• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (2 Viewers)

An inevitable addition today:

70: Redwing

A singleton over.

As for Citril Finch - I've only ever seen one.

Last edited:
A great day adding 8 species to my year list encouraged me to add it up and I got to 91. Highlights this year have been:-

Scaup
Velvet Scoter
Sooty Shearwater
Pomarine Skua
Black Tern
Turtle Dove

It could be higher if I spent more time seawatching from home, but Whitburn Obs is 300 metres closer to the sea and doesn't involve having to view through a gap in houses.

Bryan: I've just been checking my World List - and see that Grey Cowled Wood-Rail is a synonym of Grey-necked - so I have seen that one!

Hi Halftwo,

Please allow me a bit of a thread drift. I think it might be connected to Garden lists.

The various authorities (Cornell and A.O.U. so far) have deemed that the “Gray-necked Wood Rail” is now two species, the “Gray-cowled Wood Rail” and the “Russet-naped Wood Rail”. To my knowledge this change has only occurred in the past year. That means you've seen one or maybe even both!

http://checklist.aou.org/nacc/proposals/comments/2016_A_comments_web.html#2016-A-6
https://neotropical.birds.cornell.edu/Species-Account/nb/species/gycwor1/overview

My local authorities say the area we are in has the Gray-cowled Wood Rail. The two species apparently don't overlap much.

Please don't think I am putting myself forward as an expert in Taxonomy, I am most certainly not, especially since genetics is now getting involved. I merely am reporting what the various authorities are now saying.
Its all very confusing for me as stuff keeps falling out the back of my brain all the time and these changes don't help matters.

For fun, here are my current paintings for the two (new) species. The painting of the individual on the branch by the water is the Gray-cowled Wood Rail, the other the Russet-naped Wood Rail. Very subtle differences in markings but there nonetheless.
Cheers,
Bryan

Attachments

• IMG_0717.JPG
    IMG_0717.JPG
    591.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0718.JPG
    IMG_0718.JPG
    580.9 KB · Views: 40
Rufous-breasted Wren

Rufous-breasted Wren,

A new garden species and a lifer for me, noice!

I had been hearing its call for days now and could not place it, Troglodytidae family, yes but the species had stumped me. Got some good views of it too.

Hi Halftwo,

Please allow me a bit of a thread drift. I think it might be connected to Garden lists.

The various authorities (Cornell and A.O.U. so far) have deemed that the “Gray-necked Wood Rail” is now two species, the “Gray-cowled Wood Rail” and the “Russet-naped Wood Rail”. To my knowledge this change has only occurred in the past year. That means you've seen one or maybe even both!

http://checklist.aou.org/nacc/proposals/comments/2016_A_comments_web.html#2016-A-6
https://neotropical.birds.cornell.edu/Species-Account/nb/species/gycwor1/overview

My local authorities say the area we are in has the Gray-cowled Wood Rail. The two species apparently don't overlap much.

Please don't think I am putting myself forward as an expert in Taxonomy, I am most certainly not, especially since genetics is now getting involved. I merely am reporting what the various authorities are now saying.
Its all very confusing for me as stuff keeps falling out the back of my brain all the time and these changes don't help matters.

For fun, here are my current paintings for the two (new) species. The painting of the individual on the branch by the water is the Gray-cowled Wood Rail, the other the Russet-naped Wood Rail. Very subtle differences in markings but there nonetheless.
Cheers,
Bryan

I'll have to dig out my notebooks to see where I saw mine - I only saw one I'm sure...watch this space. Thanks for the update, Bryan. Lovely paintings btw.

To Richard Prior , Lovely warm sunny daytime weather but last couple nights very cold . Several birds by back door this morning looking as if asking for food and warmth so I have filled one of the feeders on the feeder pole in middle of garden by trees and a bush.
Had to stop having feeders by the patio which is right by my back door last year because of sudden viewings of mice and one time a rat I intensely dislike both !

Hi Halftwo,

Cheers,
Bryan

Wow! What a paintings! :eek!: You can put those for any bird book... at least if it Birds of Tropic American or something like that. :t:

I have seen 4 for yours gardenticks (but not in my garden).

No winter here yet, but I put one feeder on garden. Magpies found it first. Then Great and Blue Tits, Tree Sparrows and Hooded Crows. Also the Crossbills are still around (not the feeder).
But otherwise: it rains, it rains and it rains...

Northern Water Thrush

Northern Water Thrush, in the Hibiscus bushes today, first one this season.

Wow! What a paintings! You can put those for any bird book... at least if it Birds of Tropic American or something like that.

Hello Warixenjalka
Thanks for the comment, in fact that is what we are doing, a field guide of the endemics of Central America.
The Wood Rails of course are not endemics. Those two paintings belong to a different set called a 101commons of Central America.

Speaking of Wood Rails, our resident Rail surprised us by wandering right up to our open patio door then after having a peep inside as casual as you please sauntered back across the lawn. Great fun.

Cheers,
Bryan

I thought I was hallucinating this morning when three large finches flew past my window - quite low and close. I thought, "hmm Hawfinches - not possible."

I've just been out and seen another overhead a km away !
Now I'm convinced!!

71: HAWFINCH !!!!!!!

I can't believe it myself so if you don't I won't blame you !
Haven't seen one in years!

I thought I was hallucinating this morning when three large finches flew past my window - quite low and close. I thought, "hmm Hawfinches - not possible."

I've just been out and seen another overhead a km away !
Now I'm convinced!!

71: HAWFINCH !!!!!!!

I can't believe it myself so if you don't I won't blame you !
Haven't seen one in years!

Well done H!...my favourite, a couple were seen locally (several miles away) on Monday, then on Tuesday I had a highly probable (fore-shortened and in silhouette bounce over the roof), am still awaiting......:-C

First proper frost overnight so it's back to windscreen scraping (or covering) :-C..
All the pumpkin and butternut leaves looked a bit sick as a result so we decided to harvest the lot (the pumpkins, not the leaves;)) I'm glad we did because as we walked out of the house a

82 Citril Finch

flew low over our heads, so they are on the move already. Later a flock of 7 Siskins paused in the leylandii 'tree' for a minute. Still a few Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs and Black Redstarts tarrying though so I'm looking out for any exotic fellow travellers (Yellow-browed warbler would be nice....).

Only ever seen one of the above...certainly not from the house though! However I can vouch for "exotic fellow travellers" as being most agreeable. ;)

No need to rub it in Ken!
Nothing exotic so far this week here though a hybrid Lesser/Greater Spotted Eagle from Jos’ neck of the woods passed by the local ( well, 45kms away) migration viewpoint yesterday.
Did see 2 Red billed Choughs just 5 minutes’ drive though so here’s hoping.....

No need to rub it in Ken!
Nothing exotic so far this week here

Yes but...I was hoping to make the hat-trick for consecutive years Richard. ;)
Think I've missed that window now, unless there's a change of wind direction and another surge of Phylloscs.from the N/East. Was hoping to make 80 species this year, don't think that's do-able this time, the price you pay for taking time out, still mustn't grumble....but then "H" is 3 Hawfinches up on me.:-C

Fasciated Toger Heron amoung others

Ok, four new ones,
We were very excited to see number 52, the Fasciated Tiger Heron. Fast moving rivers with lots of rocks are their habitat so its about time we saw one here. The olive Striped Flycatcher was a good one as well as its a lifer, bonus.

52 Fasciated Tiger-Heron.
53 Brown-headed Parrot
54 Olive-striped Flycatcher
55 Black-striped Sparrow

What I'm not seeing here are any of the the North American migrants. We should have Scarlet and Summer Tanagers and various Warblers at the feeder, very conspicuous in their absense at the moment.

Bryan,

At last!...Hawfinch flying over neighbour's house at 9.30am, interestingly using the same flight path as the ''probable'' seen earlier in the week. No.75.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back