• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thoughts about first scope (1 Viewer)

One thing I'm worried about is if I get a "lemon" and me being new to spotting scopes not being experienced enough to notice the flaws. I'd really appreciate some advice on easy tests to perform. I do have 20/20 vision, or atleast the military review told me, so I should be off to a good start :)

This thread may be useful to start:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=343582&highlight=star+test

Check out the comments by henry link and surveyor, they offer practical advice for appraising optics.

Update

Been using the MM4 on several trips now and I love it!
I'm glad I went with the bigger 60mm and find 40x to be just about perfect.

A bit tricky getting used to the scope in the beginning, being left eye dominant and preferring having both eyes open, but the eyes adapted quickly.

I don't have much to compare to but I find the scope very sharp and bright as long as you keep it slightly under 45x.
Took some handheld pics with me phone through the scope.
Really need to get an adaptor, turn on higher resoultion and less windy days ;)

Marsh harrier
Greylag geese
White-tailed eagle
100's of geese, grey herons, northern lapwings, arctic terns, black terns, ospreys, marsh harriers and those elusive peregrine falcons, white tailed eagles and great egrets ;)

Last edited:
Update

Been using the MM4 on several trips now and I love it!
I'm glad I went with the bigger 60mm and find 40x to be just about perfect.

A bit tricky getting used to the scope in the beginning, being left eye dominant and preferring having both eyes open, but the eyes adapted quickly.

I don't have much to compare to but I find the scope very sharp and bright as long as you keep it slightly under 45x.
Took some handheld pics with me phone through the scope.
Really need to get an adaptor, turn on higher resoultion and less windy days ;)

Marsh harrier
Greylag geese
White-tailed eagle
100's of geese, grey herons, northern lapwings, arctic terns, black terns, ospreys, marsh harriers and those elusive peregrine falcons, white tailed eagles and great egrets ;)
I,m pleased you found the 60mm and the 40x/45x Ideal
For portability I,ve found that combo suited me in the outdoors when near
Water and occasionally at other times with a pair of 8x30 bins alongside
for around 20 years when birdwatching etc, I have a 25x to which I rarely use with a Mirador Merlin spotting scope thou it has always had that look
of vulnerability about it linear I suppose and not being water proof (mostly because I have taken care of it) its been a faithful friend and a good workhorse for around £75 when I had it in march 1987 30 years ago has a
Birthday present from my father my first ever scope and only since for
That same value today you could,nt go wrong.

I am 'left eyed' too upettersson so sympathise. Tried both eyes open, covering one eye, squinting etc etc. In the end I built myself a gadget that works wonders and has made scoping the pleasure it's supposed to be. Really need some sleep now but can post a picture and instructions tomorrow if you (or anyone else) is interested.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back