• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (2 Viewers)

... whilst being farted on by a passing Walrus.

:eat:

Although some of these ideas are really funny, I would like to deal with the real thing again. Looking forward for their next leg. Does anybody know what they are going to do? Sticking to the planned itinerary and going to Spain et al? Or will they have an attempt at Grey-tailed Tattler on the Azores? Or is the Amur Falcon in GB still available?

Although some of these ideas are really funny, I would like to deal with the real thing again. Looking forward for their next leg. Does anybody know what they are going to do? Sticking to the planned itinerary and going to Spain et al? Or will they have an attempt at Grey-tailed Tattler on the Azores? Or is the Amur Falcon in GB still available?

Amur Falcon not available - there have been a couple of completely unconfirmed sightings from locations elsewhere, quite probably not the bird.

Swinhoe's Storm Petrel (Fair Isle) last night but presume as per previous years they've got to be there at the time, as not targettable again, due to tape luring ethics??

Swinhoe's Storm Petrel (Fair Isle) last night but presume as per previous years they've got to be there at the time, as not targettable again, due to tape luring ethics??

They didn't seem to apply these ethics at Filey where the species was targeted nightly for a week or more in the 90's?

Neither do these ethics prevent Shetland ringers from targeting extreme rarities which all seem to end up with a 'leg iron' on wherever they turn up.

A

They didn't seem to apply these ethics at Filey where the species was targeted nightly for a week or more in the 90's?

Neither do these ethics prevent Shetland ringers from targeting extreme rarities which all seem to end up with a 'leg iron' on wherever they turn up.

A

If the bird was remotely bothered by its occasional hosting at the Obs it would summer off Muckle Flugga. Or Norway.

Or it really is as bone-headed as being off Fair Isle instead of its natal island, and repeatedly being conned into landing in a net might suggest.....

John

A

Andy

They were targeted all the way up the East coast but they were only ever caught at Tynemouth - during a routine European Storm-petrel ringing project - and the maximum number of occasions when the same bird was caught in a year was three.

(A bird has been caught at Cove since.)

All the best

Last edited:
Andy

They were targeted all the way up the East coast but they were only ever caught at Tynemouth - during a routine European Storm-petrel ringing project - and the maximum number of occasions when the same bird was caught in a year was three.

(A bird has been caught at Cove since.)

All the best

Tynemouth yes, sorry,
anyway, how can you be sure that you won't catch the same bird?

A

Any ideas when we pop the champagne corks on the year record? If LGRE is regarded as the highest in a year, it appears he himself stated 657. However with the split happy 400club list being used, our three must be past that already.

Apologies if already covered.

I have read reference to the latest IOC update resurrecting Lesser Redpoll. I have found their recording of subspecies haphazard and I am unsure if they have already seen it?

All the best

What population is this based on? Thanks

I just read in a publication about cat C species in Germany that they assume it is unlikely that this species could get self sustaining populations in Europe. But theoretically it could be established earliest in 2019. That is based on the population in Northrhine-Westphalia where the species breeds annually since 1995 and the actual population size is estimated on up to 20 breeding pairs.

The publication is linked here:
http://www.club300.de/publications/index10.php

But it is written in German and if the WP Big Yearers doesn't like to go to Germany for such a stunning species as Black-browed Albatross there is no reason at all to visit German language for Wood Duck et al...

I have read reference to the latest IOC update resurrecting Lesser Redpoll. I have found their recording of subspecies haphazard and I am unsure if they have already seen it?

All the best

Whilst at the same time

'Decline proposed lump of Arctic/Hoary Redpoll w Common Redpoll'

A

But it is written in German and if the WP Big Yearers doesn't like to go to Germany for such a stunning species as Black-browed Albatross there is no reason at all to visit German language for Wood Duck et al...

Daniel, be patient, I am sure they will come to Germany. I met the guys in Eilat, and when they heard where I come from they were inquiring about Yellow-headed Amazon in Stuttgart, which is not too far from my place, at least from a Swedish perspective. With a certain disgust of course (concerning the Amazon, not Stuttgart ;)). I guess on the same trip they will clean up with Germany's second iconic species, Swan Goose.

I assume with Wood Duck in Cat. C Germany will eventually be ahead of Portugal regarding the number of countable plastics.

Whilst at the same time

'Decline proposed lump of Arctic/Hoary Redpoll w Common Redpoll'

Methinks Paul's second part "I have found their recording of subspecies haphazard" refers to the Swedish yearlist team, not IOC. That right, Paul? It took me a while to realise that!

Methinks Paul's second part "I have found their recording of subspecies haphazard" refers to the Swedish yearlist team, not IOC. That right, Paul? It took me a while to realise that!

I did realise that Nutty and should have edited the quote to reflect.

I was simply noting that they split one and reject the lump of another which seems at odds with the recently received wisdom which was was trickling down?

A

Daniel, be patient, I am sure they will come to Germany. I met the guys in Eilat, and when they heard where I come from they were inquiring about Yellow-headed Amazon in Stuttgart, which is not too far from my place, at least from a Swedish perspective. With a certain disgust of course (concerning the Amazon, not Stuttgart ;)). I guess on the same trip they will clean up with Germany's second iconic species, Swan Goose.

I assume with Wood Duck in Cat. C Germany will eventually be ahead of Portugal regarding the number of countable plastics.

Do you have any links to the Category C species in Germany and where to find them? I've seen a few pictures of Swan Goose there and they all look like domestic geese to me.

Do you have any links to the Category C species in Germany and where to find them? I've seen a few pictures of Swan Goose there and they all look like domestic geese to me.

The complete list of species recorded in Germany including their category can be found here:

http://www.club300.de/ranking/birdlist_de.php

Swan Geese are given as Anser cygnoides f. domestica. Nothing more to add...

Oh, and we're still waiting for the "Where to watch plastics in Germany" to be published!

Last edited:
Daniel, be patient, I am sure they will come to Germany....

Yes but for me it doesn't help that they will come here for the plastic (although I have to say that I personally liked to watch the Amazon in Stuttgart some ten years ago and the Alexendrine parakeet last year in Düsseldorf!) and already managed to miss the chance for the albatross (for the whole year probably?)...

I did realise that Nutty and should have edited the quote to reflect.

I was simply noting that they split one and reject the lump of another which seems at odds with the recently received wisdom which was trickling down?

A

Yes - I was referring to the WP Team's recording of subspecies. If you click on Taxonomic rather than date, it organises their year list in taxonomic order:-

http://www.bigyearwp.com/index.php/igoterra-ticks/

On redpolls:-

239 Common Redpoll Acanthis flammea flammea 01.20 Sweden
244 Arctic Redpoll Acanthis hornemanni 01.23 Sweden

On Yellow Wagtails, some obvious missing holes perhaps:-

156 Western Yellow Wagtail Motacilla flava 01.12 Kuwait
Western Yellow Wagtail Motacilla flava lutea 04.09 Kuwait
Western Yellow Wagtail Motacilla flava iberiae 02.03 Morocco
Western Yellow Wagtail Motacilla flava pygmaea 05.12 Egypt
Western Yellow Wagtail Motacilla flava feldegg 03.24 Israel
Western Yellow Wagtail Motacilla flava thunbergi 02.03 Morocco

All the best

The complete list of species recorded in Germany including their category can be found here:

http://www.club300.de/ranking/birdlist_de.php

Swan Geese are given as Anser cygnoides f. domestica. Nothing more to add...

Oh, and we're still waiting for the "Where to watch plastics in Germany" to be published!

Interesting that there is no mention of Rhea on the German list as Cat C. I know that there is the "3 generations" thing before a species can be classed as Cat C in Germany, but seems they are breeding well and have been for 16 years or so. Let down by their own longevity!

http://www.10000birds.com/greater-rheas-germanys-new-big-bird.htm

Certainly a better bird than those horrendous Swan Geese!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back