Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 28th May 2016, 10:07   #1
andydan

Tripod for use with a tammy 150-600

Hi all am after a steady tripod for use with a nikon d7200 and tamron 150-600 combo.
Been told I could get away with a monopod as the set up isnt that heavy.
I also have trouble walking so it has to be light as well.

What do you recomend for me.
Thanks andy.
Old Saturday 28th May 2016, 11:20   #2
stevo

Carbon fibre tripod,maybe Manfrotto.

Cheers.

Steve.
Old Saturday 28th May 2016, 16:43   #3
Dave Williams

I have never owned a monopod but I have never fancied one either. Might be light but at least with a tripod you can set it up and stand next to it without having to hang on to it all the time.
Old Saturday 28th May 2016, 21:22   #4
johnf3f
johnf3f

Whilst your set up is quite light that doesn't mean that it does not need good support! It is still a 600mm lens and, with your crop factor, will give a field of view equivalent to 900mm so ideally it warrants some serious support! The two main factors in your decision are budget and weight and you have already stated that it must be light! I would suggest a 2 series Gitzo but they are very pricey and I am not sure that you would want to spend that much. A very good alternative is the Feisol CT3342:

http://www.globaltechcommerce.co.uk/...ournament.html

Not perfect but it will do the job and is seriously light - and a fraction of Gitzo prices. Check that it is tall enough and remember to allow for a head when doing this. If you decide to go for a Gimbal head (I would for birds etc) then you can add about 8/9 inches to the height.

For some very good value Gimbal heads have a look here, I have the RH1 model which is great for a Canon 300 F2.8 + 1DX - a piece heavier than your Tamron Nikon setup..

http://www.lensmaster.co.uk/index.htm

I do use mono pods but they are not everyone's cup of tea. They support heavy lenses very well and help with steadiness but you cannot relax with one. You always have to keep a hand or two on it (or it will fall over) - I would suggest that you try one before you decide.

Last edited by johnf3f : Saturday 28th May 2016 at 21:23. Reason: Missed a bit!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: