Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 16th July 2015, 21:29   #1
Sixkiller66

"PCF WP" Series vs famous classics ?

Well guys, to continue my original thread on the main section, I would like to hear from someone who owns this popular porro, dubbed Pentax PCF WPII, and another classic such as a Zeiss or Swift...
I'd like to hear about on axis sharpness of the two, field durability, craftsmanship etc...

Thanks I have been enjoying this website very much, so many good smart and technical people around.
Hopefully I'll stay long enough to contribute back :)
Old Thursday 16th July 2015, 21:38   #2
Binastro

. Personally I would go for a perfect condition Zeiss.

Swifts vary enormously in type and quality.
The 8.544 HR 5 I like except there are too many ghost images for astronomy looking very near streetlights. But I still use it a lot.

I'm not sure about Chinese Pentaxes, I hope they have improved. Again Pentax binoculars vary enormously. Some are excellent, some okay, some poor and some have been ridiculous. At their best Pentax optics have been superb, but this was mainly their top quality telescopes and eyepieces.
Old Thursday 16th July 2015, 22:53   #3
Sixkiller66

Thanks Binastro !
Only problem is those Mint Zeiss are more than the new price of this Pentax, hehe :)

What was the last Pentax you have looked through ?
Old Friday 17th July 2015, 14:57   #4
Binastro

. The last Pentax I looked through was the PapilioII 6.521, which is really very good for the money.

I appreciate that a good Zeiss binocular costs more than the 8 x 40 Pentax.
If you have no alternative then I think you have a good chance of getting a reasonable 840 Pentax by mail order. It is just that if you are able to try them out you can make sure that they are well collimated and optically good.

Buying remotely is a lottery, but if it is no good I suppose you can just send it back for an exchange or refund.
Old Sunday 26th July 2015, 16:15   #5
brocknroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixkiller66 View Post
Well guys, to continue my original thread on the main section, I would like to hear from someone who owns this popular porro, dubbed Pentax PCF WPII, and another classic such as a Zeiss or Swift...
I'd like to hear about on axis sharpness of the two, field durability, craftsmanship etc...

Thanks I have been enjoying this website very much, so many good smart and technical people around.
Hopefully I'll stay long enough to contribute back :)

I had the 20x60 PCF WP, the II has a sightly different body style, but AFAIK, the same optics, which at least in my unit and also the one Steve (mooreorless) had were under par compared to earlier models. The 20x60 PCF V made in Japan was much better optically. Only 20x bin that I've owned or tried that could separate the rings of Saturn from the body of the planet. That's sharp! I've even used 20x80s which theoretically should have had better resolution but Saturn still looked like a football.

The 8x40 has a rather narrow FOV. If you prefer porros, I think the Vixen 7x50 and 8x42 Forestas are better choices with the caveat that they have oversized eyecups. They are also WP.

Old Monday 27th July 2015, 22:12   #6
Sixkiller66

Thanks Gentlemen !
I couldn't find the Japanese Pentax :(
In a moment of weakness I hit Buy on a used set of 92' USSR 20X60, we'll see if it's a lemon or not. Master appraiser David here said I might actually get a pretty good one if I am lucky.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: