Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 19th October 2016, 18:01   #1
freediver111

Eye cup removal Leica zoom for Televid 62/77?

Hi all,

Recently purchased a Leica Televid 62mm spotter. It has the newest locking version of the zoom eyepiece.
So far I really like it. I had some issues with a little dust/grit in the eye cup as I was adjusting it up and down. I blew it out really well with my air compressor and gave it a good cleaning.

Seems to be much better now, however I'm trying to find a way to remove the eye cup completely in order to really give it a proper cleaning. Anyone know how to remove the rubber eyecup? I tried to twist it but it didn't work, although I was pretty gentle since I didn't want to do any damage.

Thanks.
Old Wednesday 3rd May 2017, 08:04   #2
yves0071

Hi,
(I guess you want to remove the rubber eye cup including the plastic part, right?) You just have to pull it a bit stronger after having pull up the eyecup at his maximum position.
Plastic cylindric part is maintained by 3 small iron ball so please take take to not loose any of them. In order to mount it again after cleaning, sometimes the ball do not maintain all 3 in place. In such case, you can put some soap in the small holes and then place the iron ball (soap will act as temporary glue). Then push the plastic cylindre in, as you have done to remove it.
I hope it helps!
Regards
Yves
Old Wednesday 10th May 2017, 09:49   #3
garymh
Binocular Engineer

The plastic eyecup tube and ball bearings are held in place by a ring which must be removed first.

Pulling the eyecup off without removing this ring will often crack it or damage the channels that the balls run in !!!!
Old Saturday 13th May 2017, 07:17   #4
yves0071

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymh View Post
The plastic eyecup tube and ball bearings are held in place by a ring which must be removed first.

Pulling the eyecup off without removing this ring will often crack it or damage the channels that the balls run in !!!!
You are right, it is the normal way but depends if you can remove this ring.
Old Tuesday 16th May 2017, 20:38   #5
garymh
Binocular Engineer

If you have the correct tools and know how these instruments are made it is very easy to remove the ring - otherwise it will cost hundreds to get it rectified and will invalidate the warranty.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: