Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 11th March 2017, 16:15   #1
Jhanlon

Canon DSLR to Leica 25-50x wide-angle

I'm trying to find an inexpensive way to connect up by Canon 7D (Mk1) to my Leica APO-Televid 65 with the 25-50x wide-angle eyepiece.

I believe the Leica DA4 fits the eyepiece (which is large - nearly 60mm diameter so bigger than most) but it is tailored only to Leica's own Lux camera.

Has anyone tried a DIY setup for this combination? I found a universal adapter which screws onto the 40mm pancake lens I have just bought for the camera but at max aperture it is only 55mm wide so too small to fit over the Leica eyepiece.

Is it possible to attach something else like a step-up ring or something? Ideally I would need a collar long enough to fit over the entire eyepiece as the camera body is very heavy and any attachment needed would need to be robust and a snug fit to prevent additional camera shake.

Thanks for any advice.

James

I have attached a pic of the eyepiece and the only adapter I have currently
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3379.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	618245  
Old Monday 13th March 2017, 13:15   #2
Jhanlon

No replies, so I'll provide an update myself which might be useful to others. Yesterday I tried handholding the setup. Wasn't overly optimistic but surprisingly I achieved some excellent results (admitedly in good light). Might try to post some pics.

I've traditionally handheld compact cameras/ iphones for digiscoping rather than using an adapter and it seems for now I can continue to do this, though an adapter would clearly be useful in low light situations.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: