Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 2nd May 2017, 17:36   #1
gcole

Baader Hyperion Mark IV Zoom & Pentax PF-65ED Spotting Scope ?

Anybody out there who can verify that the new updated Mark IV Zoom will now focus to infinity in the little Pentax 65 ?
Old Thursday 4th May 2017, 16:17   #2
giosblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcole View Post
Anybody out there who can verify that the new updated Mark IV Zoom will now focus to infinity in the little Pentax 65 ?
According to Baader, you get an extra 4mm of back focus. Judging by my experience with my Pentax scopes, It should be enough.
Old Thursday 4th May 2017, 17:04   #3
mayoayo

Yes,I would agree ..Those 4mm back focus should be enough to reach infinity focus with the pentax 65,and many other spotters..I use a modified mk III with my 823 and I am very happy. Image quality and FOV rivals any good fixed power eyepiece,so for me the zoom versus fixed debate is now over...Mine is a home repaired unit and although still works fine,has some dust inside visible between 24 and 20mm ,not a problem for now,but i will buy the mk IV as a replacement if i ever need to..
Old Friday 5th May 2017, 22:59   #4
DRodrigues

Probably not...

I was also curious about this but at CN someone told that sold his Mark IV since it didn't reach focus on a PF-65...

http://www.pt-ducks.com

Last edited by DRodrigues : Saturday 6th May 2017 at 15:49.
Old Saturday 6th May 2017, 15:36   #5
mayoayo

I forgot that the pf65 has a stop at the bottom of the collar,that prevents some eyepieces to fit all way down and sit on the collar..the pentax xf zoom,has some grooves at the bottom to fit this feature and allows for a perfect fit..I had to cut a little notch on the bottom of the older swaro astro version zoom to allow forinfinity focus..i wonder if this could be the cause..it would have a very easy solution..It is very strange though,because there is a report of a slightly modified baader mk iii reaching focus on the pf 65,so if baader improved the fit of the hardware on the mk iv it should work,at least at 20mm

Last edited by mayoayo : Saturday 6th May 2017 at 16:02.
Old Saturday 6th May 2017, 16:20   #6
gcole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayoayo View Post
I forgot that the pf65 has a stop at the bottom of the collar,that prevents some eyepieces to fit all way down and sit on the collar..the pentax xf zoom,has some grooves at the bottom to fit this feature and allows for a perfect fit..I had to cut a little notch on the bottom of the older swaro astro version zoom to allow forinfinity focus..i wonder if this could be the cause..it would have a very easy solution..It is very strange though,because there is a report of a slightly modified baader mk iii reaching focus on the pf 65,so if baader improved the fit of the hardware on the mk iv it should work,at least at 20mm
Lately my curiosity has been causing my checking account balance to dwindle with the recent purchases of binocular/eyepieces, I might just have to order one to see for myself while I still have a Pentax 65EDAII in my possession.
Old Tuesday 30th May 2017, 19:53   #7
huntabsarokee

Just curious if you ever gave it a try?
Old Saturday 3rd June 2017, 11:37   #8
gcole

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntabsarokee View Post
Just curious if you ever gave it a try?
I am sorry for the late reply, I was away & missed this . I no longer have a Pentax 65 EDAII . I will not be having that urge to try out any more eyepieces including the newer version Baader zoom.
Old Monday 12th June 2017, 17:59   #9
huntabsarokee

I thought about trying this EP but looks like I will let the Pentax go since I picked up a new scope. This is an email I received from Baader about the fit with Pentax 65. Seems that it should work.

We could not test it with every spotting scope on the market, but if you use the included spotting scope ring and the included 1,25" barrel, there should be no problem - the Pentax is designed for the 1.25"-standard, and the Hyperion Zoom works with all similar spotting scopes which we have tested. If the Pentax 65 works with any 1,25" eyepiece, then the Hyperion should work fine, too.
Old Monday 9th October 2017, 18:01   #10
Oscar56

Any updates with actual experience using the Mark IV zoom? I have the Pentax 80 for which I also modified the Mark III zoom to address the back focus issue.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: