Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 30th May 2016, 21:30   #1
Anand_Vishwanadha

Anyone used a Sirui K-40X Ball Head?

Hi,

I am looking at using the Sirui K-40X Ball Head in place of my Lensmaster gimbal (on my Sirui R-5214) for my AF-S Nikkor 600 mm f4 ED G VR lens.

I was wondering if anyone here has used the Sirui K-40X Ball Head and what they have to say about it.

I know the Sirui K-40X Ball Head is more ideal used with a monopod and I am considering getting the Sirui P-424 Carbon Fiber Monopod (when I can), but to begin with the idea is to use it with my existing Sirui R-5214 CF tripod.

TIA,

Anand
Old Monday 30th May 2016, 23:01   #2
johnf3f
johnf3f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand_Vishwanadha View Post
Hi,

I am looking at using the Sirui K-40X Ball Head in place of my Lensmaster gimbal (on my Sirui R-5214) for my AF-S Nikkor 600 mm f4 ED G VR lens.

I was wondering if anyone here has used the Sirui K-40X Ball Head and what they have to say about it.

I know the Sirui K-40X Ball Head is more ideal used with a monopod and I am considering getting the Sirui P-424 Carbon Fiber Monopod (when I can), but to begin with the idea is to use it with my existing Sirui R-5214 CF tripod.

TIA,

Anand
Firstly I can thoroughly recommend the Sirui P424 mono pod. It is the only support that I have that is not Gitzo and, whilst it is much cheaper, it is close in quality and is more than up to the job of supporting any current lens that Nikon or Canon make. Mine is 4+ years old and is still like new despite a fair bit of abuse.

I also have the Sirui K40X and whilst it will support your 600 F4 quite well I would not recommend it for that job.I used to have the Canon 600 F4 L IS (now the 800 F5.6 L IS) and the K40X will cope with these lenses but, to me, it is the wrong tool for the job.If you don't get the friction setting just right there is a real danger of the lens tipping - possibly with expensive/painful results. Even if you do set it right movement will be very restricted and slow with simply no chance of capturing moving subjects. Also I wouldn't use a K40X, or any other ball head on a mono pod - much better to attach the mono pod directly or via an Arca style clamp.

What is it that you don't like about the Lensmaster? Is it the whole idea of a gimbal head or is there specific problem?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: