Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 19th September 2017, 14:32   #1
valhondo

Best option for Samsung S8 digiscoping

I have a new Samsung S8 and I'm interested in trying it for digiscoping. I've been looking for information in this section and this is all I found:

"We will continue with the 3D printed parts for the time being but the advent of curved glass screens on the Samsung S8 means we won't make a version for that phone - the chances of the screen getting cracked on insertion/removal are too high."

related to an Opticron adapter.

I have Swarovsky scope with 20x-60x eyepiece.

Is anyone here using Samsung S8 for digiscoping? Are you using adapter for that? That information about curved screens getting cracked is not very nice.

Thank you.
Old Wednesday 20th September 2017, 02:31   #2
Steve O4B
VP of Sales, Optics4Birding.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhondo View Post
I have a new Samsung S8 and I'm interested in trying it for digiscoping. I've been looking for information in this section and this is all I found:

"We will continue with the 3D printed parts for the time being but the advent of curved glass screens on the Samsung S8 means we won't make a version for that phone - the chances of the screen getting cracked on insertion/removal are too high."

related to an Opticron adapter.

Is anyone here using Samsung S8 for digiscoping? Are you using adapter for that? That information about curved screens getting cracked is not very nice.

Thank you.
I don't see why curved screens should have problems with adapters that clamp onto the sides of a phone. Look at the Novagrade Digiscoping Phone Adapter on the Optics4Birding site. It fits large phones and most scopes.
Old Wednesday 20th September 2017, 16:49   #3
pete_gamby
Birds? What Birds?!

As Steve says, a universal adaptor with clamps is the best way to go.

Although we did have experience of a non-curved screen getting cracked using the Novagrade when the user hadn't put the correct size clamp arms on the adapter. As long as you follow the instructions carefully, all will be fine.

The Opticron 3D printed adapters use a tight friction fit so we are concerned that the pressure applied to each side of the phone might cause problems e.g. scratching and/or cracking. That's why we recommend our USM-2 universal adaptor for curved screens and larger phones such as the iPhone 7 Plus.

Cheers, Pete
Old Wednesday 20th September 2017, 19:53   #4
dalat

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhondo View Post
I have a new Samsung S8 and I'm interested in trying it for digiscoping.

Another option would be the Kowa adapter: http://www.kowaproducts.com/digiscop...copingadapter/

It fits well to the Swaro eypiece and can easily be adapted to other phones: you would need to buy a cheap hard case for your phone and glue the Kowa adapter plate on it (easy to do, I've done that with several cases by now). As you can use a normal case made for the S8, there should be no problems with glass cracking I guess...
Old Thursday 21st September 2017, 02:10   #5
Steve O4B
VP of Sales, Optics4Birding.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalat View Post
Another option would be the Kowa adapter: http://www.kowaproducts.com/digiscop...copingadapter/

It fits well to the Swaro eypiece and can easily be adapted to other phones: you would need to buy a cheap hard case for your phone and glue the Kowa adapter plate on it (easy to do, I've done that with several cases by now). As you can use a normal case made for the S8, there should be no problems with glass cracking I guess...
The Kowa Adapters fit perfectly on the eyepieces for the ATM / ATS / STM / STS scopes, but doesn't fit the ATX / STX scopes. The big problem is that Kowa doesn't have an adapter for the Samsung S8 yet.

For people who change their phones every two years, getting a universal adapter makes a lot more sense than getting a new adapter every two years as well.
Old Thursday 21st September 2017, 07:44   #6
dalat

Yes, the Kowa does not fit the ATX scopes, but it does on the 20-60 eyepiece of the OP.

The Kowa can be adapted easily to new phones, as i descriped above, all that is needed is a cheap hard case for the new phone and some double sided tape . Perfect for people who change their phones every 2 years, but not good for quick switching back and forth between different ones.

Last edited by dalat : Thursday 21st September 2017 at 07:47.
Old Sunday 24th September 2017, 13:16   #7
valhondo

Thanks for your kind replies.

I will take a look at those links. I'm also thinking in a "hand-made" adapter.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: