Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 7th December 2016, 19:38   #1
Bwilliams1848

Redesign?

Is Meopta going to redesign the Meostars in the near future? This current design seems to be several years old.
Old Wednesday 7th December 2016, 19:58   #2
Bwilliams1848

Surely they can come up with something that is a few ounces lighter.
Old Wednesday 7th December 2016, 20:02   #3
Bwilliams1848

Also, do most folks utilize a bino harness when using the HD 10x42s?
Old Wednesday 7th December 2016, 20:03   #4
Bwilliams1848

I'm selling my Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42s and I am trying to determine if I'd prefer the Meoptas or save up and purchase the SLCs.
Old Thursday 8th December 2016, 01:41   #5
chill6x6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwilliams1848 View Post
Also, do most folks utilize a bino harness when using the HD 10x42s?
Hi!
Actually....I practically ALWAYS use a binocular harness REGARDLESS of binocular. If it's a binocular I actually USE....It has a harness or QD harness attachment for a harness.

Quote:
I'm selling my Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42s and I am trying to determine if I'd prefer the Meoptas or save up and purchase the SLCs.
Hmmmm. I don't know about that. I recently purchased a 10x42 Conquest HD for a good price.... Really not sure if either of the two you mentioned would be much of a move "up." The Conquest HD quite honestly is a pretty slick binocular.

BF Supporter 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 8th December 2016, 07:32   #6
typo

Quote:
Is Meopta going to redesign the Meostars in the near future? This current design seems to be several years old.
I've heard there is a replacement in development, but I understand it's a drawn out process and no one would commit themselves to even which year it might arrive.

The Meostar is only 1.5oz heavier than the new Leica Noctivid, which I personally vote for as top dog at the moment. It's more than twice the price of the Meopta of course. I find 29oz is about my limit for a neck strap, so maybe a harness is the way to go.

I'm not sure we could advise you as to which model would suite you best. The Conquest HD can be bettered, but many here find it delivers all they need in terms of performance. What characteristics are you looking to improve?

The most obvious difference in view characteristics between the Meostar HD and the SLC is the colour balance. Although I see sample variation in both models, I find the Swarovski is often slightly on the blue side of neutral and the Meostar the red side. Both have advantages and disadvantages. In terms of perceived sharpness, I'd say the last Meostar 10x42 HD I tried was a close match for the SLC, but the Meostar 12x50 HD I recently reviewed I thought was better than both IMO. That was from a September production run I understand.

Good luck,

David
Old Wednesday 4th January 2017, 12:31   #7
AGPank

I think it's odd that Meopta makes such a wider selection of HD for Cabelas. I had a pair of the 10x42, picked them up new for $900, and for that I think was a best buy. They had very good performance, on par with my SLC Hd. I liked how they felt in my hand. But the overall aesthetics leaves a lot to be desired. My pair handled CA very well, better than most I've tried. Now with retail around $1,200 there's more competition.

I bought the 8x32 Cabelas hd version for my wife and it's a very nice bino too. It's a little small for my hands and they eyecups are small for my face. I picked these up on a Cabelas sale of about 25% of retail. Tough to beat its price and performance point.

I think Meopta is very capable and underrated. I think they could tweak the Meostar and get a bigger following:
1. Magnesium frame to lighten things up, trim the armor too
2. Adjust looks for a less military look
3. Try to improve on the 10x42 FOV to distinguish itself from competition (350+)

Don't lose the good performance and value (CA control, feel, balance, standard threaded tripod adapter) to name a few.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: