Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 12th March 2015, 05:05   #26
peatmoss

Hello John.

Thanks for your kind words. The only reference I see on the Meopta website regarding the HD's body construction concerns the chassis, which is stated to be magnesium alloy. http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/sh...rs/ctgBus.html My feeling is that this is definitely not a lightweight body construction, yet it is not as noticeably heavy as some other 8x32s. I suppose you could say that it has a reassuring amount of heft. Having said that, I can appreciate why one might want to shave 4 oz off of a binocular's weight if one could, and so I understand the attraction of models like the Terra. Btw, I very much enjoyed your review of that model, and I might eventually try one of those too! I also consider the 8x32 SE to be a sort of benchmark, and when someone of your experience finds that the Terra can stand up to the SE, well, it certainly piques my interest.

About the glare issue, I too have occasionally experienced the feedback you describe off of my eyeglasses. I can't remember which binoculars I had been using, but I do recall it happening in the past. In the case of the HDs, I don't think feedback accounts for the glare I was seeing because I tested both with and without my glasses. What I would do, upon seeing the any glare, would be to hold the binoculars steady and then carefully back my eyes away, so that I could get an idea about what was causing the glare. And, regardless of whether or not I was wearing my glasses, the glare seemed tied to shiny areas just outside the exit pupils. I don't want to overblow this issue. I've certainly seen binoculars with worse performance in this aspect. But it did handle that tough lighting situation a bit worse than the conquest (which was not perfect either). Here is my attempt to photograph an example of the bright area around the exit pupil (not a great photo.... sorry!). The light source is at the 9 o'clock position, and the brightening is around the 3 o'clock position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RSCN1840.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	535600  
Old Thursday 12th March 2015, 19:27   #27
joe101

I wonder how is the focussing wheel ?
Old Monday 16th March 2015, 22:39   #28
penchant4birds

Peatmoss - can you shed some light on how to attach the rain cover for the optical lens. It is very loose when placed on the end of the binoculars. It has slots that might accommodate the strap to retain the cover when not on the bins yet I cannot thread the strap through the slots over the clip for the quick release strap. How do you make sure that the loose cover does come off inadvertently? Thanks.
Old Monday 16th March 2015, 23:12   #29
ceasar

Hi P4B,

Welcome to Bird Forum!

If Peat doesn't mind here is how I do it.

Put your binocular upright on a table, objectives down. Put the rain guard on the oculars. Take one of your straps and pull the little buckle up it a few inches. Now take the tip of the strap and push it up through the bottom of the bracket on the binocular and then up through the one on the rain guard. Then take the tip and thread it up through the little buckle and adjust the length. Do the same thing with the other strap except do not thread it through the rain guard. That way when you take the rain guard off to use it it will dangle loosely from one side of the binocular.

Bob

PS: For me, any way, it is always a pain in the butt to do this.

Last edited by ceasar : Monday 16th March 2015 at 23:22.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 17th March 2015, 03:40   #30
peatmoss

Hi Penchant, and welcome to the forum! Bob's description sounds good to me. If it's helpful, here is a photo of how I loop the strap through the rainguard on the right hand side.

Hi Joe101. The focuser turns clockwise to infinity, and the full travel on it is about 1.3 revolutions. The focuser on mine is starting to smooth out nicely (not as much stiction as when it was new).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1841.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	536181  

Last edited by peatmoss : Tuesday 17th March 2015 at 03:42.
Old Tuesday 17th March 2015, 15:11   #31
joe101

Quote:
Originally Posted by peatmoss View Post
Hi Penchant, and welcome to the forum! Bob's description sounds good to me. If it's helpful, here is a photo of how I loop the strap through the rainguard on the right hand side.

Hi Joe101. The focuser turns clockwise to infinity, and the full travel on it is about 1.3 revolutions. The focuser on mine is starting to smooth out nicely (not as much stiction as when it was new).

Thanks for the info, I am planning to get a pair of waterproof 8x32. Weighing my options between the SV, conquest HD and the meopta. By far the cheapest and might suit the rough and tumber purpose that I am going to use it for.
Old Wednesday 18th March 2015, 05:53   #32
oetzi

@penchant

I put the buckle very close above the point where the straps fits through the slot, thus limiting upward travel of the cover.

My choice with roofs, however, is to get rid of these pesky covers and fit Swarovski´s Binoguard EL. It fits all my roofs, Swaro or not, and is a great piece of kit.
http://www.outdoor-professionell.de/...nglas-zubehor/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P3174610.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	536345  Click image for larger version

Name:	P3174611.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	536346  Click image for larger version

Name:	P3174613.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	536347  Click image for larger version

Name:	P3174614.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	536348  
Old Thursday 19th March 2015, 23:28   #33
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe101 View Post
Thanks for the info, I am planning to get a pair of waterproof 8x32. Weighing my options between the SV, conquest HD and the meopta. By far the cheapest and might suit the rough and tumber purpose that I am going to use it for.
You have mentioned 3 very good choices. I would rate them as
best, and then midrange, price and optics have a great deal to do
with that, as well as it should.
I have experience with the SV and the Conquest and rank them highly,
but not in the smaller size. My best binoculars need to be 42mm or
better.

In your case and for the purpose check out those midrange models,
I have not tried the Meopta, but everything I find from those I
trust, recommend them.

Jerry
Old Friday 20th March 2015, 12:03   #34
joe101

I already have a pair of 42s and also have a pair of nikon EII 8x30 which are my favourite pair of bins but I want to get a pair of binoculars for camping and I can be rough with it. It is for trips where I am not birding but want a pair as a side thing to do like on a trek or fishing.

Last edited by joe101 : Friday 20th March 2015 at 12:30.
Old Sunday 29th March 2015, 11:25   #35
kestrel1

New MeoproHD also in x56 version
http://www.astroshop.eu/meopta-binoc...x56-hd/p,46750

hope that Meopta will upgrade the entire Meostar line with HD also.
Old Saturday 6th June 2015, 12:50   #36
rj112275

Meopro HD 8x42

I have a pair of Meopro HD 8x42 that I bought mainly to compare... since there haven't been many reviews of the new HD models. They are very impressive at their price point. I'll more than likely stay with my Swarovski's and these will sell, new for about $700, which I figure is a bargain for the glass.

The ergonomics were comfortable. They seem a little on the narrow side when holding, which is fine for my medium sized hands. Eyecups were comfortable and easily adjustable. The focus wheel was smooth and quick. I must admit that I wish my Swaro SLCs focus wheel had this feel.

Optically, I only have one complaint which is a little distracting glare/reflection at the right angles of view looking back toward the sun. Chromatic aberration is not a factor and I noticed no fringing whatsoever. I thought the colors were vibrant and true. The sharpness was superb and where there might be a little edge distortion, it was not distracting or any more than my SLC's. They perform well in low light and provide good contrast in shadows.

Overall, I have no major complaints and lots of positives for these Meopro HD 8x42. I see these retail for $849. That's probably a good price point for these. They should compete well with the higher priced Vortex Razor HD in my mind. They remind me a lot of the Razor HD, but the Meopro HD have better glass and a better view in my opinion. They definitely beat the Razors when it comes to color fringing, which the Meopro has none and the Razor's become distracting once you notice it.

Hope this helps a little bit, if you're interested in the newer HD glass from Meopta. Very good job Meopta.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: