Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 22nd August 2017, 22:07   #1
McCormack

Focus Wheel Slop

I briefly owned a pair of Vortex New Diamondback 12 x 50's and now own a pair of New Diamondback 10 x 32's, and both models have an eighth to a quarter inch of focus wheel slop, which I find annoying. Has anyone else experienced that much play in their New Diamondback focus wheels?
Old Tuesday 22nd August 2017, 22:45   #2
jring

Hi,

welcome to BF, first of all!

Even if those are cheap chinese bins, a quarter of an inch of slack is too much. One eighth is borderline...

Joachim
Old Wednesday 23rd August 2017, 20:05   #3
McCormack

Thanks for the welcome. :^)

Agreed, it's certainly not too much to ask that Diamondback focus wheels have a minimal amount of play in them and I don't know what Vortex is thinking by selling binoculars with that type of flaw. It's a shame because the Diamondbacks have wonderful optics at their price point and I've enjoyed looking at stuff with them.
Old Thursday 24th August 2017, 01:24   #4
ceasar

Low priced Chinese made binoculars often have quality control problems. If you send it back to Vortex they will probably give you a new one under their warranty. See the link below to contact them.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/vip_warranty

Last edited by ceasar : Thursday 24th August 2017 at 01:27.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 24th August 2017, 02:12   #5
McCormack

Thank you for the link ceasar. I'll e-mail Vortex and see what they say about the situation, although I'm not too hopeful because if both the 12 x 50's that I had and the 10 x 32's that I presently have had slop in their focus wheels, I suspect that they're probably all that way.
Old Friday 25th August 2017, 00:54   #6
McCormack

I called Vortex today and while I was on the phone the rep tried the focus wheel on one of their demo New Diamondbacks and sure enough the wheel had some slop in it, so sloppy focus wheels are inherent to the New Diamondback line of binocs.

The rep said I should send my binoculars in and Vortex would fix them so there was no slop in the wheel, so I'll send them in next week and when I get them back I'll post back here and let you know if they tightened up the wheel or not.
Old Saturday 26th August 2017, 03:07   #7
NDhunter

Focuser slop like that is not acceptable in any binocular.

Thanks for pointing out the problem with that model.

There are many other choices in that price range that focus perfect.

Jerry
Old Saturday 26th August 2017, 15:14   #8
jgraider

I've never been impressed with the Diamondback personally. What you see is what you get.....a cheap, $200 Chinese binocular that us usable, but relatively low quality IMO.
Old Wednesday 30th August 2017, 04:56   #9
McCormack

I'm guessing that you've never owned a pair of New Diamondbacks because other than the focus wheel issue, mine are solid and seem to be well made, and the optics are first class for their price point.

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2...42/review.html

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2...hart_2016.html
Old Thursday 31st August 2017, 01:04   #10
chill6x6

There may in fact be slop in your focus BUT...
I have a MIC Eagle Optics Denali...paid like $130 for it new. Focus adjustment is tight as a drum and very smooth.

BF Supporter 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 28th September 2017, 17:08   #11
McCormack

A tight focus wheel is desirable, but for me it's all about the optics and if Eagle's $330.00 Ranger ED couldn't beat the New Diamondbacks in image quality, then it's doubtful that the lower priced Denali comes anywhere close. I can live with some play in the focus wheel in order to gain better optics.

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2...hart_2016.html

Last edited by McCormack : Thursday 28th September 2017 at 17:42.
Old Thursday 28th September 2017, 17:41   #12
McCormack

Update: I was skeptical that Vortex would be able repair the focus wheel issue on my binoculars and didn't want to pay the expense of shipping them in if they couldn't be repaired, so before I shipped them I called Vortex and they assured me that they could be fixed. I shipped them in, and ten days later I got a return box from Vortex that contained not my binoculars, but instead a brand new pair of along with a note stating that the old ones couldn't be fixed.

The new binoculars have about the same amount of slop in the focus wheel as the pair that I sent in so I didn't gain anything, and I was annoyed that I had taken the time and expense to send my binoculars in after being assured that they could be fixed. I e-mailed Vortex and expressed my displeasure, and I got a return e-mail that apologized for my trouble and asked what they could do to make it right. I responded by saying they could reimburse me for my shipping expense, and the next day a box arrived containing a nice Realtree Vortex hat and a check to cover my shipping.

I'm satisfied with that, and although I wish that the focus wheel was tighter, I like everything else about my New Diamondbacks, especially the class-leading optical quality.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: