Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 9th October 2017, 12:06   #26
613Orm

Of reasons given below I have not mentioned that I did send the Victory FL and photos of the problem to Zeiss in Wetzlar last year. I got the answer that what I see is a reflection of the light due to my strong light source, and that when not using the light the problem cannot be seen (see the full answer from Zeiss below). I have ever since then been sceptical (and worried) of this explanation as I find that it is quite obvious there is something on the prism surface. Finally, after months with this gnawing uncertainty I decided to describe the feature to the community to see if anyone else had seen it and what other explanations I could get. I did not want to begin the thread sounding like some criticism against Zeiss. I also felt it could bias others in their comments. I did also not pursue the thing with Zeiss any further. It had cost 70E to ship the binoculars there and I was not going to send them back again as I anticipated I was going to get the same answer.

From Zeiss:

"Thanks allot for the pictures and your exact discription of the prisms from your binocular! We have check the item an can now explain what you have seen in the binocular.The "'blob' is glue witch hold the prism in the mechanik part from the complete prism. The cloudy cover is an reflection from the very bright light that you use to see the details in the prism. The reflction comes from the blank side of the glas. These surface reflectet the bright light an we also see this effect. Without the bright lite there is no reflection."
Old Tuesday 10th October 2017, 11:03   #27
Troubador

This confirms the prism is glued to the 'cage' (what they call the 'mechanik part') and since the glue is not in the light path you have nothing to worry about. So enjoy your binos and good luck.

Lee
Old Wednesday 11th October 2017, 09:54   #28
613Orm

Thank you Lee and all of you for the discussions!
I feel relieved to know that the glue and the strange feature it has caused are not on a surface affecting the light path! The answer I got from Zeiss at that time did only increase my concerns as it was not explaining the observation. I wish they could have given the same answer as Lee. It would have saved me the worries. Maybe they never saw what I meant. No use in speculating. Well, if anyone else sees the same thing in their binoculars now you know what it is and that it most likely has no effect on the performance.

orm
Old Wednesday 11th October 2017, 11:29   #29
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by 613Orm View Post
Thank you Lee and all of you for the discussions!
I feel relieved to know that the glue and the strange feature it has caused are not on a surface affecting the light path! The answer I got from Zeiss at that time did only increase my concerns as it was not explaining the observation. I wish they could have given the same answer as Lee. It would have saved me the worries. Maybe they never saw what I meant. No use in speculating. Well, if anyone else sees the same thing in their binoculars now you know what it is and that it most likely has no effect on the performance.

orm
Thank you for your kind words and thanks also to Dipped of Suffolk who also concluded the glue is not within the light path.

Lee
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: