Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Monday 12th December 2016, 15:15   #1
bdg1
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 40
Harness for Canon 10x42 IS L

Seeking recommendations for over the chest Binocular harness to carry Canon 10x42 IS L on hiking and backpacking trips.
bdg1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 12th December 2016, 17:49   #2
BigWok
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 136
I really love my Rick Young Ultra Light harnesses.....I have used one while backpacking with my Nikon SE and Swaro Habicht. And use it exclusively in normal use. I works great while wearing a backpack and weighs only 1oz unlike your binos.
If you use a chest strap on your backpack, make sure the top straps of the RY harness are over the top of your chest strap.
I would not really want to carry a 2.5lb binocular on serious Hiking or Backpacking trip though
BigWok is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 22nd December 2016, 22:45   #3
bdg1
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWok View Post
I really love my Rick Young Ultra Light harnesses.....I have used one while backpacking with my Nikon SE and Swaro Habicht. And use it exclusively in normal use. I works great while wearing a backpack and weighs only 1oz unlike your binos.
If you use a chest strap on your backpack, make sure the top straps of the RY harness are over the top of your chest strap.
I would not really want to carry a 2.5lb binocular on serious Hiking or Backpacking trip though
thanks, I'm looking at buying this from oregonpackworks. I try to cut weight on my backpacking gear and can afford another extra pound for quality optics :)
http://www.oregonpackworks.com/produ...binocular-pack
bdg1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 23rd December 2016, 00:54   #4
etudiant
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdg1 View Post
thanks, I'm looking at buying this from oregonpackworks. I try to cut weight on my backpacking gear and can afford another extra pound for quality optics :)
http://www.oregonpackworks.com/produ...binocular-pack
Not to be a wet blanket, but the Canon is heavy and the Rick Young is tough but very thin.
You may find that your shoulders rebel as the straps dig into them.

My suggestion would be to get an OpTech utility strap. The Canon will attach to both connectors, so it is more secure than with an end to end type strap.
Sling that over one shoulder so the Canon hangs to your side. It is a wide strap and flexible, much easier on the body than a tight string.
If that does not please, then maybe a backpack attachment for the Canon would be minimal weight and bulk.
etudiant is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 23rd December 2016, 02:55   #5
PhilR.
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 573
I occasionally carry my 10x42 IS L on a Rick Young, but find the non-elastic (they make both) bino harness from Op/Tech to be a bit more comfortable for that much weight. That being said, I would not use either harness for the Canon, if I had to wear it literally the entire day. For all day use, I would probably get a Kuiu harness.
PhilR. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 27th December 2016, 18:27   #6
bdg1
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
Not to be a wet blanket, but the Canon is heavy and the Rick Young is tough but very thin.
You may find that your shoulders rebel as the straps dig into them.

My suggestion would be to get an OpTech utility strap. The Canon will attach to both connectors, so it is more secure than with an end to end type strap.
Sling that over one shoulder so the Canon hangs to your side. It is a wide strap and flexible, much easier on the body than a tight string.
If that does not please, then maybe a backpack attachment for the Canon would be minimal weight and bulk.
IMO utility sling won't work well when wearing a backpack with hip belts. I placed an order for Binobros carry pouch.
bdg1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 28th December 2016, 00:45   #7
etudiant
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdg1 View Post
IMO utility sling won't work well when wearing a backpack with hip belts. I placed an order for Binobros carry pouch.
Hi bdg1, think you are quite right, if a backpack is involved, it gets more complicated, so I'd better defer to more experienced users. A carry pouch may well be the right choice when a big backpack is over the shoulders. .
I've been lucky and have been able to get by with a daypack only, which is quite compatible with a utility sling.

Last edited by etudiant : Wednesday 28th December 2016 at 02:35.
etudiant is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 13th January 2017, 20:50   #8
bdg1
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 40
Update on Binobro's Harness: I took the Canon 10x42 IS and Binobro harness on a week long trip. In Summary:


Pros:
- The Harness is minimalist lightweight and size Large fits Canon 10x42 IS snugly.
- It takes a bit to get used to the strapping mechanism, but it really works well. I took on short hikes, bicycle rides and on the boat and felt comfortable carrying the bino's and didn't find any fatigue. But again I have yet to try this on a extended trips like all day backpacking where you hike for 5-8 hrs.

Cons:
They could improve the design by making it easy to synch the webbing/strap and tuck the loose webbing.
bdg1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canon 10X42 L IS albatrosviajero Canon 13 Wednesday 11th July 2012 17:39
Canon IS 10x30 v. Canon IS 10x42 L Sancho Canon 44 Wednesday 19th January 2011 04:17
Binoculars Habicht 10x40 and Zeiss Fl 10x42 vs. Nikon SE 10x42 and HGL 10x42 PHA Binoculars 8 Thursday 9th September 2010 23:00

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.17042208 seconds with 19 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:34.