• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owl, yes but? (1 Viewer)

blev80

Hi,

Poor pictures of this young owl taken yesterday morning and evening?
The recording was made last night.

Do you have an idea?

Thanks

Bruno

Attachments

• _14Y4852.jpg
    _14Y4852.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 86
  • _14Y4858.jpg
    _14Y4858.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 87
  • _14Y4886.jpg
    _14Y4886.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0471.mp3
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
Very cute LEO baby. We get them round here a later in the summer. Amazing thing is they can fly from tree-to-tree long before they develop adult-sized wings. Very distinctive feeding-call too. Lovely photos!

The iris colour can be tricky because depending on who you speak to definitions of a solid colour change and there is minor variation. Adult LEO generally show an Orange eye, whilst SEO show Yellow. However, I've found with juveniles that this doesn't always fit.

I would agree with everyone above that this is a juvenile LEO, although I wouldn't be making this ID on its eye-colour.

Thank you. As the first identification was the tawny owl, I was talking about eye color to the difference between the tawny owl and long-eared owl, not to identify with certainty the bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back