Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 10th January 2016, 20:48   #1
DonB

Goldfinch in Winter

Another one from the wayback machine long, long ago.

This is a watercolour about 20 x 30 cm. It's one of several birdy pictures I used to do as presents to my parents. They were bird lovers and really enjoyed them.

I wanted to put in a background but was terrified I'd ruin it as this was done a few days before Christmas. Now I know to put the background in first as part of the design but it's still something I struggle with. The grey 'pipe' is supposed to be a plexiglas bird feeder full of tiny seeds.

This was done from a photograph I took of the bird on a feeder outside my parent's kitchen window in Cleveland, Ohio.

The technique was rather simple once a detailed drawing was done. I used a warm grey wash to give the body some form, followed by a few washes of colour and then dry brush for the feathers and other details.

I found that using a grisaille lets me solve the form problems right away so I can then concentrate on trying it make it look like a critter. I find trying to handle the form values and the details at the same time difficult.

Thanks for having a look.

db
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25850-goldfinchCropped1.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	569787  

BF Supporter 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 31st January 2016, 19:42   #2
_TheBirdNerd_
Fledgling birder.

Beautiful! :)
Old Sunday 28th February 2016, 21:08   #3
JTMB

Very nicely captured - a familiar scene on my feeders here in WA state as well!
www.johntubbsart.com

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: