• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (3 Viewers)

Looks like it's been a good day at Middleton today. unfortunately my 4 hours tonight only returned 1 Green Sandpiper, single Pintail and 3 GWE in the roost again.

This afternoon was my first visit for October and managed 59 species highlights being 1 Great White Egret, 8 Egyptian Geese, 2 Shelduck, 1 hybrid Ruddy Shelduck, 1 Pintail, 1 Peregrine, 1 Golden Plover flew into JWs, 2 Green Sandpiper, 1 Lesser Spotted Woodpecker flew out of tree in farm paddock, 18 Swallow, 2 House Martin and 2 Cetti's Warbler singing.
Yesterday I checked out the new hide at Upton Warren, they now have 7 on their small reserve, this one paid for by Tesco and 5p plastic bag charges I believe. Why can't we have at least one hide overlooking Jubilee Wetlands?

Not much change today, best being 1 Great White Egret, 1 Pintail, 1 Sparrowhawk, 1 Green Sandpiper and 2 Stonechat at north end of JWs.

2 Great White Egret briefly today on JWs but one seen off by the regular. 1 Water Rail by the feeders and 4 Coal Tit on feeders, 1 Stonechat, 4 Raven together.
8 Egyptian Geese, 1 Mandarin Duck NP and a Snipe were reported.

Tonight. Cracking drake Mandarin on the river - completely out of eclipse. About 500 yards upstream of the bridge viewed from the waterski side. Wouldn't come out the trees for a photo though. On JW Pintail and 4 Stonechat (2m, 2f) between the screens. Just the 2 GWE in the roost with 22 Little Egret. Not a wader on the reserve not even a Lapwing.

Attachments

• mand10.jpg
    mand10.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 67
The 2 Great White Egret were still around (1 JWs and 1 NP), 7 Egyptian Geese between JWs and NP (SA had 15 later), on JWs were 1 Dunlin and 1 Greenshank. Other highlights were 1 Snipe, 1 Swallow, 3 Stonechat, 1 Redwing, 1 Chiffchaff, 2 Willow Tit between FMP and canal and 1 Redpoll.

The 2 Great White Egret were still around (1 JWs and 1 NP), 7 Egyptian Geese between JWs and NP (SA had 15 later), on JWs were 1 Dunlin and 1 Greenshank. Other highlights were 1 Snipe, 1 Swallow, 3 Stonechat, 1 Redwing, 1 Chiffchaff, 2 Willow Tit between FMP and canal and 1 Redpoll.

The Egyptian Geese flew south towards KWP about 3pm in two flocks of 7 & 8. Two of them were Juveniles. I don't recall seeing that many on Middleton before, what are previous numbers like Geoff? Also a lone female Goosander on the river.

The Egyptian Geese flew south towards KWP about 3pm in two flocks of 7 & 8. Two of them were Juveniles. I don't recall seeing that many on Middleton before, what are previous numbers like Geoff?
I don't recall any large numbers, the most I've seen were 2.
Not much change today best being 2 Great White Egret, 12+ Egyptian Geese, 1 Pintail, 2 Snipe and 1 Kingfisher HL, a passage of Skylarks in groups of 2s and 3s and 6 Stonechat around JWs.

Some very poor photos of a raptor which was sat on top of a pile of recently-cut vegetation outside the hide around 11am this morning. It stayed put for some time, even when much of the other birdlife was flushed by the arrival of a work party.

A couple who were in the hide with me said they'd seen it on other visits and thought it was a Sparrowhawk, but it looked too small to me. I thought it was possibly a juvenile Kestrel, but looking at photos online suggests it's more likely to be a female Merlin? If it is, that's the second one I've seen in three days, after a male at Earlswood on Wednesday.

Perhaps not obvious that the tail was strongly barred. No obvious yellow eye either.

Help appreciated. Apologies for the quality of the photos - the camera on my phone is crap and I don't have an adaptor for my scope.

Attachments

• 20171027_raptor_1.jpg
    20171027_raptor_1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 20171027_raptor_2.jpg
    20171027_raptor_2.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 20171027_raptor_3.jpg
    20171027_raptor_3.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
In addition to the raptor above:

Great White Egret x 2 (one on North Pit, one on JW)
Before the work party arrived, there was a GWE, a Little Egret and a Grey Heron stood next to each other on one of the islands.

Egyptian Goose x 2 on Dosthill

Large numbers of Wigeon, Teal and Gadwall, sprinkled with Pochard and Shoveler

By mid-morning, there were 20+ Cormorant dotted around JW

Water Rail x 2 along the reedbed by the feeders as I arrived, and then another along the river bank.

Snipe x 2 on JW with a small flock of Lapwing. Further Snipe flushed by the work party on North Pit.

Conservatively 4 pairs of Stonechat at various points around JW.

Several Redwing and two Green Woodpeckers along the canal south of Fishers Mill.

Sparrowhawk over Fishers Mill around 9am.

Several large groups of Woodpigeon flew over heading south. The largest was 100+ birds.

Some very poor photos of a raptor which was sat on top of a pile of recently-cut vegetation outside the hide around 11am this morning. It stayed put for some time, even when much of the other birdlife was flushed by the arrival of a work party.

A couple who were in the hide with me said they'd seen it on other visits and thought it was a Sparrowhawk, but it looked too small to me. I thought it was possibly a juvenile Kestrel, but looking at photos online suggests it's more likely to be a female Merlin? If it is, that's the second one I've seen in three days, after a male at Earlswood on Wednesday.

Perhaps not obvious that the tail was strongly barred. No obvious yellow eye either.

Help appreciated. Apologies for the quality of the photos - the camera on my phone is crap and I don't have an adaptor for my scope.

I've often seen a Kestrel sitting on one those piles. Often it's down one side keeping out of the wind. I saw the same behaviour last year which makes me wonder if it's the same bird.

I've often seen a Kestrel sitting on one those piles. Often it's down one side keeping out of the wind. I saw the same behaviour last year which makes me wonder if it's the same bird.

Thanks Paul.
There was little wind this morning, so it was sat on the top of the pile.

The more I look at photos online, the more sure I am that it was a female Merlin. I can't find any photos of female or juvenile Kestrels with plumage as dark as this bird, nor with a white band around the neck as extensive as this bird. On the other hand, I can find plenty of photos of similar-looking female Merlins.

For example:
http://www.gobirding.eu/Images/Raptors/Falcons/Merlin/Merlin, Colliford Lake, 23-Nov-13 (3) L.JPG

http://www.oiseaux-birds.com/falconiformes/faucon-emerillon/faucon-emerillon-female-aa2.jpg

http://www.ianandhelen.co.uk/Female-Merlin.jpg

I agree it does look a bit like a Merlin.
I haven't visited Midd Lakes since Monday as I've rejoined the WMBC and been checking out Belvide, it seems much better than my last visit 15 years ago, plenty of hides too.
The Midd Lakes year list is now on 160 with the addition of 11 Whooper Swan on the 18/10 per RSPB.

I could live with that being a Merlin although it looks more like a male?

Thanks Phil.

Not obvious from my photos, but the wing feathers are a dark brown (rather than the greyer tones of the male?) and what I could see of the front of the bird was lacking the orange wash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back