• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A new species of Zoothera from the Himalaya (1 Viewer)

Melanie

Germany
Zoothera salimalii or Himalayan forest thrush

New species of bird discovered in India and China by international team of scientists
Contact(s): Layne Cameron , Pam Rasmussen

A new species of bird has been discovered in northeastern India and adjacent parts of China by a team of scientists from Sweden, China, the U.S., India and Russia.

The bird, described in the current issue of the journal Avian Research, has been named Himalayan forest thrush Zoothera salimalii. The scientific name honors the great Indian ornithologist Sálim Ali, in recognition of his contributions to the development of Indian ornithology and nature conservation.

The discovery process for the Himalayan forest thrush began in 2009 when it was realized that what was considered a single species, the plain-backed thrush Zoothera mollissima, was in fact two different species in northeastern India, said Pamela Rasmussen, of Michigan State University’s Department of Integrative Biology and the MSU Museum, and coordinator of MSU’s global bird sounds website AVoCet.

Rasmussen was part of the team, which was led by Per Alström of Uppsala University (Sweden).

What first caught scientists’ attention was the plain-backed thrush in the coniferous and mixed forest had a rather musical song, whereas individuals found in the same area – on bare rocky ground above the treeline – had a much harsher, scratchier, unmusical song.

“It was an exciting moment when the penny dropped, and we realized that the two different song types from plain-backed thrushes that we first heard in northeast India in 2009, and which were associated with different habitats at different elevations, were given by two different species,” Alström said.

Along with keen field observations, the scientists had to do a lot of sleuthing with museum specimens. Investigations involving collections in several countries revealed consistent differences in plumage and structure between birds that could be assigned to either of these two species. It was confirmed that the species breeding in the forests of the eastern Himalayas had no name.

“At first we had no idea how or whether they differed morphologically. We were stunned to find that specimens in museums for over 150 years from the same parts of the Himalayas could readily be divided into two groups based on measurements and plumage,” Rasmussen said.

Further analyses of plumage, structure, song, DNA and ecology from throughout the range of the plain-backed thrush revealed that a third species was present in central China. This was already known but was treated as a subspecies of plain-backed thrush. The scientists called it Sichuan forest thrush.

The song of the Sichuan forest thrush was found to be even more musical than the song of the Himalayan forest thrush.

DNA analyses suggested that these three species have been genetically separated for several million years. Genetic data also yielded an additional exciting find: Three museum specimens indicated the presence of yet another unnamed species in China, the Yunnan thrush. Future studies are required to confirm this.

New bird species are rarely discovered nowadays. In the last 15 years, on average approximately five new species have been discovered annually, mainly in South America. The Himalayan forest thrush is only the fourth new bird species described from India since 1949.

Rasmussen is tied for the third-highest number of birds discovered in the world since 1950 and is ranked first for birds discovered in Asia, and Alström is second for Asia in the same time period.

Additional scientists who contributed to the study include Chao Zhao (China), Jingzi Xu (Sweden), Shashank Dalvi (India), Tianlong Cai (China), Yuyan Guan (China), Ruiying Zhang (China), Mikhail Kalyakin (Russia), Fumin Lei (China) and Urban Olsson (Sweden).

http://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2016/n...nd-china-by-international-team-of-scientists/

Alström P., Rasmussen P.C., Chao Zhao, Jingzi Xu, Dalvi S., Tianlong Cai, Yuyan Guan, Kalyakin M.V., Fumin Lei, Olsson U. (2016). "Integrative taxonomy of the Plain-backed Thrush (Zoothera mollissima) complex (Aves, Turdidae) reveals cryptic species, including a new species.". Avian Research 7 (1). doi:10.1186/s40657-016-0037-2

• Zoothera [mollissima] mollissima - Alpine Thrush (incl 'whiteheadi')
  • Zoothera (mollissima) sp - Yunnan Thrush
  • Zoothera [mollissima] salimalii sp nov - Himalayan Forest Thrush
  • Zoothera [mollissima] griseiceps - Sichuan Forest Thrush
Collar 2005 (HBW 10).​

Last edited:
A very well done and interesting article especially the Appendix. But I have to disagree with the appendix a little.
*Blyth explicitly describes Mavis thrush as T. musicus on page 188. Turdus musicus is the Song Thrush not the Redwing.
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/123609#page/222/mode/1up .
*Blyth also explicitly states that Turdus mollissimus was described by a bird from Darjeeling not a Hodgson bird from Nepal. “After the foregoing corrections and emandations, my paper on Darjeeling birds still contains fifteen presumed new species, of which thirteen have been received from that locality; viz….Turdus mollissimus…” He lists 13 birds and then states that of the other two. one is from Tenasserim and the other possibly Australia.
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/123810#page/502/mode/1up .
If it is a Darjeeling skin then there is no hope that the skin is still around and you cannot use Art. 75.3; ICZN ??
Hodgson sent copies of the second edition (1863) of his Catalogue of mammals and birds from Nepal and Tibet in the British Museum to many zoologists which had his hand written additions and crossing outs. Hodgson states his opinion about this bird. “258(?) Oreocincla Mollissima, Bl. Jour. A.S.B. xvi. P. 141. Handwritten above this is Zoothera rostrata Birds of India 1, 509. Turdus mollissimus, Cat. Hodgs. Coll. B. M. p. 80. T. Hodgsonii Homeyer, Pr. B. Cosp. Av. P. 269. The following is crossed out. T. oreocincloides, Cat. Hodgs. Coll. B. M. p. 80. Then, Merula wardii but Merula is crossed out and Turdulus is written over it cited to Birds of India v. 1, p. 520. Under wardii is T. micropus. Mollissimus is my rostratus the prior name. Jerdon rightly classes it as a Zoothera. My Oreocincloides is distinct & 833 (not 832) X 197 of my drawings and specimens.” 832 and 833 are references to bird numbers of mollissimus in the 1846 Catalogue. Hodgson believed that rostratus had priority over mollissimus. In the 1846 catalogue he lists under Mountain Zoothera Turdus rostratus Hodgson Quart Mag 1826. (page 79)
https://books.google.com/books?id=dhQAAAAAQAAJ&source=gbs_navlinks_s . page 41.
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/77056#page/95/mode/1up . p. 79
Ardea tarayensis Quart Mag 1826 Hodgson from page 134 of 1846 Catalogue.
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/77056#page/150/mode/1up .

Last edited:
The identity of Turdus musicus Linn. 1758 (and T. iliacus Linn. 1758) is a bit messy, actually, as Linnaeus 1758 mixed the information about these two species in the tenth ed. of Systema Naturae. The diagnosis he gave under iliacus applied to the Song Thrush, the diagnosis he gave under musicus applied to Redwing, but the references he listed below these diagnoses were mostly the other way around. In the twelfth ed., Linnaeus 1767 "corrected" the problems by switching the diagnoses. As iliacus was used for the Redwing and musicus for the Song Thrush in pre-Linnaean times, subsequent authors have accepted the names as based on the references, and the 1758 diagnoses as mistaken; thus they used musicus and iliacus in the sense of the twelfth ed. It's Hartert 1909 who introduced a disruption in this generally stable and accepted treatment, by suggesting to switch the names in order to make them match the 1758 diagnoses. This case finally ended up before the Commission, which, in Opinion 551 (1959), conserved the name iliacus for the Redwing (based on a neotype designation, making what Linnaeus wrote in the OD irrelevant), but suppressed the name musicus (under the plenary power, for the purposes of the Principle of Priority but not for those of the Principle of Homonymy).
Anyway, Turdus musicus in Blyth's (1842) pen is certainly the Song Thrush indeed, as this is the species the name was applied to in his time. (Even if in some places [such as, a bit surprisingly, the Redwing page on Wikipedia] "Turdus musicus L." may be cited as applying to the Redwing; technically this has been objectively incorrect for over half a century: since the name was suppressed by the ICZN, it is not an available synonym of anything any more.)

As long as mollissima can be identified from the description (the type having been from Darjeeling instead of Nepal would presumably not affect the ID), I think the ICZN will keep saying the same thing: there is no "exceptional need", designating a neotype is forbidden.

"Quart Mag" in the context of Hodgson shall mean the Quarterly Oriental Magazine (Calcutta). 1826 volumes: [first semester], [second semester]. But I can't find anything about birds in there. Note that the references to this journal are given with a question mark.

Last edited:
I haven't read the article yet, but was at Longcangau in Sichuan when PA and his team were stood in the middle of the road trying to trap a particularly difficult Sichuan Thrush - we didn't see the bird, but understand Birdquest (PM) saw one singing at the top of a tree in May/June 2015. A tough species to see!

As for the Himalayan species, what to do about those wintering birds which some of us have seen, eg at Naini Tal - what are / were they?!

cheers, alan

As for the Himalayan species, what to do about those wintering birds which some of us have seen, eg at Naini Tal - what are / were they?!
cheers, alan

I'm not aware that Plain-backed Thrush s.l. is a long-distance migrant, so I guess any bird seen significantly to the west of Darjeeling should be Alpine Thrush.

Just checking my records: I'm tempted to think that a Plain-backed Thrush seen in oak forest at Cheri Gonpa in the Thimphu Valley, Bhutan (~2575 m, Apr 2006) could've been salimalii...

Thanks again Laurent: I believe the question mark is for that Hodgson forgot what year of the publication. I see some notes by an anonymous author Z. about birds and who writes from the Nepal valley I believe to be Hodgson. Quarterly Oriental Magazine for 1828. The whining about being without bird publications reverberates through all his writing. Unfortunately only December 1828 is online!
https://books.google.com/books?id=lSEoAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q=Z.&f=false . Page cixii.

I haven't spotted any reference above to the rather massive bill of Himalayan Forest Thrush clearly shown in Per Alström's in-hand photo. Most web images of 'Plain-backed' show rather small-billed birds. Does anyone know how the structures (and plumages for that matter) vary between the 4 forms? Apologies if it's all in a paper, in which case please just point me in the right direction...

Andy

I haven't spotted any reference above to the rather massive bill of Himalayan Forest Thrush clearly shown in Per Alström's in-hand photo. Most web images of 'Plain-backed' show rather small-billed birds. Does anyone know how the structures (and plumages for that matter) vary between the 4 forms? Apologies if it's all in a paper, in which case please just point me in the right direction...
Alström et al 2016 provides meticulous detail, but bill differences in summary...
Compared to Z. mollissima, Z. salimalii has a noticeably longer and deeper bill, with more arched culmen and longer hook, and the lower edge of the lower mandible is more arched (vs. straight); bill usually completely or almost completely dark including base of lower mandible, whereas the base of the lower mandible is usually pale pinkish or yellowish in Z. mollissima (though may appear mainly dark also in Z. mollissima).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back