Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 27th February 2017, 20:13   #1
dukiebluedoc

Question ? screw-in lens shade/hood for mm3 60ED

I just got an Opticron mm3 60 ED scope, which does not have a lens hood, but does have filter threads on the front objective.
Has anyone found a screw-in lens hood which will fit this scope.
I'm in the US (AZ) if that matters.
thanks
Caroline
PS this is a VERY helpful forum

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 2nd March 2017, 01:48   #2
etudiant

Hi Caroline,
Something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/Filter-Rubber...ens+hood&psc=1

Do note that you have to find your Opticrons exact hood fitting diameter, the threads are pretty standard.

My little Nikon ED50 uses one, with a 55mm thread, works great as a sun shade and also protects the front when I stuff the scope into the backpack.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 2nd March 2017, 09:41   #3
The-Wanderer

Caroline,

If you go to a camera store it will most likely stock a range of screw in camera filters and I suspect the staff will let you try them to find the correct size of thread. It may stock a lens hood in the same fitting so your solution may be one stop; otherwise go to the internet.

Of course, if you are miles from any where in the desert or down a canyon <g>, phone Opticron USA or email Opticron UK for the size of filter thread you need.
Old Thursday 2nd March 2017, 18:36   #4
Gander

I have the same scope, and have never found glare on the objective lens a problem. I notice that in some of the more authoritative reviews for the MM3 that lack of a sun shield was highlighted, however, it would appear that Opticron don't see this as a problem, as it does not look like a shade has been added to the MM4.

If you determine you do need a shade, you could try a gun shop. I know that there are fit all 50mm shades for scopes on rifles. Not sure if they'll have one for a 60mm though. I'm guessing you might be closer to a rifle shop than an Opticron outlet, so may be worth a try.

Lastly, I think that if I found that I needed a sun shade on the odd occasion for the scope, I'd be reaching for black plastic sheeting and some plastic tie wraps (cable ties). Now of course I'm going to have to experiment and see what can be done.
Old Monday 6th March 2017, 16:45   #5
dukiebluedoc

Thanks for all replies.
Looks like I would have to use step up or step down adapters for the Nikon lens hoods.
As I understand it, there are only a couple of brick and mortar camera stores in the Phoenix Arizona area--I may try them at one point.
I'm about to leave for a birding trip to Southern AZ so I will see how the scope performs without a hood.
Once again I appreciate this forum very much.
Caroline

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 9th March 2017, 13:43   #6
etudiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukiebluedoc View Post
Thanks for all replies.
Looks like I would have to use step up or step down adapters for the Nikon lens hoods.
As I understand it, there are only a couple of brick and mortar camera stores in the Phoenix Arizona area--I may try them at one point.
I'm about to leave for a birding trip to Southern AZ so I will see how the scope performs without a hood.
Once again I appreciate this forum very much.
Caroline
Hope that Arizona is a big success. If you have the chance to go to Portal, hummers and owls there are really splendid.

The hood comes in various sizes, but I could nor find the thread size for your Opticron even on their web site. They offer slip on objective lens covers, but not the thread size.
They should, because people who use their scope for sea watching often use a plain filter to protect the objective lens from blown grit and salt spray.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: