Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 11th September 2017, 14:29   #1
himbird
IndianBirdy

Setting the aperture on the 18-55 for macro reversal

Dear all,

Apologies if I am posting in appropriate community.

After connecting reverse lens to camera Canon 1200D,the aperture shows F00 (lens not connected), which is right.. but how to get focus on the subject? what are the settings I should follow

When I am trying to capture, all images are coming blurred.

Equipment: Canon 1200D, Les kit: 18-55mm and lens reversing ring: JJC

Thanks

Sudhir
Old Monday 11th September 2017, 16:53   #2
nikonmike

I dont know about reversed zoom lenses for macro but it may be similar to none reversed,get the lens close to the subject start about one inch and just use the zoom ring instead of focus ring see if its any better,you may need to try different close distances.
Old Tuesday 19th September 2017, 10:35   #3
Malcolm Stewart

I think this is what you are looking for:-

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/closeu...os/8499_p.html

I've never tried one, but I believe it allows you to control the reversed lens' aperture. Not cheap though!
Old Tuesday 19th September 2017, 16:34   #4
iveljay

Don't forget that the main reason for reversing a lens is that lenses are designed to work with the image closer to the rear of the lens than the subject at the front. At macro distances the situation is reversed so with some lenses one could get a better corrected image by reversing the lens.

Some zoom lenses tended to a be a bit of a nuisance back in film days when I last reversed lenses, so I stuck to old manual primes. Most of the time I was mounting the camera + lens on a geared track attached to something solid as very small movements had a significant effect on focus and using the manual focus ring on the lens for fine focus.

In order to close the aperture I used lenses with a manual aperture, or modified the aperture closing mechanism at the rear of the lens. For those folks who used auto lenses there were devices similar to the speed graphic device that Malcolm has found.

In the end it became apparent that with many lenses the potential optical advantage of reversing a lens as opposed to just using extension rings was fairly minimal as most of the standard prime lenses had a fairly symetrical construction. That is not true with zoom lenses, so there are in theory possible gains to be made.

I personally have no desire to ever reverse a lens again. I assume that your motivation is that using extension rings caused lens abberations of an unacceptable nature in which case you may find that attaching close up lenses (or close up filters in some areas) to the filter ring and stopping down may be a solution.

I know I tried a reversing ring with extension rings once to try and achieve the image I wanted after giving up with bellows, but gave up as I think I needed something in between, but that may help in your case. I know I was manufacturing a lot of bits from scrap materials along the way.

Last edited by iveljay : Tuesday 19th September 2017 at 16:50.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: