Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 31st January 2017, 18:44   #26
typo

Mark,

Thank you for adding your thoughts. It's a great binocular. I wish I could have kept that review sample.

You hang both the 12x50 and the 7x42 round your neck? !!!! I hadn't realised I was such a whimp.

David
Old Sunday 5th February 2017, 21:14   #27
Samolot

Hi everyone,

Really appreciate this thread. Ive been a long-time lurker on these forums and am thrilled that the Meopta 12x50 binoculars are finally getting some recognition. Ive had mine for about a year now and have nothing but wonderful things to say about it. On a tripod, they are simply the best bang for your buck. I exchanged a pair of Razor HD 12x50's for these binoculars and couldn't be happier. No CA, bright clear image at all hours of the day. They are also wonderful for looking up at the stars at night!

Cheers!

Samolot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uLNSEMZoSIeYRnpyfoq06w_thumb_55.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	614356  
Old Monday 6th February 2017, 09:18   #28
typo

Samolot,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the comments.

That's the HD you have isn't it? I think I can just make it out in the photo.

I do like the light weight and ergonomics of the Vortex Razor HD 12x50 but I found the level of CA was a bit on the high side for me. (The 10x50 is much better IMO.) I'd have to put the Meostar a good step higher.

David
Old Tuesday 7th February 2017, 01:02   #29
Samolot

Hi David,

Yes, that is the HD. I never tried the razor 10x50, but I was interested more in a 12x binocular for general use. I just got an 8x binocular for more handheld use in the woods: the Meopta Meopro HD 8x42, another fantastic binocular (except for some noticeable glare). The Meopro line is very reminiscent of the Vortex Razor.

My only regret so far is not being able to try the Meopta Meostar 15x56 prior to acquiring the 12x50 (I was ordering online). In any case, the relative light weight and stability of the 12x50 are what let me use it occasionally without the tripod when I'm hiking around some open terrain.

On a different note, I just wanted to mention that I think Meopta is quite possibly the most underrated optics brand out there.

Cheers!

Samolot
Old Tuesday 7th February 2017, 08:39   #30
typo

Samolot,

If I'd been able to keep the 12x50 I'd guess my use would be around 80% hand held and 20% on a monopod/tripod. I found the combination of weight and balance made the 15x56 very hard to hold steady, and for me it would have been at least 80% tripod. Perhaps 100%? No doubt a very nice binocular if that's your intended use.

Unfortunately the girth of the x56 barrels also meant that with the Meopta bracket (and I suspect most others) I was unable to get anywhere close to my 63mm IPD. I didn't measure it but I'd guess you'd need 66mm plus to use it comfortably. Otherwise you would have to use one of those platform type supports for narrower IPDs.

Ageed. Meopa are doing some excellent stuff these days.

David

P.S. have you considered using a booster? The resolution of my review sample was plenty good enough to manage 24x. I'm sure the Meopta booster is excellent, but something like the more affordable Opticron UTA should work well. It does narrow the view but otherwise the 1.8x works very well as long as you can find an adaptor that is a good fit for the eyecups.

Last edited by typo : Tuesday 7th February 2017 at 09:04.
Old Wednesday 8th February 2017, 13:20   #31
Samolot

Haven't considered a booster, but I don't think it would be necessary. If I needed that kind of power, I would consider getting a spotting scope.

By the way, did your "demo" pair come with a green wool case? I was wondering if they made changes to their case since I have the green wool one and, to be frank, I think its quite useless. Very tight fit and not room for accessories (this is where I think Vortex had a significant advantage).
Old Wednesday 8th February 2017, 14:17   #32
typo

Samalot,

I hadn't given much thought to what fibre was used for the case that came with mine. I just assumed synthetic. Wasn't a tight fit either. Looked like it was waterproof anyway.

The first image is the case that came with my mine and was a rather big and box like. Is yours more like the second image I found on Meota's US website?

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20161023_113535.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	852.6 KB
ID:	614687  Click image for larger version

Name:	562170_meopta_bino-case_01_700.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	614690  
Old Thursday 9th February 2017, 09:40   #33
Samolot

Yes, I have the second one. Its tight, and I doubt its waterproof. I'm glad Meopta decided to do something about the case.

On the other hand, the strap that arrived with mine is thicker than the one pictured in the first image. I'll post a picture later.
Old Sunday 12th February 2017, 18:38   #34
Samolot

Sorry took a while to post. Here is the strap. Initially it was WAY too long and I had a difficult time shortening it using their straps, so I changed a couple of things: I added the linking system from Peak Design to streamline the connection between the binoculars and the strap and make it more discrete. I re-routed the strap near the cushion in order to take the excess and roll it up, followed by wrapping it in heat-shrink wrap to secure it. I now have a much tidier set-up that lays flat on my chest instead of my stomach.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FullSizeRender 4.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	643.5 KB
ID:	615052  
Old Monday 13th February 2017, 07:27   #35
typo

I don't have any good photos of the stap on the one I had, but I'd guess your arrangement is a bit shorter than I would normally use. I think you can see that it would have been quite easy to shorten the length by another 6" if necessary, but that would have left a lot of loose ends to tidy up. Looks like the shrink wrap does a neat job.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170213_072015.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	615105  
Old Thursday 16th February 2017, 15:22   #36
sillyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samolot View Post
Yes, I have the second one. Its tight, and I doubt its waterproof. I'm glad Meopta decided to do something about the case.

On the other hand, the strap that arrived with mine is thicker than the one pictured in the first image. I'll post a picture later.
The Green wool has charm! I kind of like it. Mind you I'm not very picky about a case, so long as the clasp is silent and quality (which it is). I like tight fitting cases. My only complaint is it picks up dead leaves and grass like a magnet.
Old Friday 17th February 2017, 18:26   #37
Torview

Rather than start a new thread I thought I`d sneak a post onto Typo`s, I`v found that on my Meostar 8x32 that the eyecups don`t extend out far enough for my liking, I have to balance them against my brows, so as they unscrew for cleaning I`v slipped a 25x3.55mm o ring over the eyepieces and screwed the cups back on nice and tight, they twist up and down as before but are now 3mm further out, perfect for me.
Old Sunday 19th February 2017, 08:39   #38
typo

A bit of a test of my memory as it's been a while since I tried the 8x32 without glasses, but I don't think the eyecups were ever meant to sit in the eye sockets. I remember the diameter was a rather small and felt like it was sitting on the eyeball, just as it does with compacts. In the brief time I had with them I think I used a forefinger across the brow to give a steady hold. It didn't seem any more problematic at the time than the majority of other models I've tried which might need MOLCET or some other technique.

I normally wear glasses so most binoculars need an o-ring or something to get the correct ER but the 8x32 was just right for me at the lowest setting.

David
Old Thursday 9th March 2017, 15:55   #39
Samolot

If you want the ultimate upgrade for the 12x50's, I would highly recommend the eyeshields from field optics. I just got a pair and it fits the meostar perfectly. It eliminates peripheral light extremely well, plus it looks pretty cool.

I'll post a picture later.
Old Thursday 16th March 2017, 01:52   #40
Samolot

The eye shields are from field optics. They fit perfectly right in the gap formed when you twist out the eye cups from the meostar. It drastically enhanced the viewing experience.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 9.50.46 PM.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	618741  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: