• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Canon IS Models (1 Viewer)

Interesting. The IS technology in Canon lens has really improved over time, a newer lens has about 4 stops of IS efficacy which is pretty stunning. Close focus looks decent, and weight looks manageable, but the field of view is perhaps mediocre and they appear to not be weather sealed, unless I'm missing something? Awesome to see new IS bins but I guess just a bummer they're not L series.

Thanks Ted.

It is good to know that Canon is still actively involved in the sports optics market.

Thanks for links.
Looked at 10x32.
A lot of glass elements.
It seems to use the 8x25 IS stabilizer rather than the prism system.

Nikon? make 32mm IS binos?

An 8x25 IS from 2014 is excellent. The 2016 sample is very poor, probably a lemon.
An earlier one is a different IS, maybe prism shift.

I suppose the lens shift method is cheaper to make.
It seems to be limited to 32mm.
Probably used in Canon lenses?

Pleased not CR123A batteries. Expensive in the field or abroad.

Does one have to press the d-mn button down to make it work, or does it lock for 5 minutes?

Do they do a special price for a set of three?
I'd probably get the 14x32.

When do we get a Canon IS scope?

I hope the front rubber rings don't fall off as happens with the 8x25 IS.

P.S.
All +/-1.0 deg correction angle.
55mm IPD minimum useful for some, especially ladies and younger folk.
Still only 3 dioptre correction. Not enough for some.
Not very lightweight.

8x25 IS 490g
10x30 IS II 600g

12x32 IS 780g

Those front rubber rings look too thin, unless they extend under the rubber body cover or have better grip than on the 8x25 IS.
I hope that the front optical windows don't fall out.
The MRP is too high for me to consider early purchase, unless the shop price is less.

Last edited:
FYI, from Canon's USA Blog announcement HERE !?!

Ted

Thanks for the news.

Well, well, well who would have thought it?

After the upgrades to the 10x30 and 12x36 was anybody expecting these?

The close focus is very welcome but the main innovation seems to be the Powered IS. Now two IS buttons to chose from, powered for static and normal for moving objects.

Wonder if they'll have these at the Birdfair. If anyone goes and gets a chance to try them feedback would be very welcome.

Does one have to press the d-mn button down to make it work, or does it lock for 5 minutes?

Just had a look at "The explorers of the natural world", youtube video.

It looks as if the button is push on, push off with presumably timed switch off.

Doesn't look like push and hold.

I'm liking the look of the 10x32's...

I would imagine they will discontinue the older 10x30's, 12x36's and the 15x50's? The 14x32 sounds interesting for the 14x with a lighter weight but I wonder how dim it would be? The 10x32 also sounds interesting but I wonder how it would compare with the 10x42 IS-L optically? The new "powered" IS system could be worth the price alone if it gives you an even steadier, sharper image than normal IS as advertised. These could be ground breaking technology. Waiting for a review when they are available. Here is the preorder link at B&H if anybody want's to jump on them. I think regular alpha binoculars are in deep trouble with these coming out.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1352257-REG/canon_1372c002_10x32_is_image_stabilized.html

Last edited:
I would imagine they will discontinue the older 10x30's, 12x36's and the 15x50's? The 14x32 sounds interesting for the 14x with a lighter weight but I wonder how dim it would be? The 10x32 also sounds interesting but I wonder how it would compare with the 10x42 IS-L optically? The new "powered" IS system could be worth the price alone if it gives you an even steadier, sharper image than normal IS as advertised. These could be ground breaking technology. Waiting for a review when they are available. Here is the preorder link at B&H if anybody want's to jump on them. I think regular alpha binoculars are in deep trouble with these coming out.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1352257-REG/canon_1372c002_10x32_is_image_stabilized.html

Few bought them before - why would they now? Surely not on price. What it means is all current owners need the upgrade - including Dennis....lol.

Few bought them before - why would they now? Surely not on price. What it means is all current owners need the upgrade - including Dennis....lol.
Maybe few birders buy Canon IS binoculars according to the opinions on Bird Forum but for general observation the Canon's are pretty popular. On Amazon.com the Canon 10x30 IS is ranked 206 in binoculars sales, whereas, a fairly popular birding binocular like the Nikon M7 8x30 is ranked 450 in sales.

Last edited:
.........The 14x32 sounds interesting for the 14x with a lighter weight but I wonder how dim it would be?

That and I wonder how touchy eye placement would be with the 2.3mm exit pupil. Pocket size units with a similar exit pupil give me fits but maybe it would easier with a full size binocular with larger diameter eye cups. I do not know. That is small objective for a full size binocular with such a high power.

That and I wonder how touchy eye placement would be with the 2.3mm exit pupil. Pocket size units with a similar exit pupil give me fits but maybe it would easier with a full size binocular with larger diameter eye cups. I do not know. That is small objective for a full size binocular with such a high power.
The Canon IS also has the advantage of the stabilized view. Your view is not moving around as much so eye placement should be easier. A 14x, 27oz. IS binocular certainly sounds interesting. Especially if this new IS system is even more effective than the old one.

The Canon IS also has the advantage of the stabilized view. Your view is not moving around as much so eye placement should be easier. ..........

That thought occurred to me, but then the binocular will generally be anchored against the face so it should not be moving around. Hopefully some buyer will cover ease of eye placement in a review. I have the 15X50 so I suspect I will be happy with where I am at, but it is always interesting to check out new models.

The current models come with 30mm, 36mm and 50mm objectives as the power increases. The exit pupils in them stay at about a reasonable 3mm.

It looks like a prospective purchaser of the new ones is limited to a binocular with 32mm objectives and a decreasing size of the exit pupils depending on the power.

Bob

The interesting feature of these new Canon's is the Powered IS and the Lens Shift Image Stabilization and the fact that they actually give you a choice of what function to use depending on if your subject is moving or not. I wonder if this "improved" IS system would make up for it not having L glass and having a smaller aperture than the 10x42 IS-L. The 10x32 IS has the advantage over the 10x42 IS-L of being at least 10 oz. lighter and looking ergonomically superior. Could it come close to the optics of the bigger L glass 10x42 IS-L? I will have to buy one and compare it to my 10x42 IS-L. They have really jumped up in price but it is probably due to the improved technology of the newer IS system. Anyway they will be interesting to try. It could be that this will be the entire new Canon IS binocular line. Just these three models and everything else will be discontinued. The 32mm aperture keeps the weight down and 10x, 12x and 14x are probably the most popular magnifications for IS binoculars.

Last edited:
Would it not be simpler for Canon to fit a modest zoom eyepiece instead of offering three separate glasses with slightly different magnifications?

Would it not be simpler for Canon to fit a modest zoom eyepiece instead of offering three separate glasses with slightly different magnifications?
Nah. Zoom eyepieces don't work that well. It would be fantastic if they did. A Canon 10 to14x32mm IS binocular that worked well would be awesome. Looks like Amazon.com has the Canon 14x32 IS binoculars ready to ship in 2 to 4 weeks for $1238.64. Actually with a 6.6 foot close focus at 14x the 14x32 would give a Papillio a run for their money in bug watching and they would be great for hawks or anything like wolves at distance. They could replace a spotter. They use AA batteries and you just press the IS button once for stabilization like the 10x42 IS-L's.

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Camera...3512&sr=8-1&keywords=Canon+10x32+IS+Binocular

Last edited:
Nah. Zoom eyepieces don't work that well. It would be fantastic if they did. A Canon 10 to14x32mm IS binocular that worked well would be awesome.

I just can't understand the problem with zoom eyepieces. Canon sells millions of zoom lenses for cameras, so what is it that makes the technology so hard to put into binoculars. Especially IS models, as those already have the power supply installed.

They would be crazy to discontinue the 15x50 IS.
It is one of the finest binoculars, even Zeiss admit this.
However, it may not be cost effective to continue making it if it needs expert technicians to set it up correctly.

I do not agree that the tilt IS is better than the variprism IS system.
My 10x30 II Is is wonderful.
The 8x25 IS 2014 sample is also excellent, but not better.
I think that the tilt mechanism is cheaper to make as the technology may be similar to Canon IS lenses.

Maybe the money people at Canon actually want to make a profit on IS binoculars. That might be a reason to drop less profitable models.

I don't know if Nikon still sell their IS binoculars, but the new Canons might kill them off, unless the waterproof Nikons have an edge.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back