• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Behaviour of Grey-headed Goshawk. New Guinea (1 Viewer)

Hi!

I'm new at the forum and this is my first topic.

Alberto García Ríos and I visited Papua New Guinea in the summer of 2011.

On 2nd August, at Boystown road, near Kiunga, in company of our guide Edmund and his assistants, we saw and recorded on video a rather bizarre behaviour of Grey-headed Goshawk. At least I couldn't imagine such behaviour for a raptor. It perched upright on top of a tree and turned on itself while it was vocalizing and stretching vertically its wings in fast movements. We don't know if this was a territorial behaviour or a courtship display, but we didn't see any other individual nearby.

I've searched information about the Grey-headed Goshawk's behaviour, but I've found nothing special for this species in the bibliography I've consulted. I've searched papers through google without success, but I don't know if it is the best way to search papers.

We would like to know if the described behaviour is already known.

You can see the video at:

http://ibc.lynxeds.com/video/grey-headed-goshawk-accipiter-poliocephalus/perched-upright-top-tree-turned-itself-while-was-v

Kind regards,

Juan Carlos Marín

Hi Juan and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Bird Behaviour forum, where it will probably more people will get to see it. I also subscribed you to the thread so you don't lose track of it.

I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

Hi again Juan, I don't know if it's me but I can't find a video to watch on that link.

We have no pictures in the Gallery as yet for this species, did you get any? Even a video grabbed image would be wonderful.

I had no problem with the link so try again D. Also there are still photos of this species just below the video.

Hi Juan and a warm welcome to you :t:

How strange. Three attempts to view it and I just had a grey screen where the video should be, but it works now. Must have just been a temporary hiccup.

What wonderful pictures you've got of him Juan and he shows great action too, doesn't he.

I can see the video no problems too.

No experience of the species, and never seen anything like this before, but it has the hallmarks of display — very stylised, repetitive and obvious, from a conspicuous perch, and accompanied by signalling calls. Even if no others in view, very likely it is being watched by potential mates concealed in the canopy.

3 attempts and still no joy, however i am on the phone, i will try to on the laptop, i can see the photos but just a blank screen and a script telling me what i should be able to see.

Damian

LOL that's what I kept getting to start with Damian. It did eventually clear for me, so keep trying - it's worth it - nice bird that.

Hello Juan Carlos,
if you have taken any photos yourself, could we talk you into posting one to the gallery here? or could you talk the photographer into becoming a birdforum member and posting one?

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back