Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 7th August 2013, 11:42   #1
matthewlissimore
wildlife illustration & photography

Digital Wildlife Paintings

Hi Guys hope everyone is well. I thought i'd share some of my digital work, i normally work traditionally but I have done some painting in photoshop using a drawing tablet. See what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nuthatch.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	342.0 KB
ID:	456507  Click image for larger version

Name:	Long-tailed Tit.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	424.1 KB
ID:	456508  
Old Wednesday 7th August 2013, 12:40   #2
Adam W

I'm a bit of a traditionalist myself so I was expecting to not like these when I opened the thread but I must say these are really nice.
Old Wednesday 7th August 2013, 23:47   #3
matthewlissimore

Cheers Adam, thanks for your kind words.
Old Monday 9th September 2013, 17:53   #4
Kev S

They are very good , have'nt seen any done like that before very impressive.
Old Tuesday 10th September 2013, 10:35   #5
abbotalefan

Interesting stuff - how long do these take?
Old Tuesday 10th September 2013, 22:00   #6
Liquid Len

Nice work. Are these created 'from scratch' or are they based on photos? The background in the Long-tailed Tit at least looks to be a photo over which you have painted the bird, is that correct? How do you find PS to paint with given that it's main function is photographic manipulation? The difficulty of finding traditional drawing media such as scraperboard and lineboard these days has led me into digital artwork over the past few years. I use Artrage which has to be the best value drawing/painting software package available - examples of work produced using Artrage attached. A trial version can be downloaded here:

http://www.artrage.com/artrage-demos.html

It's so intuitive to use and the tools are responsive and easily customisable, especially when using a tablet. It's just like 'real' painting only without all the mess!

LL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SG.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	462910  Click image for larger version

Name:	TS.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	462911  Click image for larger version

Name:	NH.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	462912  
Old Monday 23rd September 2013, 15:37   #7
matthewlissimore

They can take a few days with the pass I paint them. The backgrounds are photographs that I have taken that are blurred using a tool in Photoshop. The birds are painted from scratch and so are the branches and the tree. Great digital paintings, the sparrow is my favourite.
Old Monday 2nd December 2013, 12:53   #8
postcardcv
Super Moderator

I have just got a sketching app for my ops and started to play with doing some birds pictures (basing them on photos) I was pleased with my results until I found this thread! I clearly have a long way to go yet, but at least it is fun and like you say much less messy than painting. I can sit and do this with the kids buzzing around with no fear of paint being sent flying,

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 2nd December 2013, 22:31   #9
Suzanne Walsh

These are better than some that I've seen, and certainly nicer than I was expecting. The traditionalist in me still thinks of this as an image rather than a painting though. Maybe it shows that I'm now too old. Kind of like when you think Police men are too young lol The sad thing is I'm only 41!

Do you have a touch screen brush/pen for these, or are you using a mouse and keyboard?

Suzanne
Old Wednesday 4th December 2013, 20:31   #10
Liquid Len

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne Walsh View Post

Do you have a touch screen brush/pen for these, or are you using a mouse and keyboard?

Suzanne
Hi Suzanne,

Like Matthew, my pieces are drawn from scratch and are not simply manipulated photographs; neither are my backgrounds. Unless you are using a tablet computer such as an iPad (other brands available!), a Wacom tablet or similar is far superior to mouse and keyboard used with your desktop computer. Using a digital 'pen' and tablet gives greater control and accuracy and makes it feel more like using traditional tools. With the digital art packages available today, their capabilities and 'feel', you should be able to produce very painterly pieces which, when printed on a good quality printer should be every bit as much a 'piece of art' as a painting produced with traditional media. Packages such as Artrage and Corel Painter also give you the opportunity to emulate many different media such as oils, watercolors, pencil, coloured pencil, pen and ink etc in your artworks and can be made to mix, apply, layer and blend in very similar ways to the real thing - without the mess, as I said previously.

LL

Last edited by Liquid Len : Wednesday 4th December 2013 at 20:42.
Old Monday 9th December 2013, 17:55   #11
Suzanne Walsh

Thank you very much for the info!

Suzanne
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: