Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 30th April 2017, 17:38   #1
RussB
Going for Gold

FZ330 An Idiot's Guide

Hi!
Not been on BF for some time and then it was all on the art forum. Just got a second hand FZ330 to take record shots, holiday pics and back up for my main passion - field sketching. I've been looking through the threads about this camera and it's obviously well capable of much more than I'm using it for at the moment. Hopefully someone could point me in the right direction about a couple of things?
Only using Intelligent Auto
1, Am I better sticking to the 600mm length than going double? Image quality seems not to deteriorate at 1200mm, but should this be right? I've tried the EX zoom but the quality does deteriorate quite noticeably.
2, I haven't a clue about ISO's, shutter speeds etc so is there a 'basic' point where to start from? I understand IA is okay but has it's limitations.
3. I'm using a Sandisk 64gb ultra SDHC at the moment. Is the quality of the card important, and if so is there any particular type you recommend?
4. Got a trip to Scandinavia coming soon and so not having lots of time to observe and sketch I'm hoping the camera will record some decent images. Expecting lots of low light so are there any particular tips for using it in these conditions?

I don't want to sound like I'm wanting everything on a plate here without putting I the hours like many of you guys, but If you could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.
Many thanks for your time.

Cheers
Russ
Old Monday 1st May 2017, 10:14   #2
nikonmike

The main point i would pick from your list is ISO and shutter speed.

The two things are part of the exposure triangle which includes the aperture,basically you can have different combinations of the three but still get correct exposure.

The higher the ISO you use the more chance you see of getting noise/grain in your image but it often means your shutter speed would be higher so less chance of camera shake or subject blur due to subject movement.

You may find it a help to try different ISO settings on the same subject to find the highest you are happy with,armed with this figure you could possibly use auto ISO as with that as the highest limit.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: