Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 15th May 2013, 18:00   #1
hgalbraith

Vortex Razor 65mm review

I took delivery of the Vortex Razor with the 16-48x zoom a few days ago and have been using it in the field quite a lot since then.

First, some background: my usual scope is the Kowa 88mm prominar with the 20-60 zoom. Great scope, but a bit bulky for the foreign travel that I do. So, I was looking for a smaller, lighter travel scope. At first I considered mainly swaro and Leica 65mm scopes, both of which run these days at about $3k - not cheap! Then I heard about the new vortex and was urged to try it out. I am glad that I did. At $1200 this is astonishing value. It may not be quite as good as its more expensive competitors but it is pretty close. First, there is the relatively large field of view (much bigger than the new swaro and Leica zooms) which makes it much easier for finding birds in a tropical canopy. Then there is the terrific resolution - close to or as good as the swaro or Leica. And the image is pretty sharp right out to the edge. It is both smaller and lighter than the expensive competitors and fitted on to my carbon fibre tripod it is about a pound lighter than my Kowa (makes a big difference over a long day in the field).

So, I would highly recommend this scope.i just do not see how they can produce such quality for such a low price. Maybe the question is really - why are the swao and Leica and ok scopes so expensive for such a small increment in quality?
Old Friday 2nd May 2014, 23:57   #2
tvcrider

Thanks so much for your review. Your comparison to the Kowa 88mm was very helpful. The Kowa would have been my dream scope, but it's too heavy for both my day pack and wallet. I had been looking at the Vortex Razor 85mm and I had completely ignored the 65mm model.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: