Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 23rd June 2014, 21:09   #1
ibirdeverywhere
Swarovski 8x32EL Swarovision Swarovski CL8x30 Companion Vortex Razor 20-60x85 HD Gitzo GT2532

Attaching a laser to my Vortex 85mm HD scope

Has anyone ever seen some type of bracket that I could readily adapt to attach a pen laser to the side/top of my Vortex scope to aid in quickly locating a specific subject in the eyepiece at higher magnifications?

Some of the older scopes included a small plastic peep site on the side, however, the Razor does not include that accessory. Thanks--Ed
Old Tuesday 24th June 2014, 00:00   #2
OPTIC_NUT

Excellent idea: a laser finder. Avoid hikers and pilots.

Just a tip before you start: I did tape a laser on some binoculars, and it was very educational.
I shimmed the angle with a little putty at first, and I was glad I did: turns out the laser dot
from a $5 or $30 laser pointer is a bit messy 100 feet out. So the first thing is: don't
take the quality of the dot for granted...it might take a better pointer. I got a good green one
for $60 eventually. 1-1/2" at 150 ft.

For aiming, don't forget that at 300 ft, 0.1 degrees is 6.3 inches.
In other words, attaching the laser to a fixture or platform a few inches away is a lot
easier and barely matters for your field of view. Then you can have the precision
and fun of using screws and wedges and such to aim the thing on a plywood or other base.
You can't see center that precisely with a 2 degree view.

You might also draw some inspiration from little finder scopes, maybe mounting the
laser in one of those 3-screw mounts. People are often selling off their little finder,
and you could tape that on with some stability. Oops, now I'm going to fiddle with this.

Last edited by OPTIC_NUT : Tuesday 24th June 2014 at 00:07.
Old Tuesday 24th June 2014, 12:17   #3
richard866945
Bino repair man

red dot finder to scope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibirdeverywhere View Post
Has anyone ever seen some type of bracket that I could readily adapt to attach a pen laser to the side/top of my Vortex scope to aid in quickly locating a specific subject in the eyepiece at higher magnifications?

Some of the older scopes included a small plastic peep site on the side, however, the Razor does not include that accessory. Thanks--Ed
This page shows it can be done.
http://www.actionoptics.co.uk/Red%20Dot%20Finder.htm
Old Tuesday 24th June 2014, 14:07   #4
jmepler
It's just a flesh wound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard866945 View Post
This is the type of aiming aid that you want, NOT a laser. A red dot scope uses a half silvered mirror and superimposes a red dot on the unmagnified view. I have used one in the past, and they can be quite helpful.

Mike
Latest lifer: #356 Common Greenshank
Latest Pennsylvania lifer: #325 White-winged Tern
Latest Lancaster County lifer: #297 Least Tern
Use eBird to record your bird sightings.
Old Tuesday 24th June 2014, 17:07   #5
OPTIC_NUT

That looks a lot better than the laser.
Looks like a guide scope bracket. They did all the homework, though.
A laser is fantastic for looking at shake, but that matters little for spotters,
except to say get a good tripod.

Last edited by OPTIC_NUT : Tuesday 24th June 2014 at 17:20.
Old Wednesday 25th June 2014, 05:09   #6
ptickner

My 85mm Razor HD came from Vortex with a little peep scope on the side. I wonder when they discontinued that feature. I've had mine for a couple of years.
Old Wednesday 25th June 2014, 16:46   #7
ibirdeverywhere
Swarovski 8x32EL Swarovision Swarovski CL8x30 Companion Vortex Razor 20-60x85 HD Gitzo GT2532

Evidently Vortex did provide the peep site on their scopes at first, but Swarovski supposedly sued them for patent infringement, and Vortex felt they had to remove it from the scope.
Old Wednesday 25th June 2014, 17:00   #8
dalat

Anyway these little sights on the side of the scope are pretty useless. Not sure what you have in mind with the laser pointer (finding birds?), but as long as you have an angled scope, you should try the cable tie aiming device before anything else. Costs nothing and works perfectly.
Old Friday 27th June 2014, 20:55   #9
ibirdeverywhere

My main intention was quicker sighting in of my Vortex angled scope on a target. I have always used a non-angled scope, so for some reason, I find it harder to sight in a target, such as a shore bird etc.

It might just take more practice learning how to sight in the angled scope- if anyone has any hints of faster sighting using an angled scope, I would appreciate it.
Old Monday 7th July 2014, 05:16   #10
OPTIC_NUT

I do love using the 'red dot' guide on the Celestron scope. It made it very easy to set up
tracking for following an eagle and a jet today at 70x. I set the red dot where the airplane or
the bird was headed and jumped to the eyepiece. The eagle was about 400 yds away when I started.
The airplane was a mile but it's a big object.
Old Monday 7th July 2014, 14:39   #11
MPeoples

Use a Daisy BB gun Site, http://www.daisy.com/node/138

Mike
Old Monday 7th July 2014, 14:57   #12
Ratal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalat View Post
Anyway these little sights on the side of the scope are pretty useless. Not sure what you have in mind with the laser pointer (finding birds?), but as long as you have an angled scope, you should try the cable tie aiming device before anything else. Costs nothing and works perfectly.

This is the best advice a birder with an angled scope will ever get. Cheap, deadly effective, and opens up a whole new high speed world for a scope.
Old Thursday 17th July 2014, 06:14   #13
gulf1263

Attaching a laser to my Vortex 85mm HD scope

IMHO, attaching a laser to an optical instrument may not be a very good idea.
Accidentally painting someone or something could land you in trouble, especially if it paints an aircraft, vehicle or person.
Having an FBI Swat team kick your door in and haul you off in handcuffs makes it very unattractive...murphy's law and all that.
It is illegal in many states and the statutes don't allow for "accidental" use.
Heads up display sights are very cheap, SWFA or Cameralandny can get you a sight and mount or your nearest Cabela's, Bass Pro, et al.
Art
Old Friday 18th July 2014, 02:22   #14
OPTIC_NUT

It's the green lasers that get the avaiators and govt. riled up.
People flash pilots.

I think the cable tie would be handy at 60x or 40x,
but it's nice to have the precision of the red-dot sight at 80x.
And...looks like the laser, but no angry agents.
Old Friday 18th July 2014, 16:14   #15
ceasar

I don't think it is a laser. You first focus the telescope on a distant object (church steeple is good) with the device on it. It projects a red dot onto a mirror which you then line up with same object the telescope is focused on and you lock it in so you can use it as an aiming device -- if I remember correctly. I haven't used mine for a while. It's not hard to figure out.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 21st July 2014, 13:30   #16
OPTIC_NUT

Correct: definitely not a laser, and not projected outward at all.
Old Tuesday 29th July 2014, 14:35   #17
OPTIC_NUT

I tried a variation on the "cable tie aiming device"
for an astro telescope (70mm f/10).
(Disclaimer: a 70mm f/10 scope is mainly useful for driving-deployment/short hike/greater-than-200-yd range watching:
not as quick or close-by as with spotter)

Anyway, there are two main differences going from spotter to astro:
1) horizontal sighting is trivial by looking along the barrel
2) the height of a sighting device is much lower as seen from 'just over the eyepiece' than for a spotter.

The adapted result: The "twist-tie aiming device"

You simply tape a baggie twist tie on the front top with a little loop twisted in it.
Adjust the loop height easily...it's a wire twist tie. Similarly awesome results.

The red-dot is nice, but I had a dust bag on it and it takes some time to place the eyes
to see the dot. Removing the red-dot from the telescope makes it less awkward to
put in the back seat or the trunk.

I'm sold on cable-tie now, but I had to adapt it. A little 'L' of thin metal might be even better.

Last edited by OPTIC_NUT : Tuesday 29th July 2014 at 14:38.
Old Monday 16th February 2015, 21:34   #18
HighHunter1232

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/...psdqhkc8qy.jpg
http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/...psk65oudxa.jpg

I have a vortex sparc II mounted on my Vortex Viper 80mm scope. I LOVE this setup.
Old Tuesday 17th February 2015, 16:21   #19
ptickner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighHunter1232 View Post
I have a vortex sparc II mounted on my Vortex Viper 80mm scope. I LOVE this setup.
Looks good. I see the Viper has the picatinny rail attachment. I wish the Razor made it that easy.

Last edited by ptickner : Tuesday 17th February 2015 at 16:30. Reason: didn't notice above post said Viper not Razor
Old Wednesday 1st April 2015, 16:04   #20
ibirdeverywhere

Yes, I agree, if the Razor had a picatinny rail attachment, then you could easily mount a red dot sight. I did come across a system that used to be offered by birdwatching.com that consisted of using an epoxy to glue a rail on the sun shade of a scope that would allow a red dot sight to be mounted on it. The system that they offered was only for a very limited number of scopes and it was not suitable for the Razor.

Does anyone else have any ideas about mounting a red dot scope on a Razor, 85mm? This option seems much safer than a laser, and more consistent that a cable tie. Thanks
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: