Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 10th October 2013, 12:48   #1
janvangastel

Gimbal head or video head for digiscoping: what's best?

I intend to buy a wooden Berlebach tripod for digiscoping because of it's good vibration damping. Better then many carbon tripods and much less expensive. I also want a good head on top of it. I think most use a video head, but I also read good reviews about gimbal heads. I have read vibration tests of tripods and videoheads, but not of gimbal heads. Any good or bad experiences, or maybe someone who uses or has used both types? Are gimbals more prone to vibration then video heads (I wonder why most people don't use them)?

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 16th October 2013, 06:55   #2
janvangastel

I didn't buy a gimbal head because someone who had experience with such a head, told me that a video head workes better for digiscoping. Yesterday I bought a Gizzo G2380 video head. It workes very well, combined with a Swarovski balance plate. I was lucky to find a Gitzo G1327 tripod for a very reduced price. This tripod is discontinued, but I found one in a photo store in Amsterdam.

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: