Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 30th December 2015, 18:23   #1
CalvinFold

Bridge Camera + External Flash + Better Beamer: Advice & Techniques?

Anyone here have experience using superzoom bridge cameras with an external (hotshoe) flash and a flash extender like the Better Beamer?

I'm looking for advice on settings that might be a good starting point for my experiments. I know there is lots of DSLR advice on the subject, and I will start there lacking any other info, but wondered if anyone had advice specific to superzoom (1000+mm equivalent focal length) bridge (small sensor) cameras. "Tricks" that aren't covered in the DSLR tutorials are the most needed.

For my part, this specifically will be a Canon SX60 HS + Canon Speedlite 430EX II + FX-5 Better Beamer.

For example:
One trick with the SX60 without a flash is to use shutter priority to force the camera to shutter speeds I need (1/800 to 1/1250), keep ISO at 400 or less, and to always run -1/3 to -2/3 EV to prevent the highlights from blowing out (ETTL).

So how will this formula be affected by using flash? Aside from bringing more light to shots that would otherwise be impossible, that is.

I freely admit to an amateur understanding of the mechanics of photography at times, and have learned by experimentation...so apologies for any naïeveté.

BF Supporter 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 3rd June 2016, 11:46   #2
rka
ttbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinFold View Post
Anyone here have experience using superzoom bridge cameras with an external (hotshoe) flash and a flash extender like the Better Beamer?
Posted a similar question in another forum and no answers also. Suspect extenders not too popular.
Old Friday 3rd June 2016, 12:15   #3
CalvinFold

Might be a bias against using flash too, which I totally understand.

Old Wednesday 8th June 2016, 11:13   #4
iveljay

If you do a search on beamer you will come up with several threads in the Cameras forum on this site.

I have done fill in flash on a robin with the bird totally ignoring me, on the other hand many kilojoules of focussed light may have fried its eyes so I suspect that common sense is needed. Whilst not having used a Better Beamer a different flash focussing attachment I owned could have an 'adverse affect' on humans if not used with care, I can understand why there may be a bit of prejudice against them.
Old Wednesday 8th June 2016, 12:27   #5
CalvinFold

I get that, and I only use the Beamer on long-range subjects past the 50m mark. Or at least that's the intent, because now that I have one of course I haven't spotted birds that far out. I can shoot flash photos without the beamer at shorter ranges, and keep flash use to a minimum in any case.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: