Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 20th June 2016, 14:28   #1
Musoman
PETE - Nikon Shooter

Viewfinder vs Live View

I have a slight difference in focus accuracy using both methods

I check the viewfinder and focus confirm green dot, and then try focusing using live view and find that i have to re-focus

Taking the 2 shots of the same subject using both viewfinder and then live view reveals that Live View gives the more accurate photo

It seems to me then, that the viewfinder with green dot focus confirm is slightly out.

Can i do anything about this ? Live View is too slow and clunky compared to focusing through the viewfinder
Old Monday 20th June 2016, 15:28   #2
dalat

Isn't that just two different screens showing the same image, and focus achieved by the same autofocus?
Old Monday 20th June 2016, 15:49   #3
Musoman
PETE - Nikon Shooter

There's no autofocus with a Refractor scope

Both Live View and Viewfinder focus require manually focusing

I was just saying that the Green Dot focus confirm in Viewfinder manually focusing, is not in the same position when switching to Live View and zoomed in to see whether Viewfinder focusing got it right, and it appears to be off slightly, with Live View needing a refocus to aquire Green Dot focus confirm
Old Monday 20th June 2016, 15:54   #4
Paul Corfield

Does it physically look out of focus to the eye in the viewfinder when the green dot confirms focus?

Paul.
Old Monday 20th June 2016, 15:56   #5
Musoman
PETE - Nikon Shooter

No it doesn't Paul, but you dont get a magnified view in Viewfinder focusing , but without changing anything, i switch to Live View and Green Dot is off, and so i then zoom in Live View and need to slightly refocus to achieve the Green Dot
Old Monday 20th June 2016, 16:13   #6
Paul Corfield

I see, so you get a green dot in the viewfinder and on the live view screen? I just use the viewfinder on my Nikon D3300 and there's no focus confirm. It has live view but I've never been a fan of it.

Paul.
Old Monday 20th June 2016, 17:21   #7
Musoman
PETE - Nikon Shooter

Yup Paul, thats correct.

Its just that when going to live view, which i dislike, its more accurate

I find that bit strange, unless my focusing in using the viewfinder is off, which could well be the case !
Old Monday 20th June 2016, 17:35   #8
Paul Corfield

Found a thread here where someone is testing and trying to come to a conclusion for the same problem with his D800. He said in live view it uses a phase detect method while in manual focus through the viewfinder it uses a contrast detect method. Further down the page though someone says it is the other way around. In one of the replies the guy says he focuses in the viewfinder until the green dot is solid and then winds back until it starts to blink and that gives him sharp results. http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3592432

Paul.
Old Monday 20th June 2016, 18:02   #9
Musoman
PETE - Nikon Shooter

I'll have a read of that thanks

Oh, and yes ..the someone that pointed out he got the Phase and Contrast detection round the wrong way is correct. Live View uses contrast detect and Viewfinder uses Phase detect

There's a piece here on the Nikon USA page.

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans...ewfinder-focus
Old Monday 20th June 2016, 18:26   #10
Musoman
PETE - Nikon Shooter

Thats was a good read and there were good pointers to try

EG..

Set camera to Live View and zoomed right in, manual focus till green dot is solid, then exit Live View and check through Viewfinder as to where the Green Dot is now.

I found, like one of the posters, that after switching form Live View to VF, that the Green Dot was missing, and had one arrow telling me that i was focused too far to the left, ( we're talking about half mm turn on the focus wheel ) so i refocused in VF till i got the Green Dot central.

Again, 2 exact same photos revealed that Live View / zoomed in and focused was more accurate than the VF.

So in future when i use the VF manual focus, if i keep the left arrow in view just before the Green Dot appears, then focusing would be as accurate as Live View

I hope that all made sense
Old Monday 20th June 2016, 21:27   #11
JGobeil
Nature Photographer

IMO, the reason is very simple: the viewfinder has a diopter adjustment and the LCD does not...

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 20th June 2016, 22:00   #12
Musoman
PETE - Nikon Shooter

I have the diopter adjusted to its sharpest, according to my eyes. But they could be the problem

Never thought of the diopter being the problem though, so will have another look at that

Last edited by Musoman : Monday 20th June 2016 at 22:57.
Old Monday 20th June 2016, 22:41   #13
Paul Corfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGobeil View Post
IMO, the reason is very simple: the viewfinder has a diopter adjustment and the LCD does not...
If you are purely relying on the focus confirm light then the diopter adjustment isn't really going to alter the problems discussed in this thread. The focus confirm light in the viewfinder isn't as accurate as the focus confirm light in live view as the camera uses different methods to determine focus depending on what mode you are in.

Paul.
Old Monday 20th June 2016, 22:56   #14
Musoman
PETE - Nikon Shooter

Yup thats me - i dont rely on my eyes only. In manual focus using the VF, i use the green dot.

AP priority

In Live View i use 100% zoom
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: