Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 22nd February 2017, 21:06   #1
Fedster

Advice on head+tripod for ATS 80

Hi All,

I normally use a 'monopod' I made for my scoping (I know, I am a redneck), but I would like to get a tripod for my Swaro ATS 80. I am currently thinking of a Sirui R-2204 R-Series Studio + some fluid head, ideally one that would fit said tripod and would allow a quick fitting/releasing of the scope without having to attach a plate to the scope. I am quite happy that the tripod might do (though, as a rank beginner I am always open to advice), but I have no idea of a compatible fluid head with quick release.
Old Saturday 25th February 2017, 08:44   #2
jring

Hi,

the tripod looks stable enough, regarding a head which fits the ATS80 without a plate I know Swarovskis own DH101 and the Manfrotto 128RC. I think both are not ideal if you want to digiscope - I have the 128RC and prefer a 500AH which is more stable and due to the long plate allows proper balance with a camera.

Joachim
Old Sunday 26th February 2017, 01:35   #3
safaridreaming

I think the Sirui is a great choice - i'm pretty sure they have a leg that you unscrew from the main plate so you have a monopod as well. Not sure if that feature is available on the R Series which you are looking at..

I'm currently looking at the N3203x model.

I use a Sirui VA-5 fluid head which seems to be directed towards birders and scopes...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ideo_head.html

Its a really compact head which I run both my spotting scopes..

cheers
Jeelan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0154.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	616561  Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0156.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	616562  

Last edited by safaridreaming : Sunday 26th February 2017 at 01:38.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: