Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 6th September 2017, 23:52   #1
batvenci

swarovski slc 10x56

I have recently found a very interesting rest report on 10x binoculars:
https://www.kikkertspesialisten.no/w...ew_kikkert.pdf
where Swarovski SLC 10x56 is rated the first there ahead of Swarovision 10x50. While Swarovision has edge in field sharpness, SLC is ahead in contrast and brightness. Any experience with Swarovski SLC 10x56 and how good are they would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Thursday 7th September 2017, 13:07   #2
b3rd
Reg1stered User

This may be overly simplistic, but a 56mm vs. 50mm objective will be about 25% brighter, so that difference seems not entirely unsurprising. SLCs also have higher light transmission percentage, adding another 3%.

SLCs are also 20% heavier.

In my experience (mostly with camera lenses), the correlation between weight and quality in optics is pretty strong. Takes some serious material science and engineering to fight against that tendency.

BF Supporter 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 7th September 2017, 23:37   #3
batvenci

Very interesting and useful opinion, thanks.
Old Friday 8th September 2017, 13:10   #4
huronbay

Well Batvenci, I hope you get some more input from users, as also am interested.

Have had one of the updated models (2017 production) for a few months primarily to compare to a Zeiss HT 10x54. Most of what I use them for happens in low light. Unfortunately, I don't have a 10x50SV on hand to compare, but do have other Swaro exposure, including an updated 15x56 SLC.

I don't mind holding a large bino and most often use a harness if some time is involved--such as the Cabela's "hybrid," which I think was originally a product of Crooked Horn. When climbing and using one's hands, these will keep a large bino from knocking you out.

So far, am thinking the updated 10x56 SLC is the finest low light bino I have ever used both for contrast and sharpness. No doubt an 8x56 would appear brighter, but am no longer a pup. I would give it the same nod for daytime views, if I hadn't looked through a stabilized Canon 10x42.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: