• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with the EOS M (1 Viewer)

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I haven't done any digiscoping for a while but fancied having another go so started looking at camera options. I read lots of threads on here about various cameras but was not sure what to go for so thought I would try the EOS M that I already have. The kit lens was no good as there was no point in the range where I could completely remove vingetting (using it with a Sawro 80HD and 30x eyepiece). So I decided to try it with the Canon 40mm f2.8 (using the adapter to retain AF). All in all it seems like a decent set up, the screen is decent making getting the scope focused quite easy (no focus peaking though). So far I have only had a chance to try it for some shots of birds in the garden and nearby fields, but so far so good. I will have to get out and try it in the field soon.

Attachments

• IMG_2287.jpg
    IMG_2287.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_2248.jpg
    IMG_2248.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_2065.jpg
    IMG_2065.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_2150.jpg
    IMG_2150.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_2039.jpg
    IMG_2039.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 253
I haven't done any digiscoping for a while but fancied having another go so started looking at camera options. I read lots of threads on here about various cameras but was not sure what to go for so thought I would try the EOS M that I already have. The kit lens was no good as there was no point in the range where I could completely remove vingetting (using it with a Sawro 80HD and 30x eyepiece). So I decided to try it with the Canon 40mm f2.8 (using the adapter to retain AF). All in all it seems like a decent set up, the screen is decent making getting the scope focused quite easy (no focus peaking though). So far I have only had a chance to try it for some shots of birds in the garden and nearby fields, but so far so good. I will have to get out and try it in the field soon.

Nice set of photos…. mirror less cameras really shine at this task.

:t:

Nice set of photos…. mirror less cameras really shine at this task.

:t:

Thanks - I agree that the mirrorless cameras seem to be the way forward for digiscoping (for me at least) though clearly a pocketable compact will be preferable for many.

You should be happy with those.
I wish I could use my GX 1 for digiscoping as I like Canon glass.
Neil.

You should be happy with those.
I wish I could use my GX 1 for digiscoping as I like Canon glass.
Neil.

Yeah so far I am pleased with the results, better than I have managed with other mirrorless cameras. I agree about the G1X, it is a superb camera with great IQ not too cure why I sold mine... I wonder if the mkII will be any good for digiscoping.

I still haven't got out birding with the EOS M but have been doing a few more back garden shots.

Attachments

• IMG_2517.jpg
    IMG_2517.jpg
    562.2 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_2767.jpg
    IMG_2767.jpg
    564.6 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_2394.jpg
    IMG_2394.jpg
    553 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_2311.jpg
    IMG_2311.jpg
    595.9 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_3052.jpg
    IMG_3052.jpg
    742.6 KB · Views: 162
I am still enjoying using the M for digiscoping in the garden, hopefully will get out birding with it soon.

Attachments

• IMG_3698.jpg
    IMG_3698.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_3419.jpg
    IMG_3419.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_3256.jpg
    IMG_3256.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_3513.jpg
    IMG_3513.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_3436.jpg
    IMG_3436.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 130
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back