Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 4.90 average.
Old Friday 28th April 2017, 05:57   #551
BChiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosbifs View Post
Now I'm starting to get a bit peed off...

I took various pictures over the last few days. The thing that is annoying is that quite a few show poor focus, still, and what's more there is nothing actually pin sharp in focus - let alone the birds. ...

Am I expecting too much from my equipment? I can't believe so....
Frankly it appears that your technique is fine. However the 4 images posted appear to have low contrast, perhaps an overcast sky. Id suspect the camera has more influence on the sharpness of the focus than the lens under these conditions.
Old Friday 28th April 2017, 07:00   #552
rosbifs

Thanks for your confidence.
However, the bee-eater and the stork were in pretty good light. The point is that others have some really sharp pictures - in flight on the ground and generally sharp. The Little Bustard shot in particular there is a lot of chance that some of the grass would have been in focus or sharp but nothing...

There has to be something or an explanation.
Old Friday 28th April 2017, 08:14   #553
nikonmike

Quote:
Thanks for your confidence.
However, the bee-eater and the stork were in pretty good light. The point is that others have some really sharp pictures - in flight on the ground and generally sharp. The Little Bustard shot in particular there is a lot of chance that some of the grass would have been in focus or sharp but nothing...

There has to be something or an explanation.
How far are you prepered to think this out and ime only throwing things in not suggesting any one cause,do yo shoot raw or jpeg,if its raw how good is your PP ability,if its jpeg does your camera have jpeg settings that need adjusting,

Images over any distance mostly suffer some degredation due to atmospheric conditions,you say shots with a 300mm are better but better than what your lens @ 600mm or your lens @300mm.

I would expect possibly better results with a 300mm prime rather than a 600mm zoom.
Old Friday 28th April 2017, 08:29   #554
nikonmike

To me the Little Bustard looks to be at the very rear of your sharp area,would you consider uploading some full preferably raw images to dropbox and let others have a look at the full file with out any editing.
Old Friday 28th April 2017, 09:39   #555
Vespobuteo

Quote:
Now I'm starting to get a bit peed off...

I took various pictures over the last few days. The thing that is annoying is that quite a few show poor focus, still, and what's more there is nothing actually pin sharp in focus - let alone the birds.

Various situations - with or without mono support.

I have taken some pretty sharp pictures, off the bat, when I borrowed my friends 300mm lens.

Its frustrating because there are some pretty amazing shots on here with this lens. I can't be that bad a photographer.

Am I expecting too much from my equipment? I can't believe so....
Perhaps you do, the photos look pretty normal considering the circumstances.
(checking EXIF, time of the day etc.)

I don't expect to get many good shots in the middle of the day in diffuse light, too strong light or heat haze at medium to long distance, even with the best equipment. You really need good environmental and lighting conditions to get the sharpest shots.

The downsides with the zoom is that you start at f6.3 in the longer end. Stopping down to f8 might sharpen up the photos a bit but you might loose some bokeh. You really don't need 1/1000s shutter speed for slow moving birds. With f/8 and 1/250-1/500s you can keep the ISO at the same low level. Do you use a tripod/monopod, bean bag or OS/handheld?

To get a grip of the maximum performance of your combo
I would test the lens on a solid tripod with mirror lock up in a controlled environment on a test target, at different distances, f-stop and zoom settings.
Then you could also check for any back/front focus issues etc.

Last edited by Vespobuteo : Friday 28th April 2017 at 11:11.
Old Friday 28th April 2017, 14:25   #556
rosbifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonmike View Post
How far are you prepered to think this out and ime only throwing things in not suggesting any one cause,do yo shoot raw or jpeg,if its raw how good is your PP ability,if its jpeg does your camera have jpeg settings that need adjusting,

Images over any distance mostly suffer some degredation due to atmospheric conditions,you say shots with a 300mm are better but better than what your lens @ 600mm or your lens @300mm.

I would expect possibly better results with a 300mm prime rather than a 600mm zoom.
I want the lens to work. i'm jealous of other users pictures on here which to me seem to be of the quality i was expecting - what i'm not expecting is every picture to be of that standard - hand held, tripod, lighting but some.
i don't shoot raw but will try to see if that makes a difference - my pp ability is fairly limited though. i would be happy for others to play with any pics.

the 300mm i used before was the canon 300mm f4. i would expect its pictures to be better than this lens. I have tried taking pictures at part zoom, no zoom as well to see if that makes a difference. I broke the lens hood - could that be the missing factor?

i'm never going to be a professional photographer but out of say 800-1000 pictures taken with this lens very few are of 'top' quality. I'm not giving up though and have tried the focus adjustment.

Out of interest you say that the focus point seems to be in front of the bustard - would this need a + or - adjustment using the dock station? I think I took a good 20-30 pictures of the bird and on none does there seem to be a pin point focus either in front or behind.
Old Friday 28th April 2017, 15:20   #557
nikonmike

At the moment dont shoot raw if your not sure of your pp skills,are you shooting at the bigest file size for jpeg,does your camera have any adjustments for sharpness contrast ect with jpegs.

Awful to admit this but i have been using mirrorless cameras and have forgotten if front is + or - ,i always went against convention but it worked for me,i only ever did mine at 600mm and with the target about 12ft away with the lens wide open so i got the narrowest DOF possible.
Old Friday 28th April 2017, 15:21   #558
nikonmike

Just remembered your lens hood question,not having one can reduce contrast and you could get flare.
Old Saturday 29th April 2017, 10:03   #559
rosbifs

Still playing but this is the sort of thing I'm after!

taken across the road. c.8 metres no crop
1/800 f7.1 iso 125 484mm

changed some settings 'neutral' sharpness 1

wondering if f7.1 is getting to the sweetspot....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sparrow.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	624693  
Old Saturday 29th April 2017, 17:52   #560
rosbifs

Playing with a new found enthusiasm

Tiles - taken 7 metres - good detail
Other pictures taken at about 15metres
Wall can see brush strokes and bird roppings - you can make out what the bird had eaten (joking).
Blackbird - not great but probably furthest, poorest light, angled view (3 floors) and through a window! Still can see some of the feathering...
Good detail on the flagpole

So looks like getting to grips with it and it was more likely camera settings rather than lens. I have the lens set to C1 default - highest focus speed, dynamic image stableliser (misspelt) and OS1 but don't know whether this is overridden by the C1 setting - interesting to know if I start using the monopod again.

Will get out in earnest tomorrow and find some birds...

I have a camera expert coming in a couple of weeks and we will address the focus depth/issue. I think its a fraction front but set at -5 for closer focus -8 for longer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	blackbird.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	624.7 KB
ID:	624729  Click image for larger version

Name:	flagpole.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	624730  Click image for larger version

Name:	tiles.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	624731  Click image for larger version

Name:	wall.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	460.7 KB
ID:	624732  
Old Wednesday 3rd May 2017, 09:18   #561
rosbifs

Some more 'snaps'.
Robin 564mm
BS Kite - 150mm
BS Kite 2 - 600mm

Ok so the BS Kites aren't great pictures in their own right but the demonstration shows that even at great distance the lens has performed well. Would certainly be more than enough for id shots. They are miles better than most of the pictures I took last week - which just means another visit to Monegros!

These are the adjustments I made to the camera:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...spx?News=15624

What I need to know is which adjustments have made the difference????
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	robin.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	572.7 KB
ID:	625281  Click image for larger version

Name:	BS kite.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	563.8 KB
ID:	625282  Click image for larger version

Name:	BS kite 2.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	625283  
Old Friday 5th May 2017, 17:04   #562
rosbifs

600mm height of a telegraph pole.

getting the hang of things - although its not one of the better photos. still need to play with the focus a little. another couple of + points.

Should I expect to use the same setting across the whole range of zoom and distance. right for one right for all approach?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rock Sparrow LANNE 4 5 2017.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	625576  
Old Friday 5th May 2017, 17:48   #563
nikonmike

Although i have owned the same lens and dock plus other long zooms i never did the focus adjust on the lens, always on the body,i did it at 600mm about 12-15ft wide open,then any other settings would have more DOF any way
Old Thursday 11th May 2017, 17:57   #564
rosbifs

Quite pleased with this...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Little Egret.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	485.6 KB
ID:	626466  
Old Monday 26th June 2017, 11:58   #565
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Don't get out much with the Siggy C these days but here is one I took with the lens at the full 600mm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	goldfinch 01PN lab.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	631696  

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 27th June 2017, 01:44   #566
njlarsen
Opus Editor

This is now available for less than US$1000 at BH Photo in USA

Niels

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 27th June 2017, 03:30   #567
blue185jay

Looks good Roy. Good to see you post again. I just bought one of these and am working on micro adjusting it. I read a review of this lens before I bought it and the guy said you need a lot of patience. How true and he should have added, a whole lot of free time. By the way, did you micro adjust yours?

Robert

BF Supporter 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 27th June 2017, 07:51   #568
rosbifs

I had real problems initially - read some of the above posts. Then I spent some time searching the internet for the 'ideal' camera setup; The results were instant.

The Wallcreeper from yesterday was really just shooitng from the hip - its slightly in front! But in real life taking a snap its allright.

I did do some microadjusting and I think at maximum range it needs some more attention but very happy now...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dunnock bath.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	415.9 KB
ID:	631764  Click image for larger version

Name:	Dunnock drying out.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	425.8 KB
ID:	631765  Click image for larger version

Name:	turks cap lily.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	473.2 KB
ID:	631766  Click image for larger version

Name:	Wallcreeper 5.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	646.3 KB
ID:	631767  
Old Tuesday 27th June 2017, 08:41   #569
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue185jay View Post
Looks good Roy. Good to see you post again. I just bought one of these and am working on micro adjusting it. I read a review of this lens before I bought it and the guy said you need a lot of patience. How true and he should have added, a whole lot of free time. By the way, did you micro adjust yours?

Robert
I did run a micro adjust test Robert but it did not need any adjustments so mine is at zero adjustments. A few things I use via the dock is:-
Change the AF priory to 'Focus accuracy-priority'
Change the OS mode to 'Dynamic View Mode'
BTW I find that you need to stop down tof8 to get the sharpest results at the ling end.

Last edited by Roy C : Tuesday 27th June 2017 at 08:43.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 4th July 2017, 08:10   #570
rosbifs

Couple more.

Sadly RB Shrike a little 'out'...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wipit.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	632369  Click image for larger version

Name:	rb shrike.JPG