Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 25th March 2014, 18:01   #1
CalvinFold

Experimenting with a PowerShot ELPH 330 HS?

I recently picked-up a Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS as a little point-n-shoot for casual use.

I can't use it for digiscoping (still have my trusty old CoolPix 4500 for that), and that wasn't the goal. But the ELPH does video, and I thought..."hmmmm, can I shoot video of the same subjects through the scope?"

So my questions:

--I do my digiscoping afocally. I have a camera bracket to get the ELPH pointed at the eyepiece...is this viable?

--If anyone has tried this...is just draping a dark cloth over the camera and eyepiece enough to block the light? Or to at least test the idea before I make something like a piece of fitted black pipe?

--Can anyone familiar with the current ELPH lineup give me some idea what settings would work the best? For example, where should I set the zoom? What camera/video settings/modes should I use?

--My current digiscoping setup is here, and I would be taking the Coolpix and Digimount off the eyepiece before attaching a camera bracket and the ELPH.

I know, this sounds goofy, but I figured I have the basic components, might be fun to just try. :)

Last edited by CalvinFold : Tuesday 25th March 2014 at 18:03.

BF Supporter 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 29th August 2014, 17:00   #2
CalvinFold

Well, alot of people read this, but no one responded; figured I'd follow-up:

The short answer is I couldn't even get acceptable photo results, didn't even try video. Dealing with the external zoom and perfect aiming of the camera was too much trouble.

Guess I prefer the "camera more firmly connected to the scope" methods like t-rings or more solid afocal mounts.

On the plus side, away from the scope, the zoom on the 330 HS is really decent and the color is good, histogram is decent once I fiddled with the settings, so it was a great choice for a relatively inexpensive point-and-shoot when not digiscoping.

But despite the image noise and lower resolution inherent to my Coolpix 4500, it's still a better digiscoping camera. ;-p

BF Supporter 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: