Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 11th June 2016, 11:23   #1
cango

TS Apo Pistol Handgrip ASH101 Beta 1

Well, here is the rough draft. Haven't yet tried it in the field, only indoors.

The weight balance is obviously off, putting great strain on the wrist, thus it feels heavier than it is.

The biggest drawback - not the grips fault - is that you only are able to thumb-focus in small increments. You need the right hand to pre-focus far away or close shots.

Can't say it's the ideal walk about lens-combo ;-) But hey, you work with what you have... :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1661.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	588315  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1662.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	588316  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1663.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	588317  
Old Saturday 11th June 2016, 13:55   #2
Musoman
PETE - Nikon Shooter

I like the idea, but i've tried hand holding scopes before, and even though my new ES 80 is the lightest scope i've owned, its still a handful and much as i like your idea, i cant see me doing the same

But i'd like to see you perfect your idea ..keep at it !
Old Saturday 11th June 2016, 16:37   #3
cango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musoman View Post
I like the idea, but i've tried hand holding scopes before, and even though my new ES 80 is the lightest scope i've owned, its still a handful and much as i like your idea, i cant see me doing the same

But i'd like to see you perfect your idea ..keep at it !
agree about the handful...

I have already realised that the angle of the grip is wrong. It should be straight down (90degrees) or slightly angled to the reversed side (forward). As it is now, it put too much pressure on the wrist.

will try out the idea a bit more, but If I know me, I will go back to my tripod ;-)
Old Sunday 12th June 2016, 11:28   #4
JGobeil
Nature Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cango View Post
agree about the handful...

I have already realised that the angle of the grip is wrong. It should be straight down (90degrees) or slightly angled to the reversed side (forward). As it is now, it put too much pressure on the wrist.

will try out the idea a bit more, but If I know me, I will go back to my tripod ;-)
Hi Carlos,

It is the kind of device you need 3 hands to operate unless... I wonder if it would be possible to use SIRI, CORTANA or GOOGLE NOW to voice actuate the shutter using Olympus Share on your smart phone ????

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 13th June 2016, 09:27   #5
Tord

Cool. have you thought about the following:
  • Moving the grip forward towards the centre of gravity. Not sure where the sweet spot would be, probably depending on individual preferences and anatomy/length of arms
  • Using an Olympus RM-UC1 (or third party) to operate the shutter. Either place it on the vertical grip for you to operate the shutter release with same hand as is holding the scope, or holding the RC with same hand as operates the knob (probably right hand).

My Gallery on 500px

BF Supporter 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 14th June 2016, 16:48   #6
cango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tord View Post
Cool. have you thought about the following:
  • Moving the grip forward towards the centre of gravity. Not sure where the sweet spot would be, probably depending on individual preferences and anatomy/length of arms
  • Using an Olympus RM-UC1 (or third party) to operate the shutter. Either place it on the vertical grip for you to operate the shutter release with same hand as is holding the scope, or holding the RC with same hand as operates the knob (probably right hand).
Haven't yet had time to do beta2.

"Moving the grip forward towards the centre of gravity." well, no, because that would put my thumb out of reach of the wheel.

regarding shutter operation: Using the camera shutter, by holding the camera provides me with stability to use the viewfinder (holding the camera to the face as you normally do). To move boths hands away from the camera - one to the center of gravity, and the other to operate the focus knobs/and shutter by remote, will require (I think, for me) a way to strap the camera viewfinder to my head :-)

First change I will do, is to straighten up the grip (or reverse it slightly) Then see how it feels. An option would be to center the grip more to the axis of the lens.

One hope is this: http://techartpro.com/
when it comes to mft
Old Tuesday 14th June 2016, 20:36   #7
Paul Corfield

What about some sort of arm brace like you see on catapults. I guess the system would need to be reversed so the brace is under the arm if the scope is front heavy. Grabbed this pic off the Web. You see them on guns too but the strap goes right around the arm.

Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3486.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	460.6 KB
ID:	588769  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: