Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 21st June 2017, 07:41   #1
hightower

Gitzo GK2500LVLQR (Set of Tripod GT2531LVL and Head G2380

Hi,
after I purchased my Swarovski HD80 I recognized, that my current tripod and head combination (Manfrotto 190xb and 804RC2) is far away from a good choice.
I found some good offers for a combination of the Gitzo Tripod GT2531LVL and Head G2380 (the set is called GK2500LVLQR). Both tripod and head are showing good results at http://www.tvwg.nl the tested Tripod is not exactly the same).
I know they are always better/stiffer combinations available, but only for a couple of hundred EUR more.

Is this combination okay or do I miss someting?

Regards

Michael
Old Wednesday 21st June 2017, 22:10   #2
johnf3f
johnf3f

I have the non levelling version of this Gitzo tripod, namely the GT2531. It is very good, especially considering it's weight. Sorry I have never used that head with a scope so I can't comment.

Whilst a 2 series Gitzo will do a very good job of supporting/stabilising a scope one of their larger models would be better. Unfortunately scopes are, in my experience, far more demanding of tripods than even the longest camera lenses! My, personal, favourite is the Gitzo 3530LS (Systematic) as it's combination of light weight and stability is not matched, IMO, by the newer models. However, being a Systematic, it is slower to adjust - not a problem for me but a point to consider?

Currently I use either my GT2531 or (preferably) my GT4542LS. Yes a Gitzo 4 series Systematic for an old Kowa 77mm scope! But I do get VERY stable viewing!

The GT2531 LVL will do a very good job and be the envy of other scope users, but a larger model will be better so long as the weight is not an issue!

Last edited by johnf3f : Wednesday 21st June 2017 at 22:13. Reason: correction
Old Thursday 22nd June 2017, 14:52   #3
kabsetz

Michael,

I have used the 2380 head quite extensively, mostly with a Nikon ED 82A Fieldscope. It is a very stable head with pretty nice and reasonably well-damped motion both for panning and for up-down movement. It will work well with the 80 mm Swarovski. Control knobs are well positioned and logical.

Drawbacks are somewhat excessive weight and lack of counterbalance spring. Also, the handle is not as adjustable as in most video heads, and the handle locking lever can work itself loose resulting in loss of said handle. So check its tightness periodically.

Kimmo
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: