• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (5 Viewers)

I assume with Wood Duck in Cat. C Germany will eventually be ahead of Portugal regarding the number of countable plastics.
I'm struggling to understand this post considering you have 16 category C species in Germany (according to the link provided above), versus 8 in Portugal, which includes one extinct and one C6 (vagrant from other introduced populations). Even if the C list in Portugal gets updated and includes 1 or 2 more species, it doesn't go near Germany.

So will you please elaborate?

I'm struggling to understand this post considering you have 16 category C species in Germany (according to the link provided above), versus 8 in Portugal, which includes one extinct and one C6 (vagrant from other introduced populations). Even if the C list in Portugal gets updated and includes 1 or 2 more species, it doesn't go near Germany.

So will you please elaborate?

To be honest, I counted neither the German nor the Portuguese Cat C species. I just always felt that Portugal has many more than the rest of Europe. Completely wrong I see...

... and already managed to miss the chance for the albatross (for the whole year probably?)...

Seems that they haven't missed the chance completely. See yesterday's observation off the Belgian coast! A 1st for Belgium - as the Oriental Pratincole was a 1st for Finland two days earlier! Is/was the latter twitchable? I'm very curious what they will do next or where they will go first when they are on the road again from today on...

I just read in a publication about cat C species in Germany that they assume it is unlikely that this species could get self sustaining populations in Europe. But theoretically it could be established earliest in 2019. That is based on the population in Northrhine-Westphalia where the species breeds annually since 1995 and the actual population size is estimated on up to 20 breeding pairs.

The publication is linked here:
http://www.club300.de/publications/index10.php

But it is written in German and if the WP Big Yearers doesn't like to go to Germany for such a stunning species as Black-browed Albatross there is no reason at all to visit German language for Wood Duck et al...

There's also a newer publication with a new way to assess if a bird is naturalised here

Bauer H-G, Geiter O, Homma S & Woog F 2016: Non-native bird species in Germany – revision of national status categories. Vogelwarte 54: 165-179.

Currently we have the following category C species on our national list:
Black Swan as C1 and C5 (ringed bird from dutch population), established 2004
Snow Goose as C1 and D, established 2011
Bar-headed Goose as C1 and probably C5, established ~2005
Canada Goose as C1 and C5, established 1981
Ruddy Shelduck as C1 and C5, established ~2001
Egyptian Goose as C1 and C5, established ~2010
Mandarin Duck as C1 and possibly C5, established 1985
Common Pheasant as C1, established ~1750
Rock Pigeon as C1 and probably C4, established prior 1500
Rose-ringed Parakeet as C1, established 1993
Alexandrine Parakeet as C1, established 2012
Yellow-headed Parrot as C1, established 2010

(Whooper Swan, Mute Swan, Greylag Goose, Barnacle Goose, Red-crested Pochard, Ferruginous Duck and other geese and ducks in A and C2)

Swan Goose as C4, established 2016

Ruddy Duck as C5, established in GB, F, NL
African Sacred Ibis as C5, established in F, I (however no record securely assignable to any of the established populations, thus categorization heavily criticized)

Currently in category E1
Greater Rhea, will become established 2025
Wood Duck, will become established in 2019
Greater Flamingo, established under time and generation criteria in 2012 but population of 2-3 pairs too small and survival only due to human help (electrical fence, agradation control)
Chilean Flamingo, established under time and generation criteria in 2013 but population of 5-8 pairs too small and survival only due to human help (electrical fence, agradation control)

They went to Biebrza and secured Aquatic Warbler. Definitely a wise move...
They don't have Lesser Redpoll yet (quite surprisingly) and will lose Thayer's Gull when the new IOC checklist becomes official

Good about Aquatic Warbler. It seems that the team chases rarities only in time free from their regular itinerary.

In the theme of cat C species. It was pointed that Common Pheasant in many regions of Europe, without releases and active hunting management, relatively quickly dies out. Anybody ever attempted to make a map or list which populations of Common Pheasants in Europe are really stable and unstable established?

Good about Aquatic Warbler. It seems that the team chases rarities only in time free from their regular itinerary.

In the theme of cat C species. It was pointed that Common Pheasant in many regions of Europe, without releases and active hunting management, relatively quickly dies out. Anybody ever attempted to make a map or list which populations of Common Pheasants in Europe are really stable and unstable established?

It is mentioned in BWPi, with most populations from Turkey and Caucasus eastwards regarded as wild. There was some speculation that the resident population in eastern Greece may also be wild.

Good to see they did the reasonable thing in getting Aquatic Warbler now, rather than much more speculatively in Portugal in late August. Website updated as well:

http://www.bigyearwp.com/index.php/igoterra-ticks/

There was some speculation that the resident population in eastern Greece may also be wild.

According to the "Atlas of breeding birds in Bulgaria" (Inakov 2007) Ph. c. colchicus was autochthonic in Bulgaria - mostly in the southeast - since the Pleistocene. It had a natural population in the southeast and some isolated areas further north and west until 1895 when the first Ph. c. torquatus were introduced. The introduction of other ssp. and the interbreding/hydridisation led to an extinction of the wild form, which where still around by 1960. The last birds with typical morophological features for the ssp. colchicus where observed for the last time around 1989.

Good about Aquatic Warbler. It seems that the team chases rarities only in time free from their regular itinerary. ...

Definitely the right decision to go for Aquatic Warbler in Poland. But about twitching in spare time you are not completely correct. Today they wanted to start the next Mediterranean leg. So hopefully they do some twitching and cleaning-up before starting in Spain with White-rumped Swift et al plus plastics...

Neither - nor... They are not exactly tame, but also not realy afraid. As far as I know there where no incidents with people, but one has to drive carefully, cause they sometimes stand unexpected behind bends on roads.

Thanks!

Bit of a shame about the two white ones though, spoils the effect and makes them look the more plastic. Without them, you could pretend you were in Argentina.

Amur Falcon back/relocated in Cornwall yesterday - although no news yet today.

Posted about Caspian Tit a while back - is that a species they could count?

Amur Falcon back/relocated in Cornwall yesterday - although no news yet today.

Posted about Caspian Tit a while back - is that a species they could count?

If seen in Azerbaijan, yes then they could count it. However I doubt they'll return to the region this year.

Instead of the Amur Falcon they got an ALMOST equally as awesome new species: Swan Goose!!! You guys can't believe how envious I am... :p

If my interpretation is right they drove straight from Lithuania over Poland to Germany and will continue their journey to southern europe. Their targets should thus be

California Quail
Reeves's Pheasant
Cory's Shearwater
Manx Shearwater
Balearic Shearwater
Rüppell's Vulture
Elegant Tern
Roseate Tern
White-rumped Swift
Eleonora's Falcon
Yellow-headed Amazon
Iberian Chiffchaff