• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tamron 2nd generation SP 150-600mm Di VC USD 'G2' (1 Viewer)

On paper, looks like they have addressed all the issues the first generation had

Very promising!

And the lens looks beatiful

Yes. Some handy upgrades, improved AF, decreased mfd down to 2.2m, purpose designed TC's (AF with 1.4x for f8 focusing cameras), 4.5 stop VC with 3 modes (including panning mode), slight weight increase ~50grams, minor Optical redesign (1 extra element) supposedly gives lower CA, and better sharpness, Zoom Lock, Electromagnetic diaphragm system now used for Nikon-mount lenses,tripod mount is compatible with an Arca-Swiss style quick release plate, Fluorine coating on front element (a Fluorite lens would have been better! :) , USB dock, arguably better looking? ....... and of course a price hike!

Lots of nice evoltionary upgrades. MTF curves show some minor improvement, but it's still no Nikon 800mm f5.6 FL 'WTF' curve! :eek!:

Chosun :gh:

If anything, this probably confuses the issue further ?? It sure would have been nice if they managed to quicken the aperture to f5.6 at 600mm ...... that would have been killer ! :gn:

Despite all the niceties, at the end of the day, the lens will live and die on it's sharpness. :brains:

My original Tamron 150-600 was very sharp thats why i put up with its other problems for so long before parting with it,this looks like they have taken note of the Sigma lenses,wonder if its aimed at the C or S.

Mike, I would say that it's still aimed at the C, but having an each way bet with tackling the S too.

The Sigma Sport still has 2 FLD lenses that even the Tammy G2 doesn't have (assuming they would trumpet it if they did). The Sport was widely regarded as sharper than the Tam G1 especially wide open (where let's face it, if you're hobbled by a fastest aperture of f6.3 to start with, you need to be spending as much of the time there as possible). How did your ex G1Tam compare to the Sport for sharpness wide open @600mm ?

Looking at pricing and weights - the G2 is firmly down the entry end.
Tam G1 - $1069 - 1950g
Sig C - $1089 - 1930g
Tam G2 - $1399 ~ 2000g
Sig S - $1999 - 2860g

I wish they'd added some FL type glass (even synthetic) and so peeled even more weight out of it, especially at the front. At least it's still a very usable walk around lens weight.

Well done to Tamron for listening and coming up with some nice changes - BUT - 600mm Sharpness wide open is going to count for a lot .....

Last edited:
My thought on the new Tammy is that if I have eighteen months to work on a known target (go buy three or four C and S sigma's and You should have now trouble beating either one. If you can't do that in the time given the go make buggy whips or something, Or change your name to Nikon Oh I guess that's taken sorry.
Steve

Looking at pricing and weights - the G2 is firmly down the entry end.
Tam G1 - $1069 - 1950g
Sig C - $1089 - 1930g
Tam G2 - $1399 ~ 2000g

[...] Chosun :gh:
The original Tamron 150-600 was first announced with $1500, its price fell soon enough. The second incarnation is meant to replace the first, so I'd predict that its price will eventually drop to Sigma C levels.

Considering performance on the Nikon D500 body only, which is the best performing lens out of the G2 Tami, and the 200-500 Niki?

Criteria would be (at say 30m + distances):
* IQ wide open at 600mm and 500mm respectively.
* How does this change with the Niki stopped down to f6.3 and cropped to 600mm.
* How does this change when both are stopped down to f8 and at 600mm.

* AF speed for BIF and in lower light conditions, say late afternoon.

Has anyone compared these setups, or can point to tests or reviews of these lenses on the D500?

All these juicy rumours of lighter weight Big Whites from Canon, and the Nikon response (maybe they'll even include the 300 f2.8 this time! :) , not to mention the prospect of a 600mm Canon DO and again the belated Nikon response, has me thinking perhaps I'd be better off with a stop gap setup .... :cat:

Considering performance on the Nikon D500 body only, which is the best performing lens out of the G2 Tami, and the 200-500 Niki?

Criteria would be (at say 30m + distances):
* IQ wide open at 600mm and 500mm respectively.
* How does this change with the Niki stopped down to f6.3 and cropped to 600mm.
* How does this change when both are stopped down to f8 and at 600mm.

* AF speed for BIF and in lower light conditions, say late afternoon.

Has anyone compared these setups, or can point to tests or reviews of these lenses on the D500?

All these juicy rumours of lighter weight Big Whites from Canon, and the Nikon response (maybe they'll even include the 300 f2.8 this time! :) , not to mention the prospect of a 600mm Canon DO and again the belated Nikon response, has me thinking perhaps I'd be better off with a stop gap setup .... :cat:

Hi Chosun!

I've bought Tami 150-600 G2 for my Canon 60d and I'm not satisfied with it. It has a huge back focus that Tamron service couldn't fix 2 times. I had to buy Tamron Tap in console and to adjust focus myself. It started to focus more precize after this. But still it is not so precize and sharp as I'd like it to be. Probably I just got a bad copy |:(|

Andrey

This thread has gone quiet.

There must be some folks out there who have the Tamron G2 - what is your impression?

Anyone compared the G2 with the original Tammy 150-600 or the Sigma Contemporary or the Sigma Sports?

DXOMARK review of the G2 Tammy (on a Canon 5dsr) out today https://www.dxomark.com/tamron-sp-150-600mm-f5-6-3-di-vc-usd-g2-review-affordable-tele-zoom/

I'm really struggling to see any justification to change to this lens especially as the price is remaining stubbornly high. No real increase in central sharpness, or wide open 600mm performance. :cat:

The drop in MFD to 2.2m is nice, as is purposely designed compatibility with the (similarly stubbornly expensive) 1.4x TC which reports at f8, but beyond that .....

Has anyone compared the G1 and G2 versions on a Nikon D500 or D7200?

Also, how does the G1 perform with the 1.4xTC ?

Last edited:
I'm in the market for one of these 150-600 Sigma/Tamron offerings at the moment - it seems to me that the Sigma Contemporary does not give up much to the Tamron G2, especially when the G2 is 61% more expensive but its resolution and AF are only marginally better (granted the Tamron G2 has better weather sealing).

I would rather put the difference towards a D500 body.

DXOMARK review of the G2 Tammy (on a Canon 5dsr) out today https://www.dxomark.com/tamron-sp-150-600mm-f5-6-3-di-vc-usd-g2-review-affordable-tele-zoom/

I'm really struggling to see any justification to change to this lens especially as the price is remaining stubbornly high. No real increase in central sharpness, or wide open 600mm performance. :cat:

The drop in MFD to 2.2m is nice, as is purposely designed compatibility with the (similarly stubbornly expensive) 1.4x TC which reports at f8, but beyond that .....

Has anyone compared the G1 and G2 versions on a Nikon D500 or D7200?

Also, how does the G1 perform with the 1.4xTC ?

This thread has gone quiet.

There must be some folks out there who have the Tamron G2 - what is your impression?

Anyone compared the G2 with the original Tammy 150-600 or the Sigma Contemporary or the Sigma Sports?

I've returned from trip to Sri-Lanka with Tamron 150-600 G2. Took pictures of 135 species of birds there, but didn't got lots of good shots. Most of pics are a bit blurry. Also it still have back focus. The lens also is not very good if you want to change zoom immediadely. It takes much more time for this operation than canon push-pull 100-400 lens. But Tamron was very good under heavy rain in tropical forest. The water didn't got inside it. I used umbrella but I was comletely wet together with my backpack, lens and camera. So it is really water resistant.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back