Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 8th June 2016, 12:49   #1
Musoman
PETE - Nikon Shooter

Exposure Chip

I've just found this Macro Extension set with chips ( never used ) in my photogrpahic draw, and wondered if mounting a TN in the very smallest tube ( the 12mm ) would give me some exposure metering and / or focus confirm ?

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC5508.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	587936  

Last edited by Musoman : Wednesday 8th June 2016 at 12:53.
Old Wednesday 8th June 2016, 15:23   #2
JGobeil
Nature Photographer

I don't think they have chips. IMO they are just contacts to allow auto exposure and focus. I tried to mount a TN inside a similar M43 extension and there is not enough space (diameter). I have 3 TNs and none would fit.

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 8th June 2016, 16:06   #3
Musoman
PETE - Nikon Shooter

Ok Jules - thanks. Maybe i should think about the next size up in that 3 tube Macro set

Exposure & metering is good enough, though i think i already have it, because i have already taken a shot without the macro tube contacts and got a fairly decent exposure
and also focus confirm, so perhaps i dont even need those contacts.

The macro tube will just be quite useful for mounting a TN, but they all have contacts on

Last edited by Musoman : Wednesday 8th June 2016 at 16:08.
Old Wednesday 8th June 2016, 18:06   #4
JGobeil
Nature Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musoman View Post
Ok Jules - thanks. Maybe i should think about the next size up in that 3 tube Macro set

Exposure & metering is good enough, though i think i already have it, because i have already taken a shot without the macro tube contacts and got a fairly decent exposure
and also focus confirm, so perhaps i dont even need those contacts.

The macro tube will just be quite useful for mounting a TN, but they all have contacts on
You are lucky to get focus confirm. I don't get that with my EM-1 and SW80ED. Exposure works fine though.

I believe that there are still focus confirm chips available for Nikon and Canon. Since you already have focus confirm, they would be used only to identify the scope in the EXIF. Not worth it IMO.

Old Wednesday 8th June 2016, 20:33   #5
Musoman
PETE - Nikon Shooter

Yes, as you say , not really needed.

It just so happens that my macro tubes have the contacts, and its one of those that i want to fit a TN inside
Old Wednesday 8th June 2016, 21:15   #6
JGobeil
Nature Photographer

Quote:
Yes, as you say , not really needed.

It just so happens that my macro tubes have the contacts, and its one of those that i want to fit a TN inside
Good for you if the TN fits. If it doesn't, you can get real cheap manual extenders without the contacts on eBay. The hole is much larger.

Old Wednesday 8th June 2016, 22:27   #7
Musoman
PETE - Nikon Shooter

Yes i've seen those Jules, and used them on previous scopes for extension, but they're the threaded type. I know Paul used to use them and maybe still does, but i much prefer the bayonet mount extension tubes
Old Friday 10th June 2016, 09:09   #8
Paul Corfield

Quote:
Yes i've seen those Jules, and used them on previous scopes for extension, but they're the threaded type. I know Paul used to use them and maybe still does, but i much prefer the bayonet mount extension tubes
Managed to get a set of 3 nice bayonet ones for my Nikon. I have a set of the threaded ones too but you never know if you will get a tight fitting with that sort, they can tend to have a bit of play in them. I also use an empty Vivitar macro focusing TC that I removed the TC from. That gives me a nice helical focuser with around 30mm of travel.

Paul.
Old Friday 10th June 2016, 12:07   #9
Musoman
PETE - Nikon Shooter

The helical TC sounds like a great idea. I might have to have a hunt for one in the future
Old Friday 10th June 2016, 14:11   #10
Paul Corfield

Quote:
The helical TC sounds like a great idea. I might have to have a hunt for one in the future
Look for the Vivitar or the Teleplus ones. One is a rebranded version of the other. With that type, the front of the teleconverter extends out as you turn the rubber grip. As a 2x teleconverter they are pretty sharp too so the housing that holds the elements is worth keeping. I have two in Nikon mount, one I kept the glass in and the other I removed it, paid around 15 to 30 but they can go for much higher, seen them at 100 for example. There other types of helical macro focusing teleconverters (Elicar Macronet and Panagor) where all the movement is internal and so these don't work as a helical focuser as nothing actually extends.

Paul.
Old Friday 10th June 2016, 15:33   #11
Musoman
PETE - Nikon Shooter

Noted Paul - thanks for ther advice. I shall be keeping an eye on a VIV or a TP version.

These could well be much better in operation than my current aluminium tubing i posted about. The trouble with the tubing is that you have to release the 3 thumb screws first, move the whole camera and extension tube to the best position, tighten 3 screws again or the camera flops downwards due to weight, so ..very slow to operate

On top of that, pushing in or pulling out the camera and fixed tube is jerky to say the least. I dont really like it at all, so maybe this helical 2x would be the answer.

I think you said that on top of the scopes own focus in / out adjustment, you get about another 30mm of extension ?
Old Friday 10th June 2016, 20:39   #12
Paul Corfield

Just measured mine to be sure and it's in the region of 18mm, thought it was more than that. Still a handy amount and they are very well made with a smooth action. Thread here showing retracted and extended. http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=280352

Paul.
Old Friday 10th June 2016, 20:54   #13
Musoman
PETE - Nikon Shooter

Its quite a neat idea, so even though its only 18mm travel , i'll keep an eye out for a Nikon mount version

Ebay seems to have every mount under the sun for those viv's and tp's but not for nikon. Weird!
Old Friday 10th June 2016, 23:03   #14
Paul Corfield

That's ebay though, some weeks none and other weeks maybe a few. The other mounts like Pentax and Olympus are much more common. Last year I got two in Nikon mount, one for a bargain 12 and the other one was nearly 32. Just a case of waiting for that one seller who doesn't really know what they have and get it for peanuts.

Paul.
Old Saturday 11th June 2016, 08:54   #15
Paul Corfield

Compared a couple of TC's with the Sunagor 100-200mm TN yesterday. Used my big Vivitar TC for Pentax 6x7 medium format which I really like and it gives the least amount of mag out of the 3. There's a thread on that medium format TC here http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=302899 Second photo is Sunagor and last photo is the Vivitar macro focusing TC. Macro TC is 7 elements and the Vivitar medium format is 6 element and both give slightly more depth of focus than the TN I noticed. The medium format one is available as a Teleplus just as the macro focusing ones are. Rokunar also had one the same copy as Vivitar/Teleplus 6x7. Komura made a similar one too.

As well as Pentax 6x7 there was Mamiya 645 medium format and Hasselblad of course. All these TC's crop up in those mounts too.

Paul.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	t1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	588297  Click image for larger version

Name:	t2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	588298  Click image for larger version

Name:	t3.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	588299  

Last edited by Paul Corfield : Saturday 11th June 2016 at 09:17.
Old Saturday 11th June 2016, 13:46   #16
Musoman
PETE - Nikon Shooter

Thats a stunning set of flora shots Paul. The detail is magic

Each and every one of those mags work very nicely !

I'm definately going to keep an eye out for a 100-200mm TN and Macro helical TC
Old Saturday 11th June 2016, 13:47   #17
Musoman
PETE - Nikon Shooter

PS how did you mount the big VIV 6x7 Pentax MF TC ?
Old Sunday 12th June 2016, 17:09   #18
Paul Corfield

Quote:
PS how did you mount the big VIV 6x7 Pentax MF TC ?
I removed the tube holding the glass and mounted it in one of those cheap screw together macro tubes. Best thing is that when the front bayonet section is screwed onto the macro tube, it clamps down onto the teleconverter tube making mounting it really easy. Front element is 1.25" dia and the rear is nearly 1.75" dia. See pics.

Paul.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20160612_170519.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	588491  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160612_170456.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	588492  
Old Tuesday 14th June 2016, 05:16   #19
Musoman
PETE - Nikon Shooter

What a stroke of luck with the fitting

On another note, i decided to get myself another MAX dslr adapter, becuase the last one sold with my last scope, but i cannot buy one.

Scope And Skies website has died, so no point in going there

So google throws up Astro Imaging and they have them for sale

http://www.astro-engineering.com/pro...mera/DSLR.html

But when clicking the buy now button, it sends me to Pulsar Optical and Ian King Imaging

Neither of those have them on their website !

Its a strange world
Old Tuesday 14th June 2016, 08:59   #20
Paul Corfield

Nipon make one which you can see here. http://www.nipon-scope.com/index.php...roducts_id=113

This Orion one on Amazon but shipped from America. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orion-Super.../dp/B0181YLK96

Paul.
Old Tuesday 14th June 2016, 15:35   #21
Musoman
PETE - Nikon Shooter

Thanks Paul

By the looks of that Nippon model , its not ther undercut style. I much prefer those to the plain tube style

The other one is a lot more expensive, though will probably go for that if the two sites i mentioned dont get them in stock soon
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: