Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 19th October 2016, 20:00   #1
Eli

Nikon coolpix b700

Hi

Anyone out there who knows anything about the nikon coolpix b700? I am looking to replace my canon powershot SX50 HS which I managed to break earlier this year.. The b700 sounds interesting, but I can't find any proper tests of it.
I am a keen birdwatcher, and I am looking for a camera suitable for bird photos, also birds in flight.

Regards Eli
Old Wednesday 19th October 2016, 23:58   #2
HermitIbis

Apparently it has entered the shops only a few days ago. The latest remark in that thread ("Does seem to have a problem focusing") isn't encouraging. - When I wanted something new after using the SX50 for four years, I seriously considered the Nikon P900. Even today I'd prefer the heavier model P900 (over the B700) which is available used for circa Euro 400.

On the other side, you mention "birds in flight". And that was exactly the reason why I finally bought the Nikon V2 and the 70-300CX lens. What these superzooms P900 or B700 can offer, at best, are small upgrades over the SX50. Their 5 or 7fps and the slow autofocus still isn't sufficient for much BIF.
Old Thursday 20th October 2016, 00:37   #3
Chris Oates
Why does a Black-headed Gull have a brown head...

These were taken with a P900 at 500 mm handheld of a Crow chasing a Kestrel - they raced around me 360 deg and I managed to get quite a few shots against a blank sky - I find the autofocus adequate - the enormous tele range is so useful. The camera is built down to a price and is quite crippled compared to a decent DSLR but it's versatility suits me - I've been interchangeable lens route before and would never go back just for birds in flight when I've got scope and bins to hump around as well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9864.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	602461  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9870.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	377.9 KB
ID:	602462  
Old Thursday 20th October 2016, 11:34   #4
HermitIbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Oates View Post
These were taken with a P900 at 500 mm handheld of a Crow chasing a Kestrel - they raced around me 360 deg and I managed to get quite a few shots against a blank sky - I find the autofocus adequate - the enormous tele range is so useful. The camera is built down to a price and is quite crippled compared to a decent DSLR but it's versatility suits me - I've been interchangeable lens route before and would never go back just for birds in flight when I've got scope and bins to hump around as well
Nice photos. - The V2+70-300CX combo is more expensive, but weighs 894g, 4g less than the P900. You can even separate lens and camera, easier to put them in your coat's pockets than with the P900.
Old Thursday 20th October 2016, 19:56   #5
Eli

Thank you for Your comments! I have considered the P900, but I'm a bit concerned about the weight. The b700 is much lighter, and I'm also lugging around a telescope and binoculars. The b700 also offers raw as an alternative, but I have no experience with that although it sounds interesting. Your combo sounds good Hermit, but I am also very interested in moths and butterflies f. ex. and want the macro function to be available all the time! The SX50 was great there! I have seen some great shots from the P900 on the net, yours including Chris, so I struggle a bit with decision now. Hopefully somebody will test the b700 soon, as I see it's for sale at long last here in Norway too.
Old Thursday 20th October 2016, 20:31   #6
HermitIbis

Shooting in raw format makes a big difference - in particular if you edit the files with something like DxO Optics Pro. This factor, plus the weight, are indeed real advantages of the B700. I admit that on days when I want to shoot macro around noon, I have to take another body + lens + extension tubes with me, adding a total of (another) 500g to the gear. - I am also eager to see reviews of the new camera.
Old Sunday 23rd October 2016, 18:01   #7
stu52

Hi all I have just treated myself to one of these to compliment my dslr my question is what is the best memory card for this camera what do you guys use
Old Monday 24th October 2016, 11:57   #8
HermitIbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu52 View Post
Hi all I have just treated myself to one of these to compliment my dslr my question is what is the best memory card for this camera what do you guys use
This website says "no UHS support", so a cheaper "class 10" card should be sufficient.

In my own UHS-I capable camera I prefer more expensive (40+ Euro) SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB cards, you can buy cards below 20 Euro without regret.
Old Monday 24th October 2016, 14:23   #9
Eli

I can't add any advice on memory cards, but I can't wait to hear what you think about the camera! I would really appreciate to see some photos too when you get that far!
Old Monday 24th October 2016, 17:48   #10
stu52

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermitIbis View Post
This website says "no UHS support", so a cheaper "class 10" card should be sufficient.

In my own UHS-I capable camera I prefer more expensive (40+ Euro) SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB cards, you can buy cards below 20 Euro without regret.
Thanks mate for the fantastic advice
Old Monday 24th October 2016, 17:54   #11
stu52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
I can't add any advice on memory cards, but I can't wait to hear what you think about the camera! I would really appreciate to see some photos too when you get that far!
Hi mate I took it out yesterday afternoon for a play its great fun I love the zoom I used it to id birds at huge distances and its equally good for close up shots. You do need a monopod for digital zoom its hard to hold steady but I love it anyway

Last edited by stu52 : Monday 24th October 2016 at 18:16.
Old Tuesday 25th October 2016, 20:44   #12
Eli

Quote:
Hi mate I took it out yesterday afternoon for a play its great fun I love the zoom I used it to id birds at huge distances and its equally good for close up shots. You do need a monopod for digital zoom its hard to hold steady but I love it anyway
Thanks, that makes me even more interested in the camera
Hope to see some photos soon!
Old Thursday 27th October 2016, 02:23   #13
GilaSki

Coolpix B700 memory cards

Quote:
Here is what the Coolpix B700 Reference Manual (p200) states with respect to memory cards:
Memory Cards That Can Be Used
The camera supports SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards.
The camera supports UHS-I.
Memory cards with an SD Speed Class rating of 6 or faster are recommended for recording movies (when recording 4K UHD movies at an image size/frame rate of 2160/30p or 2160/25p, cards rated UHS Speed Class 3 or faster are recommended). When using a memory card with a lower Speed Class rating, movie recording may stop unexpectedly.
Hope this helps.
Old Thursday 27th October 2016, 07:51   #14
HermitIbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaSki View Post
Here is what the Coolpix B700 Reference Manual (p200) states with respect to memory cards:
Memory Cards That Can Be Used
The camera supports SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards.
The camera supports UHS-I.
Thanks for the correction. In that case I can warmly recommend the SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB with a write speed of up to 95MB/sec.
Old Saturday 5th November 2016, 02:07   #15
Bird_Huszar

This camera seems very similar to the P610 which seems like a fairly decent replacement for the P600. Is RAW capability the only reason to choose the B700 over the P610? Or are there other factors? I found RAW to be unnecessary tbh...just my own personal opinion.
Old Friday 11th November 2016, 16:48   #16
Hermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird_Huszar View Post
I found RAW to be unnecessary tbh...just my own personal opinion.
I'm different. I won't buy a camera without RAW nowadays. Never ever.

Hermann
Old Friday 18th August 2017, 19:10   #17
Swissboy

Hello out there, I'm sure there must be more info by now about this camera. Would love to get some more reports here.

One of my friends claims stills taken from 4K videos of his B700 are rather better than straight photos. Can this be confirmed?
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 19th August 2017, 08:13   #18
nikonmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissboy View Post
Hello out there, I'm sure there must be more info by now about this camera. Would love to get some more reports here.

One of my friends claims stills taken from 4K videos of his B700 are rather better than straight photos. Can this be confirmed?
One possibility could be because it's like taking stills on continuous, with a long zoom it's possible to get unsharp images from the first couple of shots out of a burst but then some sharp ones.

I found that on the P900 and full zoom my first and even my second shot were often not as good as the later ones in the burst.
Old Tuesday 22nd August 2017, 22:42   #19
Swissboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonmike View Post
One possibility could be because it's like taking stills on continuous, with a long zoom it's possible to get unsharp images from the first couple of shots out of a burst but then some sharp ones.

I found that on the P900 and full zoom my first and even my second shot were often not as good as the later ones in the burst.
Thanks Mike, this makes sense. I'll tell my friend to test it.
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 12th September 2017, 13:09   #20
alphan

I am a Canon user. Currently using the 7D with 500mm 4.0 L IS. I am in the process of downgrading to 100-400 'll with 7D2 due to health issue. I am considering either P900 or B700 as a everyday carry around as I cannot easily mobilise my DSLR with humidity hitting upper 90s at time. With a lightweight tripod in my car, I can get any bird or other Nature stuff anytime. My primary hobby is bird but also into butterflies, insects at times.
Considering my purpose, would one recommend the P900 or B700?

Thanks.
Old Thursday 14th September 2017, 10:51   #21
iveljay

Every few years I buy a Nikon to try out, this time instead of an slr its the turn of a B700.

I am impressed by a lot, it is smaller and lighter than I imagined, but is straightforward to hand hold at maximum optical zoom in overcast and focussed faster and more accurately than expected (it is a few years since I last purchased a superzoom).

The evf seems a bit dated, but useable.

For insect and wild flower use the macro seems a bit limited, however, it may be me being unfamiliar with it on this camera.

So far in the winds, overcast and rain, the only birds I have seen have been rear views of the vast number of wrens that seem to have hatched this year and anyone who has managed to photograph a wren diving into a hedge at full pelt has my admiration.

Size and weight are important since my core system is OMD based and the B700 body is very close in size to say an E-M5 II, the P900 is somewhat bigger and heavier so is a bit retrograde for me, though may well help holding the longer lens. Weight depends on the lens fitted of course.

I have high hopes for this camera as it is already performing better than expected, despite only 24hrs of owning it.

It is of course coloured dark red as I now buy all 'fun/non-core system' cameras in some garish colour as it seems to upset a fair number of 'serious' photographers for some reason. This policy did backfire when I got an e-mail from Olympus asking if I wanted to join a group of women photographers after buying a white E-PL8! Happy to oblige but it might damage their all female credibility.

I cannot hold it steady at full digital zoom without support, the plan is that it may be mated with a lightweight monopod on occasion, but other than for any lens testing type use a tripod seems to defeat the point of owning this.
N.B. A full digital zoom shot, indoors, of a small clock face, using flash was again far better than I expected (I perhaps have low expectations from some things tested in the past!), but suggested that it would be useable for identification purposes.

This euphoria may not last another 24hrs or however long it takes the weather to improve for serious testing, but
I am quite encouraged so far. Its wi-fi and video capability are of no interest to me currently.

Glad to see this thread resurected at a good time from my point of view.

J
Old Thursday 14th September 2017, 13:30   #22
nikonmike

From what i understand its basically a P610 with raw added,i got on very well with my P610, a link to my P610 album.
I am thinking of getting the B700 so encourage me with your results

https://www.flickr.com/photos/723917...h/19360827199/
Old Sunday 17th September 2017, 15:59   #23
MrPerfect

I bought a Nikon B700 last week. I have limited time to get out right now, but I spent an hour at a local wildlife sanctuary yesterday shooting some birds. I am a rank amateur, but I was thrilled with my results. All are hand held. Here is a link to a Flickr album of yesterday's results.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm4LojHU
Old Sunday 17th September 2017, 16:15   #24
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum

Some great results there. Particularly like the Sparrow.

Rich

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 17th September 2017, 17:04   #25
nikonmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPerfect View Post
I bought a Nikon B700 last week. I have limited time to get out right now, but I spent an hour at a local wildlife sanctuary yesterday shooting some birds. I am a rank amateur, but I was thrilled with my results. All are hand held. Here is a link to a Flickr album of yesterday's results.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm4LojHU
Nice set of images some at full zoom i see,looks like Nikon got it right again.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: