Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 5th January 2017, 20:41   #1
AdamSi

Anyone using or tested the new 85mm razors he scope?

As per the title anyone have or tested one yet? We are off to the Scottish highlands in April for 2 weeks and looking to replace my Nikon ed50a before then and I love the razor he binos I have now and hoping the scope is up there with the best in the same price range
Old Wednesday 25th January 2017, 20:37   #2
AdamSi

Well I took the plunge today and it will be here either tomorrow or Friday, not many reviews or comments online but ones that are about were all very positive with increased DOF over previous model, if its anything line the Razor binoculars I will be very happy. I am also told that the Phoneskope for the iPhone 7+ is expected in the UK next week so fingers crossed again.
Old Thursday 26th January 2017, 00:31   #3
henry link

I suppose this information is coming a bit late, but the new Vortex Razor is one of a family of Japanese Kamakura made scopes which appear to share the same basic design. It includes the Kite KSP 80 HD (reviewed by Gijs van Ginkel), the new Zeiss Conquest Gavia 85 and the new Maven S.1. There's even one sold in Sweden under the Kamakura brand name (EDV 81), and there are probably others. The discontinued Brunton ICON was one which I reviewed here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=297258

I suppose, since you'll have your own Vortex version to evaluate soon there may be little point in reading about the other versions.

Henry
Old Thursday 27th April 2017, 21:57   #4
gcole

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSi View Post
Well I took the plunge today and it will be here either tomorrow or Friday, not many reviews or comments online but ones that are about were all very positive with increased DOF over previous model, if its anything line the Razor binoculars I will be very happy. I am also told that the Phoneskope for the iPhone 7+ is expected in the UK next week so fingers crossed again.
Hi ... I have not had the chance to try the 85 Razor but I did try the 65mm Razor HD first generation with the optional 18x eyepiece with long eye relief. The 18x eyepiece gave a brilliant view. The scope body I found no issues, smooth focusing, excellent quality & well built scope.
Old Monday 21st August 2017, 21:41   #5
jmgardner

i love my old razor. would love to hear how you liked this!
Old Monday 21st August 2017, 23:01   #6
AdamSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgardner View Post
i love my old razor. would love to hear how you liked this!
Absolutely love it, doesn't get used enough but deer rutting starts in just over a month so will get used a lot then, it's so clear and when in a bird hide a few months back a guy with Swarovski ATS60HD used it on a tawny owl at dusk aspen was really impressed although he only had a 60mm swarovski so think that would have a lot to do with it in dim light whereas my vortex was 85mm, it defiantly pinches above its weight and lifetime VIP warranty against accidents really helps (hopefully never need it)
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: