Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 7th November 2016, 14:26   #1
Neil-T
Moorlands Macro: Close up and personal....with bugs.

Nikon 1 J5

Hi all, a bit of help required please. I have just bought a new J5 so that I can take record shots of birds at distance with my New 200-500 Nikon lens and my Nikon 600mm f/4 VRl. I already have the FT1 adapter but when I put either of the above 2 lenses on the camera a message is displayed saying the lens is not supported. I phoned WEX and they said try a firmware update for the camera. Questions. Will this work. And I cant seem to find a firmware update specifically for the J5. It will AF with my 70-200mm VRll and a old Nikon 24-85mm lens I have lying around. I assumed that the camera would work with any newish Nikon AF-S lens. frustrated. please help. Neil.

PS: a link to relevant firmware would be greatly appreciated.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 7th November 2016, 18:00   #2
nikonmike

I think you may be unlucky Nikon stopped one of the latest 1 series cameras from working with some of there long lenses,the excuse was strain on the camera mount,there is a nikon page that explains it but i cant find it at the moment,it may not be your model but they did do it with at least one.
Old Monday 7th November 2016, 18:18   #3
nikonmike

If you scroll to the bottom of this page it tells you which lenses cant be used with the j5

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/acil...patibility.htm
Old Tuesday 8th November 2016, 08:49   #4
Neil-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonmike View Post
If you scroll to the bottom of this page it tells you which lenses cant be used with the j5

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/acil...patibility.htm
Thanks very much Mike. I notice that my version of the 600mm f/4 is on the non compatible list but the newer 200-500 is on the list that says it should work. So is it a case of a firmware update to make the 200-500 work on the J5 with the FT1 adapter. Thanks in advance. Neil.

Old Tuesday 8th November 2016, 09:13   #5
HermitIbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonmike View Post
I think you may be unlucky Nikon stopped one of the latest 1 series cameras from working with some of there long lenses,the excuse was strain on the camera mount,there is a nikon page that explains it but i cant find it at the moment,it may not be your model but they did do it with at least one.
Nikon's explanation makes some sense, if you consider heavy set-ups like mine based on the Sigma APO macro 400mm. "Fortunately" I have to focus manually anyway, using the Tarion loupe, so a tripod is a must and the weak mount construction not an issue. (see photo)

This limitation of the J5 means that the 200-500 lens cannot be used with the FT1. It remains an option (obviously not a very attractive one) to use another, dumb adapter with manual focusing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Setup.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	433.2 KB
ID:	604750  
Old Tuesday 8th November 2016, 16:24   #6
Neil-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermitIbis View Post
Nikon's explanation makes some sense, if you consider heavy set-ups like mine based on the Sigma APO macro 400mm. "Fortunately" I have to focus manually anyway, using the Tarion loupe, so a tripod is a must and the weak mount construction not an issue. (see photo)

This limitation of the J5 means that the 200-500 lens cannot be used with the FT1. It remains an option (obviously not a very attractive one) to use another, dumb adapter with manual focusing.
According to the above link from Mike the 200-500 is OK to use with the J5 and FT1 adapter. I always use a quality tripod and gimbal head so there is no stress between the camera ans lens.

Old Tuesday 8th November 2016, 16:35   #7
HermitIbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil-T View Post
According to the above link from Mike the 200-500 is OK to use with the J5 and FT1 adapter. I always use a quality tripod and gimbal head so there is no stress between the camera ans lens.
Really? The link seems to say:

Quote:
The following NIKKOR lenses cannot be used with Nikon 1 J5
AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR
Old Wednesday 9th November 2016, 01:25   #8
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermitIbis View Post
Really? The link seems to say:
Your right unfortunately. Other Nikon 1 cameras will work with the 200-500/5.6 , but not the J5. I suspect it has do do with the light weight battery in the J5.
Neil.
Old Friday 7th April 2017, 20:21   #9
I4ani

Sorry if this is a bit late, but, the J5 WILL work with the 200-500/5.6 and 600/4, IF you use a dumb adaptor. Set camera (J5) to M (manual exposure on the top dial of camera), you will have to manual focus the lens, your aperture will be f4 or f5.6 pending on lens, and is not adjustable. The exposure (shutter speed) can be adjusted by using the dial on top of the camera, adjust speed until the exposure shown on the exposure scale (RHS of the LCD ) matches the zero.
Old Friday 7th April 2017, 20:38   #10
HermitIbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by I4ani View Post
Sorry if this is a bit late, but, the J5 WILL work with the 200-500/5.6 and 600/4, IF you use a dumb adaptor. Set camera (J5) to M (manual exposure on the top dial of camera), you will have to manual focus the lens, your aperture will be f4 or f5.6 pending on lens, and is not adjustable. The exposure (shutter speed) can be adjusted by using the dial on top of the camera, adjust speed until the exposure shown on the exposure scale (RHS of the LCD ) matches the zero.
Thanks for confirming what I had said a few posts above:
Quote:
Old Saturday 8th April 2017, 10:06   #11
Neil-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by I4ani View Post
This is great news, thanks. Can you tell what type of adapter I would require, manual focus is not an issue. Thanks again. Neil.

Old Saturday 8th April 2017, 11:13   #12
nikonmike

Quote:
This is great news, thanks. Can you tell what type of adapter I would require, manual focus is not an issue. Thanks again. Neil.
Something like this i think http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-Nikk...4AAOSw5cNYUuew

Would have thought you could ge5t auto shutter speeds with that set up.
Old Saturday 8th April 2017, 12:47   #13
HermitIbis

Quote:
The gfoto adapter comes into consideration:
- focus assistant
- automatic exposure in A mode
Old Saturday 8th April 2017, 16:22   #14
I4ani

Hi Neil-T, good advice from the other posters, that have given you some pointers to Dumb adapters, but for the record the one I use is the K and F Concept version, (Amazon), strong and well made. Good luck with your choice.
If your 600/4 VR1 has a manual adjustable aperture ring you can also use it. The G versions of the lenses are normally in the stopped down mode, so the adapter would need to be chipped, as trying to focus at F16 might be a little difficult. I am using the 600/4E FL ED VR, which is normally open at the max. aperture. Don't worry too much about the J5 mount as any one with a brain, should be hanging the camera off the lens, and NOT hanging the lens off the camera.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: