Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 12th August 2017, 17:39   #1
Hati

nikon se 10x42

Hi, I want to ask what is the resolution, contrast and brightness of the nikon se 10x42 comparing to the swarovski slc 10x42? Which are the strengths of the nikon se in comparison with the swarovski 10x42 and other high roof alphas? Thank in advance!
Old Saturday 12th August 2017, 17:49   #2
Hermann

The optics are exellent - resolution, contrast are both really very good indeed. I wouldn't say they are better than the current rop of top roofs though, but they can still hold their own, even though the coatings are not really up to scratch compared to, say, a Zeiss HT.

However, the SE went out of production some time ago now, so you can't buy new ones nowadays. And it's NOT waterproof. It's ok in wet weather, but you have to be careful. And I certainly wouldn't use it as my main pair in really tough weather condidtions or at the North Sea coast. Too much salt in the air for the SE, at least in my opinion.

Hermann
Old Monday 14th August 2017, 14:26   #3
Sollas

Hi Hati,

I have the Nikon 8x32 SE's and they're a fantastic binocular. Beautifully made with very nice, tactile rubber armour. Optically crystal clear.

Its true they're not "waterproof" but I've had mine for over 10 years in the damp Scottish climate including rain and never had any problem. Indeed if it was a problem it wouldn't have been one of the most successful binoculars of all time.

For the price they'll be hard to beat. The HT's are of course another level up and probably the best binocular I ever looked through.

The dilemma of course is how much you spend for what you crave..... all about finding the balance though.
Old Monday 14th August 2017, 15:10   #4
PHA

Hi,

I don´t know the actual street price for a mint SE 10x42. Some 7 years ago I compared side by side a SE 10x42, new, with my Swarovski Habicht W GA 10x40, in very good condition.
The "test" was made at the evening, looking at buildings, trees, cars, lights, etc.
The S Habicht was, clearly, better in almost all optics caracteristics. And, a big plus, is water/weather proof by the factory. And is still made or offered.

Good luck

PHA
Old Monday 14th August 2017, 18:00   #5
denco@comcast.n

Optically the Nikon 10x42 SE is behind the top alpha's now although for the money it is a pretty good buy IF you can find one. For similar money though I would buy the Tract Toric 10x42 instead and then you have optics that are at least as good plus it is waterproof. The SE can't compete with the big AFOV of the top alpha's like the 10x42 SF Zeiss or even the Swarovski SV 10x42. It doesn't have the WOW factor for that reason.
Old Monday 14th August 2017, 18:05   #6
jring

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHA View Post
I don´t know the actual street price for a mint SE 10x42. Some 7 years ago I compared side by side a SE 10x42, new, with my Swarovski Habicht W GA 10x40, in very good condition.
The "test" was made at the evening, looking at buildings, trees, cars, lights, etc.
The S Habicht was, clearly, better in almost all optics caracteristics. And, a big plus, is water/weather proof by the factory. And is still made or offered.
Hi,

in the evening the main optical problem of the Habicht series - lack of internal blackening leading to haze and or reflections - might not be visible unless you look almost into the setting sun... the 10x40 is not as bad as the 8x30 but the SE is classes better.
Plus the Habicht 10x40 hat undersize prisms leading to truncated exit pupils and even more reflection.
The SE has a very nice field flattener which makes image sharp to the edge - with the Habicht the outer 25% of the field are blurry due to field curvature.

And then there's ergonomics... eye relief on the Habicht is 13mm - forget about glasses and the focuser is kind of stiff due to the waterproofing.

Joachim

Last edited by jring : Monday 14th August 2017 at 18:11. Reason: expanded
Old Monday 14th August 2017, 18:11   #7
Vespobuteo

Don't see any point in buying a porro these days. Mainly because the lack of usability (ergonomics, focuser, eye relief) and/or weather sealing. SE have good optics but is a pain to use and hold IMO. But you might like it, preferences differ.

Last edited by Vespobuteo : Monday 14th August 2017 at 18:13.
Old Monday 14th August 2017, 19:02   #8
jring

Hi,

well, of course if one doesn't like the form of porro bins in general, then don't bother with them - for me the SE works very well.
And since I managed to get one and like it a lot, I don't feel like spending a 4 digits amount for a roof which comes close.
And I have dragged my SE through the jungle without problems - put it in a ziplock bag with a silicagel pack along with photo stuff if it got wet (or a drybox if offered).

For me the Habicht is not even equal due to the focuser and glare.

Joachim
Old Monday 14th August 2017, 20:09   #9
PHA

Hi jring,

I don't know if you have or have seen a S. Habicht 10x40 of the last versions. I have one and comparing it with my Zeiss Victory HT 10x42, I can assure the Habicht is CLEARLY better in its veiling glare correction than the HT. CLEARLY.
And, side by side with the Nikon SE 10x42, I have no doubt about the optical superiority of the Habicht.
About the mechanics and construction, well, the Habichts are in other galaxie!
But, of course, different people, different opinions!

Best Regards.

PHA
Old Tuesday 15th August 2017, 18:47   #10
jring

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHA View Post
I don't know if you have or have seen a S. Habicht 10x40 of the last versions. I have one and comparing it with my Zeiss Victory HT 10x42, I can assure the Habicht is CLEARLY better in its veiling glare correction than the HT. CLEARLY.
And, side by side with the Nikon SE 10x42, I have no doubt about the optical superiority of the Habicht.
About the mechanics and construction, well, the Habichts are in other galaxie!
But, of course, different people, different opinions!
Hi,

well, my impression was different when meeting a fellow birder with a new Habicht 10x40 a few week ago and so was his unfortunately, which made things a bit awkward...

In short, the Habicht was probably a little bit better in center field sharpness and maybe transmission but not visibly so.

Sharpness in the field obviously went to the SE by a huge margin due to the field flattening as did the false-light test - veiling glare was easy to see in the Habicht with light reflected from the river. Not so in the SE.

The focuser on the Habicht was stiff as hell (hopefully it gets a bit better with time) and of course 13mm ER and the owners glasses didn't go well...

I could have swapped my SE for a barely used Habicht that day but I had to decline...

Joachim
Old Tuesday 15th August 2017, 22:22   #11
PHA

Hi jring,

Good for you! If you prefer the Nikon SE. It is a very good binocular, indeed! I am very happy, also, with my Habicht. The stiff focusing ring is due to the sealing in the tubes of the moving objective saddle. I think (and hope...), this SHOULD be no better with time!

Good luck!

PHA
Old Tuesday 15th August 2017, 23:48   #12
Rathaus

Stunning optics aside (including solid glare resistance in the 10x40), I'm a huge fan of the focus mechanism on Habicht binoculars. It's smooth and perfectly firm and you know it will last a few lifetimes. Understandably, those with extremely effeminate or soft and delicate hands/fingers could find a Habicht slightly challenging...so those folk should perhaps take note. An excellent reference point on this topic is that small children have no problems focusing Habicht binoculars or using them regularly!
Old Wednesday 16th August 2017, 00:42   #13
denco@comcast.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathaus View Post
Stunning optics aside (including solid glare resistance in the 10x40), I'm a huge fan of the focus mechanism on Habicht binoculars. It's smooth and perfectly firm and you know it will last a few lifetimes. Understandably, those with extremely effeminate or soft and delicate hands/fingers could find a Habicht slightly challenging...so those folk should perhaps take note. An excellent reference point on this topic is that small children have no problems focusing Habicht binoculars or using them regularly!
Are those small children from a different Primate family than Homo sapiens?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chimpanzee_thumb.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	636389  

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Wednesday 16th August 2017 at 00:47.
Old Wednesday 16th August 2017, 01:13   #14
Rathaus

If anyone is considering the Nikon SE then they should also take a serious look at the Habicht.
If you don't require spectacles, the Habicht 10x40 will happily compete with most any current 10x40/42 binocular. I'm a big fan of its shorter eye relief. I also love the fact that it doesn't employ field flatteners. Big Thumbs up for a silky smooth firm focus. Habicht light transmission is still in a class of its own. Habicht come with a 30year warranty in australia, and a rubber armoured Habicht would easily be the toughest binocular I've ever handled. Most importantly, It suits my personal viewing preferences. One of the reasons I enjoy the Leica Noctivid so much is that, to me, it is the first roof binocular I've looked through which offers a Habicht porro image aesthetic to its view. This is a personal thing. The Noctivid offers numerous modern roof advantages.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3233.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	636390  
Old Wednesday 16th August 2017, 01:17   #15
PHA

Hi Rathaus,

Agree. Well put in words.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread