• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 UK orchids (1 Viewer)

Does anyone know if the coralroots are out yet? I thinking of going in about a week. I presume with a population of c.3000, they are pretty easy to find at Sanscale Hawes.

I presume with a population of c.3000, they are pretty easy to find at Sanscale Hawes.

Dream on with that one Steve!

Most years there are a hell of a lot less than that, last year when we went there were just a couple of dozen across the whole site, which is huge.

Last year they were running a few guided walks - we saw them that way. Even when you know where the plants are you can still miss them.

Update - apparently there is a guided walk this year as well, on 20th May, details on the reserve website.
Rich

Last edited:
Hi all - I'm spending a few days in the Chilterns at the end of next week. I've seen photographs from Hartslock already showing Lady (guessing it'll be past its best next week) and plenty of hybrids coming up. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an early pure Monkey amongst them.

I wondered if anyone could recommend any other good orchid sites on/around the Chilterns - somewhere for Fly Orchid, Butterfly, White Hellleborine, Early Purple etc., or any hybrids or colour variants. Anything really! J

In fact, any non-orchid botany tips would be great as well - any other Chiltern specialities or unusual species I should try to catch up with?

Hi all - I'm spending a few days in the Chilterns at the end of next week. I've seen photographs from Hartslock already showing Lady (guessing it'll be past its best next week) and plenty of hybrids coming up. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an early pure Monkey amongst them.

All three are out at the moment. Very few Monkey's though as its been far too dry. Think I saw max of 3 flowering and total numbers tiny compared to other years.

Dream on with that one Steve!

Most years there are a hell of a lot less than that, last year when we went there were just a couple of dozen across the whole site, which is huge.

Last year they were running a few guided walks - we saw them that way. Even when you know where the plants are you can still miss them.

Update - apparently there is a guided walk this year as well, on 20th May, details on the reserve website.
Rich

Thanks for the gen. Just chatted to a friend who confirmed that they can be tricky. The guided walk is an idea although the idea was for a nice relaxing weekend to escape life's stresses so rather keen to avoid having to leave Ipswich around 4am.

Long way for a plant dip. I've tried emailing the warden but I haven't had a response yet. I am told that they have been very helpful in the past.
The warden has got back as has been extremely helpful. Apparently not many are in flower at the moment - so extremely hard to find or you own - but there are some good specimens.

Frog Orchids

The Frogs are just starting to flower at the North Wales site, together with what will become a forest of Twayblades in certain parts of the site. The Frog v longibracteatum are very late this year and show the sign of suffering from lack of rain.
Jeff Hodgson

Attachments

• Frog Plant 2 Eryrys.jpg
    Frog Plant 2 Eryrys.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 152
  • Frog Orchid Spike 1 Eryrys.jpg
    Frog Orchid Spike 1 Eryrys.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 149
  • Twayblade Plant 2 Eryrys.jpg
    Twayblade Plant 2 Eryrys.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 142
  • Twayblade Floret 1 Eryrys.jpg
    Twayblade Floret 1 Eryrys.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 156
  • Frog Orchid v longibracteatum.jpg
    Frog Orchid v longibracteatum.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 123
Back from my trip. We were shown the coral roots by Neil Forbes, the warden, to whom I am extremely grateful. I have very little doubt that without him doing doing this would have had no realistic chance of finding them.

Attachments

• coral root orchid_rsz.jpg
    coral root orchid_rsz.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 151
  • lady's slipper orchid_rsz.jpg
    lady's slipper orchid_rsz.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 142
  • lady's slipper orchid2_rsz.jpg
    lady's slipper orchid2_rsz.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 128
BTOs and MO

BTOs at Hampshire sites stunning his year three groups of i assume vegetative clumps good 6 inches tall -much showier than the Caburn plants i saw few days before MO at Darland in their hundreds again and just coming into peak.

LSO coming into flower Folkestone -2 weeks off peak just one flower fully out , LO at Denge wood at their best now.

Question to Steve will the LSO up North last two more weeks when i plan to be there or should I go next week ?

Attachments

• P1030683.jpg
    P1030683.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 163
  • P1030695.jpg
    P1030695.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 142
  • P1030693.jpg
    P1030693.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 164
Norfolk Fens

Can anyone update on progress of fens iN Norfolk -I am trying to plan a trip to see them (FO) and swallowtails at the same time ,I guess second week of June but would value any update as some things seem early this year (and some don't)

thanks

David

am thinking of going to the chilterns this week, Homefield wood and Hartslock. Does anyone have any information on whether this week is a good time to go? Anywhere else I should be including on my itinerary?

thanks for any help.

BTOs at Hampshire sites stunning his year three groups of i assume vegetative clumps good 6 inches tall -much showier than the Caburn plants i saw few days before MO at Darland in their hundreds again and just coming into peak.

LSO coming into flower Folkestone -2 weeks off peak just one flower fully out , LO at Denge wood at their best now.

Question to Steve will the LSO up North last two more weeks when i plan to be there or should I go next week ?

They were very fresh and some weren't fully out yet.

Where on martin down are the burnts. I may still try mount caburne may be some left. Looking at Thursday. Jim

Last edited:
am thinking of going to the chilterns this week, Homefield wood and Hartslock. Does anyone have any information on whether this week is a good time to go? Anywhere else I should be including on my itinerary?

thanks for any help.

I visited both sites yesterday and can confirm that the specialities at both should be looking good this week (the only exception being the single Lady at Hartslock which is now very slightly past its best).

In terms of other sites, Warburg is between the two and could give you both butterfly orchids amongst other things, but I'm not sure if either are flowering yet this year. If the visitor centre is open they may be able to help (or you could even try phoning them first).

If you're interested in dragonflies you can walk to Hartslock from Goring along a section of the Thames famous for emerging Common Clubtails - they're not easy but we saw two or three yesterday.

The Frogs are just starting to flower at the North Wales site, together with what will become a forest of Twayblades in certain parts of the site. The Frog v longibracteatum are very late this year and show the sign of suffering from lack of rain.
Jeff Hodgson

There were a few Twayblades here over past years, but not a feature of the site. Is a 'forest' of them a good thing? Will they drown out other species?

The ‘forest’, if indeed it becomes such, is just in the wooded area of the site in the dip beyond where most of the Frog Orchids grow. My original post was perhaps a little sensational!
Jeff Hodgson

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back