Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 16th January 2017, 13:41   #26
paddy7

I tried the 33mm Kowa at the weekend, having had a previous look at the 44mm version, which was gorgeous but about the weight of a house-brick.
The thing i'd been struck by with the bigger bin was an unbelievable depth of focus, and thus how little you had to fiddle with it. I know there is much to muscle-memory and familiarity and design, but i'd just been using a Vanguard Endeavor EDII with a flat field and a much reduced DoF, so the difference was emphasised.
I found that although the 33mm was less bright than the 44 (this week's Sherlock Holmes award, i think!), it shared that depth of focus. Both models would suit those who maybe do their birding in big environments, with action taking place at a range of distances.
I mentioned this to the retailer, and he said 'well, Kowa do great glass!'
I'd have to agree - i really liked them.
Old Friday 3rd February 2017, 16:51   #27
Troubador

HI Paddy

I haven't tried the 44mm yet but I like the 33 a lot.

Lee
Old Thursday 9th February 2017, 08:23   #28
Piskeddu

Lee hello and good morning, everyone, use the Kowa 8.5x 44 5 years (before I had for sixteen years a Docter 10x40), binoculars do not like change often I have to like to touch and sight, what struck me the most it was the total absence of chromatic aberration, the sharpness and contrast.
Definitely does not have a wide field of observation but I dedicate mainly raptors and has never let me down, its weight is its very stable force in hand, keep in mind that I normally I move just walk and do about 15 km at a time .
I know there are around best binoculars but at what price? I think that a person should attach their wing attrezzaturae she did not disappoint. A hug, Giorgio
Old Thursday 9th February 2017, 08:45   #29
Piskeddu

I also apologize for going a little OT, I got hold of the Kowa 8x33, and I must say that confirms the professionalism of his older brother, now I'm used to 8.5, but if I wanted a lighter tool I would not doubt.
Old Thursday 9th February 2017, 12:10   #30
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piskeddu View Post
I also apologize for going a little OT, I got hold of the Kowa 8x33, and I must say that confirms the professionalism of his older brother, now I'm used to 8.5, but if I wanted a lighter tool I would not doubt.
Ciao Giorgio

It is good to hear from you. Do not not apologise for your enthusiasm. it is nice to hear. Please tell us some more about your adventures with your big Kowa.

Ciao Bello

Lee

Last edited by Troubador : Thursday 9th February 2017 at 12:25.
Old Thursday 9th February 2017, 15:48   #31
Piskeddu

Good evening, Lee, there you are satisfied, this is a week spent in Sicily to help an association (www.gruppotutelarapaci.it ) that preserves the Bonelli eagle.

http://www.binomania.it/sicilia-1321...nza-siciliana/

I think it is possible to translate directly from Binomania site. See you soon. Giorgio
Old Thursday 9th February 2017, 17:54   #32
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piskeddu View Post
Good evening, Lee, there you are satisfied, this is a week spent in Sicily to help an association (www.gruppotutelarapaci.it ) that preserves the Bonelli eagle.

http://www.binomania.it/sicilia-1321...nza-siciliana/

I think it is possible to translate directly from Binomania site. See you soon. Giorgio
Thank you Giorgio.

Nice picture of you and your Kowas and very nice picture of the Bonelli's.
Thanks for posting.

Saluti

Lee
Old Monday 20th March 2017, 14:48   #33
toasty1

Great review. I have the genesis 10.5x44 and they are a pure joy to look through. I've had them for years and still smile every time I bring them up to my eyes. These 8x33 have been on my radar for a couple years. May have to finally figure out how to get a pair.
Old Tuesday 5th September 2017, 22:42   #34
Stephen Mark

Lee
I pulled the trigger and got the Kowa 8X33's they are just as good as my bigger ones and something I can handle
when I'm carrying a Nikon D500 and a Tamron 150X600 lens. Probable the last pair I uy unless something happens to one and since Kowas are built like tanks I'm not to worried about that. Thanks for the reviews Lee they really helped with the decision.
Steve
Old Wednesday 6th September 2017, 16:43   #35
JoeJ

I take it the previous comparison was between the Zeiss Conquest and not the Victory model to the Kowa 8x33, as the Zeiss Victory model appears to have a higher price.
Old Wednesday 6th September 2017, 17:05   #36
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
I take it the previous comparison was between the Zeiss Conquest and not the Victory model to the Kowa 8x33, as the Zeiss Victory model appears to have a higher price.
HI Joe

The review of the Kowa did mention Zeiss Conquest HD and not Victory FL, so yes, you are correct.

Lee
Old Saturday 9th September 2017, 20:24   #37
JoeJ

Appears the KOWA Genesis 33 PROMINAR is selling for a hair under $900 to a tad over $900 from several retailers. A German firm is selling them with free shipping to the States. Is that just a promotion from KOWA or a sign of something to come?
Old Sunday 10th September 2017, 16:09   #38
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
Appears the KOWA Genesis 33 PROMINAR is selling for a hair under $900 to a tad over $900 from several retailers. A German firm is selling them with free shipping to the States. Is that just a promotion from KOWA or a sign of something to come?
Joe

In the UK Kowa has discounted the Genesis models from time to time, especially in the months up to Christmas, so this is not unknown by any means and it hasn't flagged up a replacement yet.

The biggest birding event in Europe, the British Bird Fair, has just finished in August and it seems unlikely that Kowa would be launching anything now or in the near future.

Lee
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: