Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 2nd June 2017, 06:17   #1
u9jzp6

Manfrotto tripod and head are they compatible?

Hi,

I recently bought a manfrotto 290 xtra aluminum tripod legs with a 128RC head, they came together in the same box. The head does not stay attached properly.

I think the attached photo shows what the problem is.

Is that how the head should attach to the legs? Shouldn't the screw go into the goove rather than be part of the way in and part out? (In the photo there is a gap between the head and legs so you can see how the screw seems to be misplaced.)

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7315_2_scale.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	695.2 KB
ID:	629173  
Old Friday 2nd June 2017, 07:36   #2
Borjam

Might be a silly observation, but you must loosen the screw close to the edge so that it doesn't protrude.

After doing that, tighten the head around the central screw. Once it's properly seated, tighten the edge screw so that it makes pressure over the base of the head. That edge screw prevents the head from rotating on the tripod base.

BF Supporter 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 2nd June 2017, 14:00   #3
u9jzp6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borjam View Post
Might be a silly observation, but you must loosen the screw close to the edge so that it doesn't protrude.

After doing that, tighten the head around the central screw. Once it's properly seated, tighten the edge screw so that it makes pressure over the base of the head. That edge screw prevents the head from rotating on the tripod base.
That is what I do. But it doesn't hold. I think that is because the screw is supposed to go into the groove around the perimeter which has depressions that would seem to be meant for the screw to go into. As it is, the screw does not go into the groove and I think that is why it doesn't hold the head securely.

If the screw was a few millimeters to the right in the photo then I think it would go into the groove and hold correctly.

I left that gap between the head and the legs just so people can see what I am referring to in the photo.

Last edited by u9jzp6 : Friday 2nd June 2017 at 14:03.
Old Friday 2nd June 2017, 23:35   #4
johnf3f
johnf3f

Those grub screws are there to stop the head from loosening.

For what it's worth, when I had Manfrotto tripods, I removed those grub screws and put them back in the box the tripod came in - never had an issue with the head loosening. My Gitzo tripods have similar grub screws - never use them - heads never come loose. Just take it/them out, screw the head down firmly and forget about them.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: