Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Saturday 28th January 2017, 09:26   #1
Albert P
Beginner Birder

 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Fulda / Germany
Posts: 33
Is there something new coming?

Hi,

Was just wondering. The last big spotting scope from Kowa was released more than 10 years ago. Judging just by the history of releases this would mean, that something newer should already be released. Or is the 883/884 just too perfect to upgrade it?

http://www.kowa-prominar.com/concept/history.html

Cheers,
Albert
Albert P is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 28th January 2017, 14:25   #2
chris murphy
Used Register
 
chris murphy's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sunderland
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert P View Post
Hi,

Was just wondering. The last big spotting scope from Kowa was released more than 10 years ago. Judging just by the history of releases this would mean, that something newer should already be released. Or is the 883/884 just too perfect to upgrade it?

http://www.kowa-prominar.com/concept/history.html

Cheers,
Albert
It looks like the 553/4 is next, so more towards the travelscope end than the big end. Given the general reviews of the 883/4 I really struggle to see how or what they can improve, as they are generally regarded as the best of the bunch by a country mile.

Now if only I could afford one....
__________________
Email signatures are great. I wish I had one.
chris murphy is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 28th January 2017, 15:10   #3
henry link
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: north carolina
Posts: 3,996
I've been hoping for a new Kowa flagship scope for a few years. I scanned reports from this year's SHOT show, but found only the 553/54 mentioned.

I have a list of "improvements" I would like to see in a next generation Kowa scope: larger aperture in the 95-100mm range, highest magnification from the zoom eyepiece up to at least 75x, but 80-90x would be better, rubber armoring and better coatings for higher light transmission, which is somewhat low for multicoated optics in the current scopes. The result should be a more capable scope than the Swarovski ATX-95, which, at the moment, is the only competing scope that slightly outperforms the 883/4 in most ways except for CA correction.

Henry

Last edited by henry link : Saturday 28th January 2017 at 15:21.
henry link is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 6th April 2017, 23:11   #4
Lord Muck
Fortune does not change men, it unmasks them.
 
Lord Muck's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 86
Smile The New Kowa TSN 100mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry link View Post
I've been hoping for a new Kowa flagship scope for a few years. I scanned reports from this year's SHOT show, but found only the 553/54 mentioned.

I have a list of "improvements" I would like to see in a next generation Kowa scope: larger aperture in the 95-100mm range, highest magnification from the zoom eyepiece up to at least 75x, but 80-90x would be better, rubber armoring and better coatings for higher light transmission, which is somewhat low for multicoated optics in the current scopes. The result should be a more capable scope than the Swarovski ATX-95, which, at the moment, is the only competing scope that slightly outperforms the 883/4 in most ways except for CA correction.

Henry
Here you go Henry,...
The new prototype Kowa TSN 100mm scope, under going field testing in Japan late last year.
They have to put it on wheels, as its extremely heavy.
But at least you will be able to tow it where ever you want.
It can also be adapted as a 100mm artillery gun apparently,
But you'll need to apply for a firearms certificate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kowa TSN 100mm.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	621383  
Lord Muck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 8th April 2017, 19:03   #5
henry link
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: north carolina
Posts: 3,996
If that's the new scope I guess I'll have to pass. I don't have any horses to pull it.
henry link is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 10th April 2017, 18:42   #6
Lord Muck
Fortune does not change men, it unmasks them.
 
Lord Muck's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 86
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kowa TSN 500mm.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	621952
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry link View Post
If that's the new scope I guess I'll have to pass. I don't have any horses to pull it.
Well if i win the lottery, i will be going for the new Kowa Prominar TSN 500mm.
The sales rep at my local Kowa store informed me that from the west coast of England i would be able to the see New York skyline
Lord Muck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 27th June 2017, 18:07   #7
Steve O4B
VP of Sales, Optics4Birding.com
 
Steve O4B's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Aliso Viejo, CA
Posts: 103
An official announcement is coming from Kowa on July 4. Sorry, but dealers are sworn to secrecy until then.
__________________
Steve Sosensky, Optics4Birding.com
SoCA Bird Guides
Steve O4B is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 27th June 2017, 18:08   #8
Steve O4B
VP of Sales, Optics4Birding.com
 
Steve O4B's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Aliso Viejo, CA
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Muck View Post
Attachment 621952

Well if i win the lottery, i will be going for the new Kowa Prominar TSN 500mm.
The sales rep at my local Kowa store informed me that from the west coast of England i would be able to the see New York skyline
Unless you're at the southern end of the west coast, doesn't Ireland get in the way?
__________________
Steve Sosensky, Optics4Birding.com
SoCA Bird Guides
Steve O4B is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coming soon.. FOOON TV & Radio Alert For Birding, Nature and Other Wildlife 4 Saturday 31st August 2013 08:52
They're coming (at last) bill moss Birds & Birding 7 Tuesday 13th December 2005 01:21
HBW Vol 9 coming soon! Dan drough Birds & Birding 11 Saturday 3rd July 2004 11:47

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.14329600 seconds with 20 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:12.