Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 28th September 2015, 20:27   #26
looksharp65

FWIW, my Meostar 8x32 is my most used binocular, and then I have more exquisite binoculars than I care to admit.
I would like it to have a more neutral colour balance and less CA, but those things are not what I think of when I have brought it and can see that lifer.
In fact, I don't think of it at all since it suits my visual, ergonomic and practical needs with literally no effort.

This is the binocular I would need to buy again if lost, likely in the Cabela's version as Meopta took the unfathomably stupid decision not to offer the HD in Europe.

//L
Old Tuesday 29th September 2015, 01:48   #27
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

Meopta customer service stated that the transmission of the hd models should be identical to the original B1 series, so a max of 88-90% for the 8x32. I find it odd then that there is no strong color cast (I.E. yellow hue often referred to in the B1 series) in the HD series, but it is what it is.

Justin
Old Tuesday 29th September 2015, 09:54   #28
Vespobuteo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremmons View Post
Meopta customer service stated that the transmission of the hd models should be identical to the original B1 series, so a max of 88-90% for the 8x32. I find it odd then that there is no strong color cast (I.E. yellow hue often referred to in the B1 series) in the HD series, but it is what it is.

Justin
color cast is quite subjective, as is CA or RB, some see it, some don't,
I can see differences in my binos (some slightly cold or warm) but when using either of them
it's not a practical problem, more of a psychological one IMO...

Like other manufacturers Meopta is probably continuously improvning their coatings,
and their latest are likely to be found in the (Euro) HD models,
not necessarily higher transmission but a flatter curve perhaps?

and if you don't see any significant color cast, why worry?

Did you try to compare some of the B1:s with the newer HD:s?

found this review:

"The difference came in color with the SLC neu being neutral, but slightly cooler (blue), and the Meostar HD being neutral, but slightly warmer (yellow) Still, this Meostar HD was not nearly as warm as the previous generation Meostar. Keeping with the other Meopta products I tested, the Meostar HD had higher apparent contrast than the SLC neu, and provided a saturated, colorful image. The other difference came in CA control. The Meostar HD showed less CA, including NONE in the center of the field, and only slight amounts at the edge. This was quite impressive. The Meostar HD offered the SLC neu’s view with an improvement in CA control."

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-0...2-hd-binocular

Last edited by Vespobuteo : Tuesday 29th September 2015 at 10:52.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: